"Favourite" Harry Potter plot hole/problem/criticism

For me, it's:
1. Regarding plot threads - Wormtail is completely useless after GOF. It seems that Harry saving his life would have some bigger consequences (maybe he would sacrifice his life killing some important death eater?) but no. He appears for a while in HBP and just dies in DH.
2. Regarding worldbuilding - why are wizards so uncreative with spells? For example, AK is punished by life sentence. Why aren't they committing murders by e.g. transforming a person into a rock and the burying it somewhere? Why don't they make themselves invisible using magic as it happened in OOTF? By the way, why are invisible cloaks so rare and expensive if magic can do the same?
3. Regarding characters - Harry Potter is kinda pathetic sometimes. For example, when he becomes quidditch captain in HBP, he should said something like:
>I am fighting a wizard Hitler, fuck this broom game bullshit
and go study in order to be the best. It bothers me that in DF when they are camping, Hermione still cats anti-dark magic spells. It should have been Harry's job.

What's yours?

Attached: hp.jpg (474x248, 17.62K)

>1 yea idk. Worm tail was a shit character I’m kinda glad he fell off
>2 because magic the magic was incredibly formulaic, most wizards relied on memorizing exactly how to cast pre-determined spells. Only the really powerful/studied ones had any understanding of how it fundamentally worked
>3 Harry not really wanting to be the chosen one was a big plot point. He just wanted to avoid it and rely on dumbledore for guidance. Hermoine was casting spells because she was better at it. Stealth spells wouldn’t be something most people use a lot, esp when they can be broken by a stronger wizard

>the cloak
I forget exactly but I think they listed how the cloak was similar to other forms of stealth magic but without the downfalls, that’s why it was so powerful. It removed you from the mauraders map for instance. No other spells/artifacts could do all that without tradeoffs

>1 yea idk. Worm tail was a shit character I’m kinda glad he fell off
He was the first bad Gryffindor that we met and it seems that JKR was building him up to be someone important later.
>2 because magic the magic was incredibly formulaic, most wizards relied on memorizing exactly how to cast pre-determined spells. Only the really powerful/studied ones had any understanding of how it fundamentally worked
That's part of the problem, we actually don't know how is it supposed to work. For example, how did Voldy jinx DADA professor job? Couldn't he do the same to other positions?
>Hermoine was casting spells because she was better at it.
Harry was better than her on DADA exam in OOTP. She should even admit that he is better at this and that she trusts his skills.
>but without the downfalls
Well, it could still be bypassed by Moody's eye.
>do all that without tradeoffs
We don't even know what those tradeoffs are. JKR could just explain that e.g. this spells works for a very short time or something but we got nothing.

I mean to say, it is not a travelling cloak imbued with a Disillusionment Charm, or carrying a Bedazzling Hex, or else woven from Demiguise hair, which will hide one initially but fade with the years until it turns opaque. We are talking about a cloak that really and truly renders the wearer completely invisible, and endures eternally, giving constant and impenetrable concealment, no matter what spells are cast at it.
It’s def a retcon but one of her best ones I feel

I remember this but it does not convince me, it makes Harry's cloak just marginally more useful. Wizards should still use Disillusionment Charm much more often, especially before fights.

>voldy cursing the dada job
I think it was implied he did something at the school when he visited but dumbledore wasn’t sure what it was. Like a curse on the charter or something. He was able to manipulate the old and powerful magic at the school to some extent, possibly by being the heir of slytherin. I always got the vibes riddle and dumbledore were one of the few wizards talented enough to really comprehend the foundational properties of magic and come up with stuff accordingly. They make a massive deal in the DH that voldy could just outright fly, something no other wizard had ever been able to do. Some wizards might invent a spell or two like snape did but not to Voldemort’s level. All his failures were tied to his lack of character/perspective and arrogance. Without those flaws he probably could’ve done almost anything

>They make a massive deal in the DH that voldy could just outright fly, something no other wizard had ever been able to do.
And yet he taught Snape how to do the same.
>I think it was implied he did something at the school when he visited but dumbledore wasn’t sure what it was. Like a curse on the charter or something. He was able to manipulate the old and powerful magic at the school to some extent, possibly by being the heir of slytherin.
Possible but still a speculation. My general problem is that some magic in HP is very mystical/fairy-tale like and vague (like cursing job position) and some of it is very precise and technical (certain spells must be pronounced correctly with according wand movements) and those two styles just don't go well together.

>wizard fights should be more complex
I respect the opinion but disagree that it’s an oversight. We routinely see wizards cast shield spells, forcefully end another wizards spells, etc etc. A wizard duel is less like a gunfight and more like a wrestling match to the death. Having a really good bodylock takedown might be the difference between winning and losing against an enemy who can’t defend that move well, but it’s more like a grinding struggle than “oh I have a counter for a move you use so I automatically win completely with ease since I planned better”

>wizard fights should be more complex
Actually, I did not said that. I said that they should be generally more creative with magic and using it to avoid fight/other problems. With actual fights, it may even be quite the opposite. I think that the Killing Curse should not exist as it makes me wonder why they just don't spam it all the time instead as it can't be blocked.

the fact that ron's older brothers saw some guy named Wormtail following their brother around and sleeping in his room every night on the marauder's map but never said anything about it.

Are black people seen as lesser than mudbloods or the same

why wouldn't you use polyjuice potion to turn yourself into hermione and then go to any of the boys dormitories

1. There are a lot of pointless characters that get introduced and then fail to do anything meaningful, like Hagrid or most of Ron's family.
2. The author is a woman and women rarely write about anything other than themselves or their bodily fluids, and whenever they write anything larger than that they tend to be really fucking uncreative.
3. Harry is a very feminine character in that he's never really proactive within the story, he just goes along with whatever is happening or what other characters tell him to do.

That is brought up many times but I don't even consider it a plot hole:
1. Fred and George simply did not have a reason to look at Ron - they were using map for their pranks and were checking for Filch/teachers.
2. Even if they did, they may not remember who even Pettigrew is. They could have thought that he is Ron's classmate.

>I didn’t say that
I feel it’s obvious that’s what you’re implying. A more larger more creative system (that I’m assuming you want to be coherent) would also need to be more complex. The killing curse being unblockable is a weird case I’ll admit. It’s often overlooked that for that spell you really need the power and emotions to get it to work though. Presumably it IS blockable but only by an emotional based spell of equal or greater magnitude (like how Harry’s mom blocked Voldemort’s, which she did so powerfully it rebounded directly back to him). We don’t really see it being used a lot, except by a handful of the truly evil characters so it stands to reason it’s not like handing a ten year old a gun and as long as they can pull the trigger they can easily kill someone. Maybe more like bringing a knife to a wrestling match.

The entire plot to Order of the Phoenix is retarded. Did she seriously expect anyone to believe Voldemort didn't know the prophecy balls in the ministry weren't real? He was supposedly smart as fuck, almost on par with Dumbledore (who knew.)

I never thought the curse of the DADA position was an actual curse, but instead just happened to be dangerous because voldemort constantly kept trying his shenanigans every year. The idea of cursing an abstract thing like a teaching position seemed really far fetched but I guess it makes sense if saying his name is cursed too like in the 7th book.

>>the cloak
>I forget exactly but I think they listed how the cloak was similar to other forms of stealth magic but without the downfalls, that’s why it was so powerful. It removed you from the mauraders map for instance. No other spells/artifacts could do all that without tradeoffs
The cloak was a random retcon, when it is introduced in PS Ron reacts in a "Man, that's kinda cool" way, he's impressed but his reaction does not imply this is some legendary object nobody has seen for thousands of years (Even tough in DH he specifically says his mom used to tell him the story of the Deathly Hallows all the time), instead like all of the Deathly Hallows, the cloak somehow comes out of nowhere as an artifact far more powerful and important than initially established, which was stupid anyway because the Deathly Hallows had little to no point at the end of the story, and all that stuff about becoming the "Master of Death" is never addressed when Harry has access to all three relics.

>3. Harry is a very feminine character in that he's never really proactive within the story, he just goes along with whatever is happening or what other characters tell him to do.
Agreed. Rowling doesn't think that a teenage boy thrust into the world of magic won't try to gobble up every scrap of knowledge and history and instead be a lazy loser like Ron and get Hermione to do all of their homework for them, doubly so as Harry's life gets more and more dangerous. Harry should've gotten the Sarah Connor treatment where he starts prepping against Voldy.

The problem is that she hadn't come up with the prophecy balls until that point, otherwise nothing would have stopped Voldy from stealing that shit in year 1 while he was controlling Quirrel.

Also, the prophecy is, like many later plot points, really fucking pointless and it's only there to establish the whole "Chosen one" nonsense, in reality nothing the prophecy says would have been of use to Voldy, all it says is that the one with the power to defeat him has been born, that Voldy will mark him as his equal and that he has a power that Voldy doesn't, this is all stuff that had been established the very night Voldy tried to kill Harry.

It’s definitely a retcon but pretty deftly done, esp when compared to her other ones. Lunas dad says at one point there are several items that do something close to the cloak but none quite on par with the cloak itself. Pretty much a straight up explanation for why no one noticed or thought it was strange. Like an mmo item that seems kinda basic but with the right build becomes completely broken.

>Hagrid or most of Ron's family
I don't have problem with that, not everyone has to do something meaningful, Hagrid is important in PS but mostly serves as a background character.
>women rarely write about anything other than themselves or their bodily fluids
Kek.
>The entire plot to Order of the Phoenix is retarded
The same with GOF.
>Did she seriously expect anyone to believe Voldemort didn't know the prophecy balls in the ministry weren't real? He was supposedly smart as fuck, almost on par with Dumbledore (who knew.)
I may be misremembering something but I have different problem: why couldn't Dumbledore just grab this prophecy and destroy it or plant fake/trap prophecy in its place? He surely could be able to pull this off.
>I never thought the curse of the DADA position was an actual curse, but instead just happened to be dangerous
That was I was thinking too but it's at least implied that it's an actual curse (harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Jinx_on_the_post_of_Defence_Against_the_Dark_Arts_teacher).
>"Master of Death" is never addressed when Harry has access to all three relics.
That's actually the point - being "Master of Death" means fully realizing that death is inevitable and greeting it as an old friend.

>I may be misremembering something but I have different problem: why couldn't Dumbledore just grab this prophecy and destroy it or plant fake/trap prophecy in its place? He surely could be able to pull this off.
Not just that but also, why would it be in the ministry at all? The prophecy was made by Trelawney at Hogwarts, why would the ministry have any knowledge of it, let alone any power to take it away elsewhere, especially when Dumbledore very clearly does not trust the ministry.

Imagine being filtered by Harry Potter.. Embarrassing.

There was some kind of rule where only the person who the prophecy was about could retrieve it. That’s why they had to get Harry to grab it then the death eaters were going to steal it right after. I think Voldemort thought there was something more important in there, but it turned out to be “has a power the dark lord doesn’t” or something like that. Which dumbledore thought referred to love or friendship or some gay shit, everyone thought was lame but ended up being true.

Maybe they just appear automatically after being said in the ministry due to some off-screen (off-page?) magical mumbo-jumbo. That it can actually accept.

>There was some kind of rule where only the person who the prophecy was about could retrieve it.
True but Dumbledore could destroy it then.
>That’s why they had to get Harry to grab it then the death eaters were going to steal it right after.
They could also destroy it and listen to it. But maybe they just didn't know that.

How did that bigass 3 foot thick snake get out of the pipes and into the school? Does wizard plumbing not have valves or faucets? Are thye not pressurised, for that matter? Is there somewhere with a huge opening for it to get through at regular intervals throughout the castle? Why does a magic castle even need plumbing, much less pipes that could fit that enormous snake in them?

The department of mysteries was its own mysterious branch. I don’t think the administration had much direct involvement. The people who worked there were like masked unknowns or something who never left if I’m remembering correctly. And it wasn’t taken very seriously.

>they could destroy it and listen to it
I think it says in the books that’s impossible. Like it just wouldn’t move at all, or their hand would go through it, or they wouldn’t see it or something. It had to Harry or voldy that took it off the shelf at all

>Why does a magic castle even need plumbing
Even wizards need to shit
>inb4 magically making shit go away

>How did that bigass 3 foot thick snake get out of the pipes and into the school? Does wizard plumbing not have valves or faucets? Are thye not pressurised, for that matter? Is there somewhere with a huge opening for it to get through at regular intervals throughout the castle?
All of this I can accept too. It's like asking "how did villain get funds for building this elaborate underground base". You just have to go with it.

Yes, they would need Harry/Voldy to take it from the shelf. But still, prophecy balls can be destroyed (and many of them are) without being retrieved first, you just have to physically break them. And then listen to what the prophecy said. But then again, bad guys may have not known that at this point.

What a gay response.

My favorite moment was when supposed Goody-Two-Shoes Hermione cast a dark spell on an innocent girl because she blabbed to Umbridge out of fear and desperation because Umbridge was threatening to have her mother sacked and their entire family disgraced, gave her permanent scars on the face and then Harry actually ended his relationship with Cho to side with Hermione like a childish, vengeful little girl because Cho had the gall to say that all of this was really fucking petty and cruel.

>threatening to have her mother sacked and their entire family disgraced
Was it explicitly said in the books? I've gotten an impression that this girl just betrayed them out of her will.
I don't have problem with Hermione's behavior there, she may have gone too far but they were in a desperate situation and she warned them that secrecy is a must.

There's also that time Hermione physically assaults Ron with that canary spell

I don't remember Luna doing much.

I googled it.
>you’re right they can destroyed by anyone
>voldy only heard about the beginning of the prophecy originally, he wanted to know the rest, that’s why the death eaters were trying to get Harry to pick it up
>if anyone else tries to touch it they will instantly go mad
>it was destroyed then and no one got to listen to it, but it was originally made to dumbledore so he showed Harry in the memory dish thing
>Voldemort never heard the part about Harry having a secret power that he didn’t, which might have caused him to take the “love and friends are magic” bullshit more seriously

>secrecy is a must.
Perhaps, but if the fucking cat is already out of the bag then what's the fucking point of harming her other than petty revenge? And especially with a dark spell that causes permanent bodily damage ON THE FACE? It really does not paint Hermione as this sweet angel of charity we're supposed to think she is, and Harry ending his entire relaitonship with Cho just because she disagreed with Hermione's methods was a really bad look too.

Wasn’t there a plot point where some old headmaster had tried to use muggle plumbing to update the bathrooms but they had no idea how it worked since they had zero reason to learn physics?

That’s what she gets for snitching to the government

>saying his name is cursed too like in the 7th book.
That was the Trace. They took the spell that senses underageb& wizards using magic and tweaked to instead target anyone saying Voldemort.

>Perhaps, but if the fucking cat is already out of the bag then what's the fucking point of harming her other than petty revenge?
So that if she betrays them but doesn't give away all the information, others would know that they've been compromised and that they should keep their mouths shut unless they want to look like her.
>And especially with a dark spell that causes permanent bodily damage ON THE FACE?
Well, they were in an illegal group learning how to fight against Voldy, time for fucking around is over.
>It really does not paint Hermione as this sweet angel of charity
Maybe that was the point too.
>Harry ending his entire relaitonship with Cho
It was crumbling anyway.
Don't remember anything like this.
>they had zero reason to learn physics
Yeah, they could use some of this muggle knowledge.

The space base from Moonraker was funded by the bad guy killing a millionaire, stealing his wealth and creating a mining company. It's not realistic but there was an effort to explain what's going on.
Anything is better than "shush, just play along"

>Anything is better than "shush, just play along"
Yes, that's why people try to explain it movies.stackexchange.com/questions/26867/how-does-the-basilisk-roam-around-hogwarts
I just think that there are much more interesting/important issues.

Yeah I hate how people try to paint Hermione as some perfect and always in the right good person when she could be a total vindictive cunt.
Not to mention how she straight up erased her parents memories and replaced them with a completely different identity, that shit is fucked up.

>Not to mention how she straight up erased her parents memories and replaced them with a completely different identity, that shit is fucked up.
She did this to protect them and apparently reversed it after Voldy got BTFO.

It’s still a really fucked up thing to do even if it’s for a good reason.
Like imagine having some chick show up saying she’s actually your daughter and she mindwiped you completely and everything you thought and felt in your memories was false.

>It's said a lot, but Harry doesn't cast a single spell his first year at magic school
>Peeves is completely absent from the movies
>Hermione's ill-advised elf-emancipation club is completely absent from the movies
>What the hell wizard jobs even are there except working at the MoM or teaching at wizard school?
>How do wizards have an economy when it seems like you can do/conjure anything for free with magic?
>Why did wizards set up a school next to the "Enchanted" Forest of Doom? And furthermore, why didn't they build a massive wall between it and the school to keep retarded children out of the deathtrap woods?
>Why does everyone wear wizardy pajamas everywhere the first couple years, but then everyone starts wearing muggle clothes and the robes are just a school uniform?

I checked for you user.
Apparently some long ago slytherin headmaster covered up the chamber when hogwarts was getting retrofitted for plumbing. The school was originally made in the Middle Ages so they had to update that aspect. Wizards used to just shit in a chamber pot and use personal magic to disappear it instead of emptying it into the yard like muggles. I guess they liked the idea of not having to pull out their wand and look at their shit so they copied muggle plumbing without really knowing how it worked. So there’s no traditional plumbing or water pressure to maintain, just tubes that teleport in water from a lake and then falls into a magical expanding pipe or something like that.

>Peeves is completely absent from the movies
>Hermione's ill-advised elf-emancipation club is completely absent from the movies
Probably for the better.
>What the hell wizard jobs even are there except working at the MoM or teaching at wizard school?
Never understood this criticism - there is journalism, sports, business, banking, medicine, art...pretty much like our world.
>How do wizards have an economy when it seems like you can do/conjure anything for free with magic?
That's a point for separate discussion - you can't conjure food and some other things too. I would assume you cannot conjure individually produced items like school books, flying brooms or elixirs.
>Why did wizards set up a school next to the "Enchanted" Forest of Doom?
Maybe on purpose - to hide in remote part of the country.
>And furthermore, why didn't they build a massive wall between it and the school to keep retarded children out of the deathtrap woods?
Centaur didn't want to pay for it.

> Why did wizards set up a school next to the "Enchanted" Forest of Doom?
I like to think that the forest used to have a completely nicer name and reputation back when the castle was first built, it became the Forbidden Forest after Hagrid started there and releasing his pets into it.

I remember the general idea and wizards removing their shit meme but this was completely absent from the books. One of many things JKR just added later.

>what wizard jobs are there
I agree, wish they had given us more on that. A really underexplored area of the universe. I’d imagine the wizarding world just isn’t that big, and ideas of wealth would be different, but still. Off the top of my head I can think of a few examples though:
>writer (newspaper, historian)
>magic animal handler/breeder/hunter
>shop keeper
>potion master
>banking/whatever Ron’s oldest brother did (artifact finder or some shit)
>quidditch adjacent industry, brooms, athletes etc
>restaurant owner/cook
>herb grower
>gameskeeper/groundskeeper
You’d really only need money to buy other magical goods, so maybe most people just chilled. Although I could’ve sworn it was supposed to be impossible to conjure food, but I could be wrong there

>Although I could’ve sworn it was supposed to be impossible to conjure food, but I could be wrong there
Yes, said it in my post .

Maybe it was a tweet then from JK that got added to the wiki. I could’ve sworn the part about the headmaster hiding the chamber was in the books but not sure. It makes sense to me though given the age of the school. It doesn’t really make sense that the modern bathrooms would have always been there. I’m not much of a plotfag so as there’s a decent enough explanation that could fit I don’t need the book to explicitly say it.

I always thought the time turners and their convenient destruction was gay as fuck. The story really didn’t need a super op time travel device, and the line that deleted them was the right choice after the fact but I wish they had never been introduced.

Do you remember the rest of that list? I’m thinking it was like gold, water, food, and maybe something else.

all the teachers know like 2000 spells, all the students know like 3
she wrote it into the plot towards the end however even by then they would have known like 100 spells. so it remains unexplained

>I wish they had never been introduced.
My thoughts exactly. Even thought I like POA, something like this would never be given to a student, no matter how bright she is.

>Wizard jobs: banker
All the bankers were (((goblins))), and it seemed like the only shops worth mentioning were on Diagon and Knockturn Alleys, so not a terribly big job market. I think pretty much all the professional cooks were elves too? I'm just saying, a lot of jobs weren't for humans.

Couldn't they just steal whatever they need from muggles? Make some rocks look like gold and switch them out at Fort Knox? Pop some apples into a disappearing bag at the grocery store? Charm some sap into cooking you dinner because he'll think you're old friends?

I don't think the rest was specified. I assume it should be at least money/gold and individually crafted items (e.g. elixirs). Water - probably not, as there is an Aguamenti spell. It is also weird that you can conjure animals/plants which can be turned into food.
>All the bankers were (((goblins)))
Yes but there were other positions, Charlie Weasley worked for Gringotts, I think.
>only shops worth mentioning were on Diagon and Knockturn Alleys
Many shops in Hogsmeade.
>I think pretty much all the professional cooks were elves too
In Hogwarts yes, may be different in other places.

>Regarding plot threads - Wormtail is completely useless after GOF. It seems that Harry saving his life would have some bigger consequences (maybe he would sacrifice his life killing some important death eater?) but no. He appears for a while in HBP and just dies in DH
This seems pretty in character. A redemption arc for wormtail would have been dumb. He did exactly what I would have expected him to do.
>Regarding worldbuilding - why are wizards so uncreative with spells? For example, AK is punished by life sentence. Why aren't they committing murders by e.g. transforming a person into a rock and the burying it somewhere? Why don't they make themselves invisible using magic as it happened in OOTF? By the way, why are invisible cloaks so rare and expensive if magic can do the same?
Avada Kedavra is one of the worst plot devices in the series. It's just so fucking boring and unimaginative. That said, I'm pretty sure killing someone through alternative means would carry the same sentence. Also, I don't remember anyone going invisible through non-cloak magic in Order of the Phoenix. If you're talking about them all appearing out of nowhere, I think that was a movie only thing and it was just a more cinematic version of apparation
>3. Regarding characters - Harry Potter is kinda pathetic sometimes
Yeah, no. No argument on that one. I don't really like Harry very much

The whole series is one big string of plot holes. Absolutely nothing about the lore is consistent whatsoever.

When I read the parts where wizards are duelling I couldn't imagine it in my head because most spells are one-shot-disable/kill spells like Stupefy, Expelliarmus, Petrificus Totalus, Avada Kedavra
So if a duel goes on for more than 20 seconds it means both duellists have spectacularly poor aim

>Also, I don't remember anyone going invisible through non-cloak magic in Order of the Phoenix
Not OP, but Dumbledore mentions at one point somewhere in the series that he specifically doesn't need a cloak to become invisible, but I think that's just because he's Dumbledore. It's kind of like how Voldemort doesn't need a broom to fly. Certain things are possible for exceptionally powerful wizards, but that's not really an option for most.

Criminals could. But normalish people, which many wizards seem to be, wouldn't do that.

>why couldn't Dumbledore just grab this prophecy and destroy it or plant fake/trap prophecy in its place? He surely could be able to pull this off.
Pretty sure it was Dumbledore's plan to lure Voldemort out to get the prophecy, that's why he had Order people on guard duty at the Department of Mysteries door like Arthur Weasley

My first guess would be that might break the secrecy laws and the ministry would absolutely bust your balls. I honestly don’t know for sure but I think in one book there was a point where the ministry was tracking down someone who confounded some muggles or whatever. I’d guess the rules weren’t super strict but not something you’d want to push. And maybe galleons were like gold that was magically marked or “minted” so to speak

>I forget exactly but I think they listed how the cloak was similar to other forms of stealth magic but without the downfalls, that’s why it was so powerful. It removed you from the mauraders map for instance. No other spells/artifacts could do all that without tradeoffs
Harry also happens to be in possession of the most powerful and effective invisibility cloak that ever existed. I doubt others would remove you from Marauder's map.

>A redemption arc for wormtail would have been dumb
Maybe not an all-out redemption but at least give him something interesting to do. In HBP he's eavesdropping on Snape - maybe he should have more of his own agenda?
>Avada Kedavra is one of the worst plot devices in the series
Yeah, I wrote about it too.
>I'm pretty sure killing someone through alternative means would carry the same sentence
Yes but it could be more difficult to track/prove.
>Also, I don't remember anyone going invisible through non-cloak magic in Order of the Phoenix
Disillusionment Charm. It's crazy that people don't remember it, it's one of the most obvious plot holes for me.
My thoughts exactly.
That's a pretty terrible plan then - poor Arthur couldn't even protect himself from Voldy's snake.

You can Protego most spells except Avada Kedavra

>That's a pretty terrible plan then
Dumbledore knew the full prophecy, knew that even if Voldemort got it it wouldn't give him any important knowledge
Putting Order members on guard duty was bait to get Voldemort and Death Eaters to come to the Ministry or make him think the prophecy was really important since only him or Harry can retrieve the prophecy
And using Harry to get the prophecy is what Voldemort finally did