The Northman

>As of May 1, 2022, The Northman has grossed $22.9 million in the United States and Canada, and $19.1 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $41.9 million.[4][5] According to Variety, the film needs to gross around $200 million in order to break-even theatrically.[40]

What went so horribly, horribly wrong?

Attached: northman-poster-3.png (1080x1600, 1.01M)

not enough superheroes

i don't like viking crap

Retards eat raw meat in theater so everyone else didn't go.

This film doesn't fit in with the modern cinema. It doesn't have enough big names, it's set in medieval times, there's no superheroes or jokes, it's a completely serious film with a pretty classic plot.

That's not what the modern cinema is about. Movie franchises/comic book movies is what sells now.
Even the most dogshit marvel movie will sell better than the Northman, because that's what the cinema audience is now: Comic book movies.

>Even the most dogshit marvel movie will sell better than the Northman, because that's what the cinema audience is now: Comic book movies.
No, they want superhero movies, more specifically. If you try to adapt non-superhero comics, the result will be the same as The Norfman.

Yeah that's what I meant, superhero comics. I'm surprised people don't get bored of it honestly.

Attached: faggot.jpg (1280x960, 271.02K)

Maybe they shouldn’t have had a 200 mil budget for a Hamlet adaptation? Lmao

modern audiences are too retarded

China will save it.

Alexander Skarsgaard is a bigger box office killer than Jax from SoA

Retarded burgers tried to meme it as black panther for white people and it scared normies off

Attached: 1651393557776.jpg (1080x964, 165.43K)

Attached: 1651448500380.jpg (482x729, 208.62K)

>According to Variety
This.

>raw ground meat
kek what the fuck

I call bullshit, the whole thing was shot either inside a log hut, in a pretend Viking boat or outdoors in a park somewhere in Iceland, the whole thing could be made here for under a million. Catering by Domino's.

Subject matter of this kind is more suited for streaming these days. It should had been made as a series or a HBO movie

Well, China did fund it.

>It doesn't have enough big names

I would argue that it does, but not that anything of that nature matters in today's cinema. The Marvel logo is only reason that dictates whether a great movie will flop or if a garbage movie will make a billion dollars.

It just wasn't that good.

box office isn't the end all be all, a lot of people will rent it on streaming services and that will net them a good amount of cash.

Godzilla vs Kong made
$468.2 million and Tarzan made $356.7 million so this probably has more to do with The Northman being very niche

I guess the traditional action movie audiences have been alienated away from the medium a long time ago to the point where it's impossible to get them back. They've moved on to other hobbies. Like tuning their cars, or fishing, or whatever it is that bored 50 year old men do.

Was the plot really that hard to follow?

Attached: genuinely interested in viking culture.jpg (502x1236, 171.45K)

All the people in your pic are literal brainlets.

The plot is incredibly simple and easy to follow, it's just a classic revenge plot with the MC high as shit and hallucinating through most of it.

>What went so horribly, horribly wrong?
Eggers directs visually attractive films with dumb plots. Also however well Alexander Skarsgard does on TV, Hollywood has been pushing that shit for 10+ years and the people have already said no repeatedly.

I cant even find that tweet when I try to look it up.

Not at all. Your average retard was baited from the trailers thinking this will be fast and furious but with Norse ships instead of cars.

The last time viking shit was popular was when Ragnar died. This shit has been beaten to death and nobody today cares much about it. Plus theaters as a whole is dying. It's just capeshit these days making money.

Asian here, I don't see this film in theaters.

What gives?

Take it from someone not involved in this cringe bubble, marketing for the film seems low, story seems generic, no big actors, inflation, one too many big blockbusters too many, historical film? You're asking for people not to watch, people like garbage now, so if it isn't mcu trash people are not gonna watch

Maybe they are better at selling the Blu-ray.

Every film that's not capeshit or part of a franchise has flopped recently, a film like this was dead on arrival, see The Last Duel for another example.

>wanted to watch this one more time in cinema
>gets pulled from my local theater so Dr Strange can get all screens

Attached: 123456.jpg (1296x1080, 152.27K)

god damn how long is this trend going to be so dominant? Has it lasted longer than the cowboy movie era did?

Marvel has a 10 year plan and I don't think there has been any significant regression in terms of financial success. As long as these films keep printing money they will continue to make them.

>marketing for the film seems low
The marketing isn't low, but misleading.

>no big actors
The cast is stacked.

jew media gave it bad press, just like they do with everything white

Watched it to an almost full kino in Bulgaria. I think the marketing was low too. I myself basically shilled it to people at work and almost noone from the fake nerd capeshitters knew it was airing.

high budget with zero marketing
it was set up to fail

When can i torrent it?

I live in the Balkans as well and I was surprised when I heard an ad about it on the radio.

anyone have dvd rip magnet?

Just got home from watching it with gf. This was OFW (our face when) the movie.
Me on the left.
It was a great, classic movie. Much less artsy fartsy than The VVitch and The Lighthouse. Had a good "cinema" feel to it too.

Attached: hotfuzz.jpg (640x360, 18.74K)

Gen Z fags(like my uncle) who love Gladiator and Gibson 90s movies will watch it. Audience was mostly those type of people.

Movie appears to be super fucking vague and people have been conditioned to stay home unless something familiar takes greater priority. Poor marketing. Not stylized enough to be a cult classic like 300

This movie fucking ruled. I sincerely don't understand why it underperformed box office wise. I'm confident it will have a second life on some streaming service in the future. Fuck modern audiences man. And fuck the faggots here who are rooting it to fail only to complain about disneyshit a few minutes later.

People are talking about marketing or the lack of, but it's very evident that the cinemagoing culture is,for the most part, dead. Capeshit is obviously an exception.

>According to people that want to make a narrative of whites failing it will fail
Sure thing media.

Movie is good even just because of the showing of the vastly different mindset people had then. Its basically alien and shows that no modern person(even neo-pagan, both LARPers and sincere ones) can actually believe in Odin.

The majority of moviegoers are kids and their parents taking them, something fucking mental like 70%. Another large demographic is man-children (star wars and super hero fans).
The northman doesn't appeal to either of those audiences, so it relegates it from the 100m+ camp of superhero and kids movies, to the 10-50m camp of 'everything else'.
Look at the financial performance of cinema releases for the past five years, the pattern is very clear.

It's definitely deleted

Bad marketing and just not the sort of movie people want to see nowadays.
Historical epics were the capeshit of the early 00s and as a historyfag it was glorious, but M*rvel ate their lunch.

But Jews made this.

It's not out yet, it comes out on July for me

A literal Jew spy made this movie

Attached: 1651573358997.png (1006x1200, 592.77K)

It's easy to understand why it flopped to be honest. It was just an amazing movie with great performances and just that. No Marvel logo attached to it and not part of an ongoing franchise.
Also the marketing was retarded, trailers were horrible and made the movie look like an average action flick which in return gave it a bad word of mouth among your average capeshitters who thought that it was too 'sloooooow'.

>Movie I don't like needs double its budget to make any money back. Because of advertising budget, as well as theatres taking a cut, and taxes
>No, a movie I like doesn't have to make back double its budget to make money. In fact, it doesn't even need to make back its production budget to make money. The media is lying to you

this is too complicated for /pol/tards to understand

>some jew has shares in the movie industrie
Oh no, it's literally white genocide

first time hearing of this