ITT: Soulful sequels

Attached: url(79).jpg (540x810, 120.8K)

Arguably more soul than the original.

it's more heartfelt than 1, but i prefer the Woody-Buzz rivalry and edgier humor from 1

>doesn't have the innovation from 1 or the sense of finality/darker elements from 3
2 is good, but it feels too in-between

Test

Gabby Gabby story was great and I'm tired of pretending it's not

Attached: url(80).jpg (1086x1609, 1.56M)

This.
It doesn't add enough on it's own to compete with the other two.

I mean it reveals Buzz and Woody backstories which is great

Toy Story 4 is a great movie. The problem is that it’s existence cheapens the third one.

4 was fine until the ending. Goes completely against Woody's character. And 3's ending was so emotionally and thematically satisfying that it felt unnecessary.

Even the tie-in game had soul.

Attached: CFA7E49F-CB4F-498B-96D3-86842523ABBB.png (537x640, 537.39K)

unpopular opinion : Finding Nemo was Pixar's first great non Toy Story film. Bug's Life has bland characters and pales compared to Antz, while Monsters Inc has a weak story

Attached: url(39).jpg (1200x1200, 258.58K)

Toy Story 4 is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I wish that it did not exist

Attached: 29d3fb23f4b96b998c5244043a1b15b2e13910e79687a2b56f818783a00f0a21._RI_V_TTW_.jpg (1920x2560, 1.24M)

bugs life was comfy and your opinion is stupid

Incorrect because Monster's Inc is better than Toy Story and Nemo

Finding Nemo was definitely the best made up to that point, and is inarguably top 3 still. Monsters Inc is pretty solid. Good world, funny flip on the scary monster archetype. I would consider Toy Story 1&2 as a whole to be great, and Monsters Inc is at least very good
Haven't seen the most recent 3 Pixar movies. Might get around to them but not really looking forward to it. Shame. I remember watching The Good Dinosaur (I didn't watch Cars 2 (or 3 for that matter)) and thinking wow do they just not give a shit anymore? Almost half of their films since then have been sequels of some kind. Toy Story 5 will be here any minute now I'm sure

Bugs life is comfy but not GREAT
Pretty much objectively incorrect

Unpopular opinion: Monsters Inc is Pixar’s best, Finding Nemo relies too hard on sentimental manipulation over being entertaining

>Unpopular
Incorrect you meant

certainly a better sequel than Shrek 2
Fuck Shrek 2

Bugs life doesn’t even feel like a Pixar film, like Brave or Dinosaur. The story was driven by the crowd technology they had developed, rather than developing new technologies to fit the story as they did with fur rendering in Monsters or skin lighting in Incredibles

4 is a good movie but doesnt add anything thematically to the series. Every movie from here on out cheapens its predecesors. The longer a series goes past when the initial story concludes only weakens the integrity of original IP. Sad. Many such chases.

Antz simply has a better story and wittier dialogue. Soundtrack gives more goosebumps too

agreed about everything except the bug's life trash-talking
just be careful next time

actually factually wrong

is it as gay as 2 and 3?

What's wrong with Shrek 2?

This was so bad

pretty much everything outside a few lines

Shrek 2 is objectively better than 1 in every single remotely conceivable way.

I can't believe how many fucking people are increasingly saying antz is better than bugs life. Did you all like antz as a kid or are you just rewatching it as adults and liking it more in retrospect.

I fucking hated antz as a kid and wasn't sure if it just had a higher target audience.

That means that you were born defective.

Am I the only one who got zero emotional payout from toy story 3's ending because I couldn't stop cringing at a college aged adult male going "OH NO BUZZ LOOK OUT PEEWWWWWW PEW PEWWWWWWWW"

I never had any attachment to toys growing up so maybe that's it.

>never had any attachment
Found the zoomer.

Eh, born in 89. I'm kind of an autist with zero imagination, and cared way more about video games than toys. Even as a kid I saw toys as a source of clutter and environmental waste.

Zoomers watched Toy Story growing up retard

Toy Story is literally unwatchable (because they look like shit)

1 gets bland after the first act

bullshit. 2 was a kitschy and pop culture obsessed sequel with none of the heart and quirky charm of 1. Shrek, Fiona and Donkey's personalities are worse too

t. Disney Numale

Antz is a Woody Allen comedy/social satire rendered in CG. Kids can watch it, but they ain't the target audience

This was a great game

it's also the prototype of Shrek, since it was the same people at the same building. Antz was their first movie and Shrek was the second

Name one thing it did wrong

Attached: max.gif (455x262, 3.43M)

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

Attached: push.png (540x296, 130.1K)

Attached: pred2.png (1017x568, 618.95K)

Based

Shrek was a fuck you to Disney and animated children’s films in general. Shrek 2 fell into the tropes it had criticized in the past while also setting groundwork for other “not Disney” animated films to copy.

>fell into the tropes it had criticized in the past
post some examples

>Bug's Life has bland characters and pales compared to Antz
The rest of your post is spot on but this is objectively wrong

Shrek 2 has a bad romcom story. Every conflict happens due to characters being assholes or idiots, being easy to manipulate or blackmail, being led by false assumptions, and also due to miscommunication. Villains' plan don't make much sense and their end objective isn't really clear

Puss in Boots being a dibby character.
Pop culture references (Far Far Away being a Hollywood parody can be thrown in there too)
Generic plot that doesn’t do anything to change up the formula.
Twist villain reveal bullshit.
It just doesn’t have the same spiteful edge that the original had. It had to be safer because now Shrek was really marketable and popular. The soul got sucked out of it.

>Twist villain reveal
what was it?

it's a shame how the branch behind Antz and Shrek ended up screwing up with Shrek 2 not long after. At least Shark Tale has the excuse of being made by a different branch

Flik is basically Woody (with his mannerisms) but slightly different

>Bay Area studio : Antz, Shrek, Shrek 4-D, Shrek 2, Madagascar
>L.A studio : Shark Tale
it's not like Pixar, where every film is made at the same building in Emeryville

The ending of Monsters Inc sucks. If Sulley was reunited with Boo anyway, what's the point of being sad at them separating? It's just sentimental manipulation. That's Pixar for you anyway.

This was one of the most pointless movies I’ve ever seen, how dare you call it soulful

better than the original, even

Attached: 1455787806-aliens-sigourney-weaver-carrie-henn.jpg (480x718, 60.31K)

>Toy Story, Bug's Life, Geri's Game, Toy Story 2
>Antz, Shrek, Shrek 4-D, Shrek 2
this says a lot. Pixar didn't start milking Toy Story inmediately after it came out. They moved to new projects before revisiting those characters. PDI/Dreamworks, on the other hand, chose to capitalize inmediately