Watchmen 2009

Just finished watching this movie. It was not a short three and a half hours, I'll say that much. Is it as good as the graphic novel source? Not too big on comics myself, is it worth a read? Either way, I enjoyed the movie well enough. Sound design and visuals were pretty great overall, lots of slow motion though. Dr. Manhattan felt like a walking plothole sometimes, though I've seen worse characters with ridiculous power. I also felt like the story left a few loose ends, like what happened to the gang that took out Hollis Mason? Anyhow, what does Yea Forums think of the movie? Am I autistic for thinking it's a 7/10?

Attached: Watchmen.jpg (311x162, 11.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iMpIyBpOC4c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is it as good as the graphic novel source?
The movie ending is much better.

I'll take you at your word on that matter. Why didn't Ozymandias just replicate Dr. Manhattan's power? He had the technology no?

Why do you care what happened to the gang? That's not a plothole you retard. They aren't vital to the plot, they are just embelemtic of the times they live in. It's like asking what happened to the guy who shot Bruce Waynes parents--it doesnt fucking matter.

Anyway you are obviously an idiot, but the movie is pretty good and the comic is better. Read that.

No he doesn't, he has the technology to set off detonations around the world that give off the same kind of radiation Manhattan does, but he doesnt know how to replicate the accident that gave him his powers.

>Why do you care what happened to the gang? That's not a plothole you retard.
Did I call it a plothole? I said I felt like it was a loose end, and didn't have a conclusion at all, especially since Dan was clearly pissed about it, and then just forgot.
>No he doesn't, he has the technology to set off detonations around the world that give off the same kind of radiation Manhattan does, but he doesn't know how to replicate the accident that gave him his powers.
Thank you for clarifying, I just saw the same apparatus and thought otherwise.

> there are actual umironic Snyder fans that think he created The Watchmen storyline and that he didn't just adapt it

The book is far better. If you liked the movie, you'll definitely love the book. The movie's good as a basic intro to the story, and in fact the only reason it's at all decent is cause of the strength of the source material
Fpwp
Changing the squid for Manhattan and expanding the attacks to multiple cities fundamentally misses the point of Ozy's plan

Does the movie cover it all? Or is there a bunch of new stuff that'll surprise me? Either way I'll check it out.
Kind of hard to believe, even I knew ages before I watched the movie that it was based on a graphic novel, I mean most capeflicks are.

>Changing the squid for Manhattan and expanding the attacks to multiple cities fundamentally misses the point of Ozy's plan

It really doesn't. The squid/manhattan swap was one of the best things the movie did better than the comic. Gigantic squids would have been so stupid looking.

>Changing the squid for Manhattan and expanding the attacks to multiple cities fundamentally misses the point of Ozy's plan
Brainlet

>is it worth a read
Good, but inevitably doesn't live up to the hype. Closer than Dark Knight Returns, though.

Why didn't they just hug at the end?

Midwit take.

The comic is way better. Snyder made a cool movie but didn't understand the themes of the story.

>brainet
No u, literally
The whole idea of a Squid appearing in NY is that it's an alien attack, something outside every politics in the world. The only thing that would make people have so much fear they would stop fighting. Manhattan is part of the politics. A Squid isn't. It's something that makes no sense at all and that's why it works.
>i-it's dumb!
That's the point, retard. It's something totally ridiculous and that's why it works, why people stop fighting each other. It's also Moore's criticism of comic book stories as whole, saying how they redirect the problems of the world into cheap stories about aliens and sci-fi garbage.

>The comic is way better.
Kek

I tend to agree The change also framed Manhattan, ostensibly driving him further from the people of Earth. Otherwise the book is better, but Snyder's adaptation is very faithful. The opening montage is good for compressing some exposition, but you don't really get all of what it means like you do in the book.

Nope
The whole point of Ozymandias' plan is to unite the world against a "threat" that's completely removed from the petty geopolitics of East vs West. Dr Manhattan is the USA's primary weapon/defense. In the world of Watchmen, he's the single most important part of their Cold War. He's a walking, talking, sentient A-bomb that is entirely at the command of the US government and single-handedly tips the balance of power. So if the plan was like the movie version, where Manhattan apparently nukes cities around the world, everyone would see it as America's fault for losing control of their pet god. No cooperation and peace would happen, because the Americans were dumb enough to play with fire and get everyone burnt.
Meanwhile, the squid is completely removed from the situation. It's meant to be ridiculous and (almost) completely out of left-field. That's the whole point. It's an unknown threat that decimates only New York in an instant, and reminds the world there's far bigger things than politics.
Outside of the narrative, the squid also serves as a parody of your classic comic book alien monsters like Starro. It's also the goriest part of the book, with half a dozen splash pages showing the extent of the destruction and chaos. Despite making everything else bloodier, Snyder in his infinite wisdom decided that in his film THIS would be the one thing he dials back. The result is that the film's version is completely bloodless and unimpactful.
TL;DR Snyder's a hack but I get why they had to change it cause there's no way you could set up the squid in an already massively long movie

Attached: RCO008.jpg (1680x2618, 1.66M)

>Snyder made a cool movie but didn't understand the themes of the story.
Always the same bullshit.

>Snyder in his infinite wisdom decided that in his film THIS would be the one thing he dials back.
It was the studio and screen writer decision. David Hayter.

Why every bitch boy cry about Zack Snyder as if movies was made in a vacuum?

>Why every bitch boy cry about Zack Snyder as if movies was made in a vacuum?
Good morning sir

Nobody cares about the comic.

No one thinks that

no it literally and unequivocally does.
>squid
literal alien force. Guarantee's mankind will rally around defending itself from another ALIEN attack. GUARANTEES. There is not a possibility that a nation will risk weakening itself against an alien threat to kick another nation while it's down. Any escalation of violence directly increases the risk of alien assault against themselves.
>Dr Manhattan
literally an AMERICAN turning against an American city. It is POSSIBLE, even LIKELY, that nations would see Dr Manhattan as a threat against mankind, but it is also POSSIBLE, albeit UNLIKELY, that they will just see it as Dr Manhattan turning against AMERICA only and not all of mankind as he is not ALIEN and had been perceived as a superhuman AMERICAN up until literally the minute "he" destroys manhattan.

Do you not see the major difference? Ozy's genius was in that his plan was foolproof and could not go wrong. It is what makes it the only possible moral choice. If Dr Manhattan is the threat, and not the Squid, then it is not a 100% foolproof guarantee he will get the outcome he wants. If Russians saw an American Superman destroy Manhattan at the height of the Cold War, that might have just strengthened Russia and given it room to more aggressively spread Communism. Perhaps unlikely, but it's possible. It takes a 100:0 gamble and turns it into an 80:20 gamble. This completely and utterly destroys the central point of the novel.

And I didn't even touch on the literal plot holes: like what did The Comedian even fucking see that made him be killed by Ozy? Just some electric generators? What the fuck. And why does Ozy have a genetically engineered pet if he isn't balls deep into genetic engineering?

>Guarantee's mankind will rally around defending itself from another ALIEN attack. GUARANTEES
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAGAGAGAGA WHAT A FUCKING RETARD!!!

unironically: "I know you are but what am I?"

I think it's more in the 8 out of 5 tier

but the squids were dead. That absolutely weakens the threat.

Isn't that the reason why humanity unites? So that if squids manage to come to Earth without dying humans will be ready to fight?

The squid dies on teleport, it doesn't come there dead. It's designed to die when it gets there and do some sort of physical/psychic explosion that drives everyone mad

Yeah, the squid thing makes no sense.

The ending doesn't make too much sense if you think about it in both the comic and the movie. But from a thematic perspective it works

Yea, but it doesn't have the weight of fighting Dr.Manhattan. Everyone knows he exists and he is out there. I think the film ending lends to a much better ambiguity that Moore was going for. The alien attack is so absurd and raises far too many more questions about life the universe and everything that it starts to step away from what the focus of the story is.

Holy shit Snyderfags are the absolute worst community.

The book is an intricately constructed masterpiece on both textual and visual levels, one of the most influential works of fiction in the last 50 years. It's an essential read. The movie is not essential at all

>Does the movie cover it all? Or is there a bunch of new stuff that'll surprise me?
As with every adaptation, the movie misses out on a whole lot of detail from the book. There's a lot of backstory and character stuff in the comic that didn't make it into the film, either cause they changed it or cause they just couldn't fit it in

Moore's idea relies on premise that USSR WON't just launch nuclear rockets into an already crippled US, post "alien" invasion and without Doc.
While Film's version is that "Doc"- OG Test God briefly came back AND could snap again at any time, so better not play with armaggeddon any time soon you little jews. And in Film's version attacks were carried around entire world, so USSR will shit, piss and cum in our pants too.
Also as noted it was Hayter's contribution, who's scrip Alan Moore actually loved.

Btw to all pro-Squid niggas, your lovable 4skin-less jewboy Lindelof got you youtube.com/watch?v=iMpIyBpOC4c

Attached: 1651091073838.jpg (1099x1084, 203.43K)

>intricately constructed masterpiece
or maybe it just was Alan moore jerking off over superheroes and le /pol/

Snyder can't tell an original story for shit lol. So happy he's basically become irrelevant at this point.

Watch your mouth.

Attached: 1616062125677.jpg (712x1261, 395.86K)

a mess in NY isn't a crippled US.

no it makes sense in the comic book but not the movie:

It is significant blow to US and massive boost to USSR morale.

Yeah, he hasn't released a hundred million dollar blockbuster in almost an entire year

In the movie he destroys Moscow, too, tbf.

well shit

>that might have just strengthened Russia
After blowing the fuck out of it and promising to blow the fuck out of it more if it pulled any shit

What if under the squid plan Russia decided that the global weakening of world powers left things open to a reshuffling? Take advantage of the ensuing chaos to make a play for world domination? It being an alien guarantees nothing. Hell, it's 80s Russia, they'd probably just blame it on America anyway.

>Take advantage of the ensuing chaos to make a play for world domination?
because this means directly weakening its rival powers, which are needed to fight aliens. The alien nature is the definition of a guarantee of world powers cooperating. If Russia took NYC's destruction by aliens as a window of opportunity to attack, then when the next alien attack came mankind would be weaker than it would have been if there weren't further wars or conquering on earth.

The problems I had with this movie:
>Sally Jupiter miscast, in the comics she's the grounded, relatable one, in the movie she's a ditz
>Snyder slow mo action scenes are cool but they contradict the theme of the movie being that these characters are not super badass superheroes in reality
>In the comic characters like Rorschach and The Comedian are shown to be disturbed but complex people who shouldn't be glorified at all

Basically, Snyder made Watchmen into a (good) action movie when Moore wrote it as a political thriller/mystery. For the most part the casting was great, though, so I'll give him that, at least.

so true, the midwit take is to blindly adapt the comic book and ignore the fact that youre adapting something for the silver screen

Even if Russia did decide to take advantage of the situation it's already set up with Mahattan's line "nothing ever ends" to Adrian after his plot unfolds. Yeah, of course it isn't over, people will still find a way to create conflict with each other in the long run.

>>In the comic characters like Rorschach and The Comedian are shown to be disturbed but complex people who shouldn't be glorified at all
this is true in the movie, too. The only characters whitewashed in the film are Nightowl and Silk Spectre. When they beat up the bad guys and fuck Snyder plays it straight which the Graphic Novel does not.

Man, if they did Rorschach wrong in the movie, I can't wait to see what Rorschach done right. His performance in the movie was great though.

That's the great contradiction with Snyder's Watchmen, he shows Rorschach and The Comedian doing questionable/evil things but he still makes them look so cool while they're doing it.

>The alien nature is the definition of a guarantee of world powers cooperating
Bullshit, it's not happening with climate change, it's not going to happen because of an alien who might never even attack again. If you think New York getting blown up by an alien mindsquid would make Soviet Russia say "blyat tovarisches, we must be allying with the great satan Yankees because of this vaguely defined threat of aliens" then you are a fucking retard.

The Comedian wasn't glorified at all in the movie, at least that's how I saw it. I'll give you Rorschach though. I still find him to be quite complex in the movie, but having a better harsh voice than Bale's Batman just isn't fair.

>'s not happening with climate change
because it's not an apocalyptic scenario you fucking retard. Cars are going electric and energy is going nuclear. The world is already saved.
God you people are so fucking dramatic.

>energy is going nuclear
no nigger we're denuclearing. Germany decomissioned most of its nuclear plants after Fukushima. Pay attention.

What happens when everyone inevitably finds out that Ozymandias, an American, was behind not only the squid but however many years of deceit came after? Ozy may have hired the best scientists in the world to create it but there are going to be other scientists who are going to look at it and say "hmmm, a lot of these genes seem familiar" and draw the necessary conclusions.

>Snyder slow mo action scenes are cool but they contradict the theme of the movie being that these characters are not super badass superheroes in reality
Warner Bros forced Zack Snyder to do his 300 slow mos and make the action cooler to attract more viewers. Snyder only recourse to show that the violence is meant to be bad was to turn the action 10x more bloodier and nastier.

>we're denuclearing
>Germany
the rest of the world is ramping up Nuclear. Germany is a specific case where the government officials in charge of dumping their reactors are on the payroll for Russian gas lmao. This is the only nation dealing with that problem.

>everyone inevitably finds out that Ozymandias, an American, was behind not only the squid
this won't happen. Because only 5 people knew and the 2 that disagreed were killed. The 5th person flew to space lol.

yea morale, not in any militaristic strategic way that it gives the USSR any tactical advantage.
>Moore's idea relies on premise that USSR WON't just launch nuclear rockets into an already crippled US, post "alien" invasion and without Doc.
This is one of the dumbest takes Ive ever read. Also, no one knows Doc left for good.