More credit for valor is given to Confederate Soldiers. They were supposed to have more élan and dash. Actually...

>More credit for valor is given to Confederate Soldiers. They were supposed to have more élan and dash. Actually, I know of no braver men in either army than the Union troops
atFredericksburg, which is a serious defeat. But to keep charging that wall at the foot of Marye's Heights after all the failures they been in, and they were all failures, is a singular instance of valor.
youtu.be/uZmxZThb084

Attached: GrantLee1.jpg (640x480, 72.35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5k9_hT4nzA&l
youtu.be/5OKdbc0DYpM
youtu.be/sfuLrny00t4
youtube.com/watch?v=EvBAsy1mquw&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My dad gave me his copy of Lee's Lieutenants and it's really good.

Attached: 1620401575318.jpg (791x636, 75.14K)

Why do the good guys always lose

>was functionally taught the straight Lost Cause viewpoint of the war growing up
>told repeatedly now that LC is an ahistorical fiction invented to help reconcile the north and south after the war and should be looked at critically
>start researching the war more closely, along with viewpoints before it began to understand what was really at play
>increasingly certain the Confederacy was entirely within their legal right to secede and that the South was deliberately mismanaged for decades out of pure greed

I really wanted to believe that it was just a backwards region that was too stubborn to join the modern world and whose arrogance brought it low, it was a much more comforting story than what I keep reading.

Attached: famine.jpg (498x965, 136.47K)

how can one documentary series have so much soul

>it's a Garrison Keillor episode

Attached: garrison-keillor-new-york-usa-shutterstock-editorial-6551738a.jpg (1023x1500, 396.7K)

Stonewall Jackson was the best general in the civil war.

>>start researching the war more closely, along with viewpoints before it began to understand what was really at play
>>increasingly certain the Confederacy was entirely within their legal right to secede
these don't follow

plus they seceded over slavery. if you've researched the lead-up to the war you've read the state secession ordinances, i assume.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5k9_hT4nzA&l
Kino

Attached: Shelby Foote.jpg (1280x720, 71.96K)

Good ol' southern boys didn't du nothin' no sir didn't own no slaves no sir

I have, and at its root it was about slavery. It was still a legal action.

Stonewall Jackson was too based to live

Attached: Stonewall Jackson.jpg (2108x2560, 540.29K)

Legal until they triggered hostilities by seizing federal properties and initiating violence before the process was settled in court or Congress.

Not that it made them feel better but the Supreme Court did settle the matter that secession wasn't legal.

It's too bad he's always shown in his proper dress uniform, I'd like to see him how he appeared at Antietam which was just as bad as the troops he led.

When good guys win they move on and the conflict is forgotten. When the bad guys win they rub it in their face for the rest of history and bring it up non-stop.
There are plenty of times where the good guys won and we just moved on. Most people have probably never heard of those wars.

Robert. E. Lee was a mastermind. Why is this so hard for the Jews? Niggers already knew this.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored
He have loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on

Attached: 73293413_p0_master1200.jpg (744x1200, 527.64K)

Gib Hitler Robert E. Lee

Lee would resign.

That was my impression until I read about the non-trial of Jefferson Davis and they basically admitted they had no case on which to convict or even try him.

I don't want to look at the war as a matter of good guys and bad guys, which is frustrating because of how readily people accept that it was as simple as north=good south=bad. I was talking to an otherwise engaged history enthusiast who was bewildered when I said I had serious doubts about what Lincoln really intended with the Emancipation Proclamation.

It was legally ambiguous. The North asserted their dominance and it was concluded that what happened was indeed illegal, and the ambiguity was firmly removed with the 14th amendment.

Davis wasn't even the driving force of the secession, you just ignored what I said.

They had a case, but President Johnson gave Confederates a general pardon in an effort to build towards reconciliation.

The South seceded over slavery, but the North didn't declare war on the South to end slavery.

american civil war was so gay. all the batles were retarded and both sides were equaly bad. idk what is cringier. if proud yankee or proud dixie

Yes, and... ?

Lincoln was a tyrant who put politicians and judges in jail if they disagreed with them.

Slavery in the south was exacerbated by the fact that the north didn't allow advanced industry to be imported into the south.

Why wouldn't people want to secede if the north was planning on banning their only means to make a living? Imagine how those fags in California would behave if the government banned the tech industry in silicone valley, and films in Hollywood.

All are Americans

Attached: 33dce841d1b180cb5b5e987293858f06.jpg (826x1300, 371.47K)

i dont see that as a problem. there are many nice things about america but civil war discourse isnt one of them

How do I get élan and dash, anons?

they didnt have to, succession is a declaration of war

The Emancipation Proclamation was literally only signed after it was determined that there was no peaceful reunification possible and after other countries like France and Britain were possibly going to side with the south to fight off the trade blockade the North had on them. Historians don’t even dispute this. It was a tactical decision to keep the world out of the war by turning it from a tyrannical empire trying to keep power to a benevolent empire trying to free slaves

slavery was actually not very profitable, southerners were literally retarded lol

>rednecks charge wave after wave into death
>OMG BASED

>commies charge wave after wave into death
>LOL STUPID COMMIES

Not true sadly, it was very profitable

Attached: e063bc55183739b908e807dada4d72e0.jpg (721x1200, 386.94K)

For wat cause?

Russia had no stake in the flake. COME & TAKE RUSSIA

Reminder that the New England Federalist secession movements in the early 1800s were very close to fruition because they believed the Louisiana Purchase would allow too many swarthies into the country and dilute their ethnic purity.

Attached: 1649975264577.gif (740x700, 2.94M)

Aside from Pickett’s Charge, the wave after wave tactic is way more a Union thing. Cold Harbor is a great example of this. Aside from Gettysburg, pretty much every northern victory they took higher casualties than the south.

>Slavery in the south was exacerbated by the fact that the north didn't allow advanced industry to be imported into the south.
none of that is true

>free labour isn’t profitable

Okay retard

Russia is so fucked. I don't want it.

VAST AREA I GOTTA TRECK

Nah the confederates fought very tactically well. It was a war of attrition and they lost.

Several members of the cabinet only approved of the concept after Lincoln carefully worded it to allow for southern states to abandon secession by the end of 1862 and bid for compensated abolition, which he had already offered to the border states for a year.

>But the soldiers were better
The ultimate buyers remorse for a defeated side.

Blame it on the northerners not just hanging every southern officer and giving all their land to freed slaves.

So the war wasn't about slavery until Lincoln signed the EP.
No it's not. That's like saying it's ok to kill your wife if she tries to divorce you.

It's not profitable only compared to the current system of high taxes being taken from you at gunpoint.
The slaves were given land that they would own and they would have to pay a tax from all the goods they produce. It was basically feudalism where blacks are the peasants who have to pay their slave owner king the taxes. But these slaves had to pay a lower tax than (You) have to pay today.

We are being financially raped harder than literal slaves but we're all ok with it because we're given such amazing freedoms as being allowed to chop off your dick or masturbate in public during a pride parade.
If the slave owners were smart what they would have done is raised the slave taxes to 90% and if any black slave was upset just give them a free sex change. They would have been happy and defended slavery.

Yes. They declared war over the way more simplistic reason of the south being traitors. If anything, slavery saved them from the way more justified punishment of every single confederate leader being executed that would have awaited them if it was just a war of traitors vs non traitors.

>So the war wasn't about slavery until Lincoln signed the EP.
That's a braindead way of looking at it. How can you acknowledge one side seceded over slavery and then pretend it wasn't a cause?

You guys should watch the latest mssp secret podcast with Louis ck about us presidents

The fuck do faggots who don’t even like America seethe so hard that the Southerners were “traitors”? What do you care?

When you're responsible for the slaves entire life, from birth to burial (for as long as you keep them, anyway), it really cuts into the profit margins, especially when you consider how much less motivated your average field hand would be compared to a wagie who has to provide for his family out of his own pocket. Slavery was only really viable at a certain scale.

Attached: 1649161862870.jpg (1080x837, 85.9K)

I don't care, I just think they should have all be murdered. Showing the south mercy was a mistake, a complete destruction of the entire ruling class was needed to fix the place.

Is it because you view southerners as an outlet for American whites nowadays?

As the other user said, the war was about slavery for the south. The war was not about slavery for the north until after it was determined that no peaceful reunification was possible. Then it became about slavery for the north for PR and to keep the rest of the world from aiding the south.

>t. never had to consider his own relationship to his homeland before in his life

Attached: 1631122993369.jpg (1079x644, 83.29K)

Because the North could have let the South go without declaring war.
So wanting self-determination merits a death sentence? lmao At least say what you mean.

It is because he doesn't have Christian values, that even men during the worst of times had deep down in America during that war, even if it didn't always show

>a complete destruction of the entire ruling class was needed to fix the place.
Cool it with the antisemitism

It’s telling that the “murder southerners after they surrender” thing is a modern leftist conception, and the Union generals and soldiers who actually served promoted reconciliation. Only fags like Charles Sumner believed that other shit back then.

No. It's because they are a worthless slave aristocracy that deserved to die and their destruction would have been to the long term benefit of the world.

If you did and you came to the conclusion that you should die for southern aristocrats, you desire to die. It's why I feel zero sympathy for southern men and women that died. If anything, time has shown that more should have died.

The Union had more bodies to throw at the CSA. Grant didn't value the lives of his soldiers, unlike Lee. Grant basically invented the zerg rush for the post Napoleonic era.
>I can absorb massive losses, they can't. >they have limited ammo, my boys can soak that up

the Union was far more brutal and barbarous but they won, they write the history.

Confederates had the most soulful music

youtu.be/5OKdbc0DYpM

Attached: Ay8AzD5C_400x400.jpg (361x361, 34.34K)

This attitude is exactly why southerners fought reconstruction so hard in the 1870s.

>So wanting self-determination merits a death sentence?
No, but being southern aristocrats does.

People like you are evidence that more work needed to be done. Your rotting corpse can fortunately still serve as a warning to the rest. Your face pointed southwards as we hang you so you can watch your world burn.

Top level bozo and I SHIT on the wall of the Foote Suite at the historic Peabody Hotel in Memphis, TN

No one wanted to fight in the civil war. It was an awful conflict and there were several instances where soldiers on opposite sides helped each other out literally in the middle of the battle. When it finally ended everyone was just relieved that the violence was ending. There was very little hate. The hate only came later from revisionists born years after the conflict took place

I don’t think it’s fair to say Grant didn’t care. He was pretty haunted by whenever an attack failed (like Cold Harbor). But he did do a few things that were essentially a bit reckless. He was a good strategist though, and knew how to outmaneuver R.E Lee towards the end.

That's a good point. Northerners realized they should stop dying for their homes, so they started releasing prisoners en masse into the army and started conscripting illiterate foreigners instead.

To the extent that most slaveholders were jews, though, I agree with you.

Attached: 1637010201090.jpg (713x684, 97.19K)

The South were based anti-capitalists.

>Grant didn't value the lives of his soldiers, unlike Lee.
Neither valued their soldiers as anything more than bodies. Anything else is blind idealism of the type that means I think nothing of your death.

Yes. The problem is that the northerners didn't do the correct thing of massacring every effort to fight reconstruction long enough for them to either behave or be wiped out entirely as a identity. Violence was the only solution, and it should have been applied vigorously.

That’s pussy music. The North had this
youtu.be/sfuLrny00t4

The north was literally the apocalyptic wrath of the lord judging infidels

Most slaveholders were wasps and they should have been utterly massacred. Their corpses lining the streets of every major southern city.

Mostly true, there was often hate while the bullets were flying, but it’s telling that both sides would meet up for battle re-enactments, and veterans organizations for both sides would do things together.

Look, I'll be an apologist for the Germans until I die, but I'm not going to dispute the valor of young Soviet men fighting & dying for their countries.

>duuude let's just rewrite a catholic hymn that'll show em!!

>Grant didn't value the lives of his soldiers

The more accurate comparison would be with McClellan, who was so precious with his troops that he ended up wasting them and getting them killed with his indecision, ultimately lengthening the war and getting more killed than if he had done his job. There's a Stonewall Jackson quote I remember and I'm trying to find it, where he basically said "respect and help your men, but at the end of the day remember that they volunteered to be fodder for the guns and don't be afraid to ask that of them when the time comes".

Most northerners were fucking wasps you idiot. Hell, the south had the more diverse aristocracy with Anglos, Jews, French, Spanish while the north was just Anglo with a bit of Dutch

youtube.com/watch?v=EvBAsy1mquw&t

Shelby Foote is comfychadkino

Alongside the million dead slaves who starved to death between 1865 and 1866 due to Federal incompetence, surely.

Attached: 1648779949740.jpg (1024x702, 77.19K)

Slavery was the straw that broke the camel's back. they were threatening to secede over tariffs during the Jackson administration. however Jackson told Calhoun he'd march South at the head of an army and hang him. people took Jackson's threats seriously.

Jackson in a letter to Van Buren, I think, told him the South will eventually secede and it will be slavery. southerners hated and still hate centralized authority, Yanks love it

You idiots lost. Get over it.

Weirdly enough I just learned this like two days ago. Didn’t get taught in school

Can someone explain to me why northcucks are still so butthurt about a war they won 157 years ago? We don't even think about y'all down here.

Attached: 1617892698040.jpg (232x233, 12.66K)

We aren’t the ones screaming that southerners should have been massacred en masse (when you really mean modern white people). We’re just having a comfy civil war chat.
t. Mass Yankee

They’re projecting hatred of modern White Americans onto you. S’why it’s always commies and libs and shit saying this shit and lionizing Sherman (who would have absolutely despised them)

As a Virginian I think about them quite a lot, because they keep coming here.

Attached: 1628005387426.jpg (479x417, 24.9K)

It did.

As a Yankee I’m sorry our carpetbaggers keep moving to your states. I wouldn’t want the north being like the south and I wouldn’t want the south being like the north, we’re unique in our own ways.