Pitch a Lovecraftian movie without tentacles/body horror

Is it even possible?

Attached: Lovecrafty.jpg (998x1290, 450.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lovecraftzine.com/2013/08/20/read-guillermo-del-toros-at-the-mountains-of-madness-screenplay/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lovecraft_Investigations
twitter.com/AnonBabble

something something niggerman

>Is it even possible?
Absolutely, the Lovecraftian aesthetic has been channeled into non-Lovecraftian stories on numerous occasions, in such films/works as:
>The Ninth Gate
>Rosemary's Baby
>Event Horizon
>Cruising
>S1 of True Detective

Attached: 31355b06a7af08684a2794877e3b7297.jpg (2742x5000, 2.87M)

someone reads a short story where half the words are replaced with emojis

Lovecrft is unadaptable. You just have to read it.

There's a long running lovecraft inspired series called "I Am Jazz"
It's on TLC you should check it out

Most of his writing has none of that. I wish reddit would stop spreading retarded lies about him.

cool pic, source?

Rats in the Walls

I'm going to watch lovecraft country on the weekend
Did you watch it anons, is it ok?

He specifically said no tentacles/body horror.

Dead and Buried
Brain dead
Both are lovecraftian movies without any tentacles. Atmosphere + paranoia is something most Lovecraft movies are missing

Any lovecraft story but at the end you dont see the monster just the actors reaction to it.

You could make a detective story set in the 20's-30's, with a lot of build up and suspense, and near the end show a Deep One or a couple of Mi-Go.

Attached: R0N8fG8h.jpg (1000x773, 176.43K)

Only Japan can do modern Lovecraft adaptations (compere Lovecrafts country to Bloodborne or Tanabes work). Americans would just fill it with niggers and muh racism.
>lovecraftzine.com/2013/08/20/read-guillermo-del-toros-at-the-mountains-of-madness-screenplay/
read Del Toro ATMOM script and weep

Attached: f2ca81c60825e3b4f70a9949e2dd145b.jpg (2048x1456, 582.19K)

For me, it's Pickman's Model.

Whisperer in darkness for me.

Something like In the Mountains of Madness, but without watching the huge monster, only hearing it

>Noo you can't show X
Why?

You'd go insane, with no cute black cat to save you.

Because it's used as a cheap resource that undermines the whole concept of "cosmic horrors so impossibly incomprehensible that make you go crazy if you confront them". Not showing them forces the audience to use their imagination, only given some clues about the creature. E.g. how were Bird Box's monsters supposed to be

Because the audience are retards like , who have become so blase about godlike horrors that they don't feel anything when they see them on screen, so they don't accomplish their purpose.

Just adapt Call of Cthulhu video game.

I thought color out of space did a good job, although the climax was all body horror. Plus they made lovecraft black in it.

The Ninefold Portal

South Park did a pretty good job.

Attached: SHUB_NIGGURATH.png (1158x657, 760.6K)

I feel like Mothman Prophecies had a cosmic horror vibe where the otherness of these entities is so profound that merely "speaking" to Indred Cold on the phone is already absolutely horrifying and physically being in his presence unimaginable.

There was also this aspect of knowledge being detrimental to your own (mental) wellbeing which is pretty lovecraftian. Especially when it was explained to the protagonist that these entities usually don't take notice of humans but since he has become aware of them they are now noticing him aswell. That's pretty spoopy.

Not showing a creature at all won't do the job either I feel. That just feels cheap and cliché in its own right. The best way would be to have the audience catch small glimpses here and there to get your imagination going but never anything conclusive.

people who never read any Lovecraft seem to think he never shows the monsters, even though he dedicates pages to explaining every facet of their appearance

True Detective got Lovecraftian storytelling right anyway, the core of his writing isn't really the spoopi tentacle monsters from space, it's a subversion of mystery storytelling (finding clues, following leads, etc, to find closure) where figuring out the mystery is actually a BAD thing
Much like the protagonists in Lovecraft's stories, Rust and Marty had plenty of opportunities to stop, almost as if the universe was telling them not to dig any deeper. But in the end their perseverance only led them to uncover a horrifying truth that they have no power to prevent and they have to live with for the rest of their lives.

Well explained. Lovecraft is some sort of Anti-Jules-Verne in a sense.

It's been done, user. On HBO back in the 90s. There was a crap sequel I would bother with, but this is a decent movie.

Attached: NoCuteKitties.png (401x594, 517.25K)

When you realize cosmic horror is just literally fancy dressing for niggers, Lovecraft books start to feel like /pol/ shitposts.

Attached: Niggerman.webm (720x720, 2.6M)

The Uzumaki manga

Attached: Uzumaki.jpg (789x1185, 536.24K)

literally just adapt shadow over innsmouth. its his best story anyhow

I laughed really fucking hard out loud when I read what shadow over innsmouth was actually about, its amazing

His best ones are where he doesn't describe the monsters though. The Music of Erich Zann or The Colour from Out of Space. At the Mountains of Madness is one of his weaker stories because he spends too long on sci-fi-ish description.

Call of Cthulu, Shadow over Innsmouth, Mountains of Madness would all work well as feature films.

>body horror and tentacles
have you even read lovecraft, user?

>Call of Cthulu
South Park
>Shadow over Innsmouth
Dagon
>Mountains of Madness
Prometheus

Watch Darling (2015)

del Toro cancelled his Mtns of Madness movie because of Prometheus so Promotheus can go fuck itself

There are a few films that have more or less succeeded in pulling it off. In the Mouth of Madness deals with those sorts of themes to some degree and it's a pretty good movie. His work is certainly not unadaptable like people seem to think.
Del Toro is a hack and would have ruined it. I'm glad he'll never have a chance to fuck it up.

Attached: lovecrafteggs.jpg (458x772, 78.52K)

>wot if the author was inside his own book?
>mental innit!
Mouth of Madness was so far below HPL it's unreal. Steven King is a retard who writes for retards. It's amazing how a little window dressing and a sound-alike title can convince some idiots to call Mouth of Madness a "Lovercraftian" movie.

You are such a psued. It's got tentacles, it's got a paranoid tone, it's got about a dozen references to lovecraft. It's perfectly lovecraftian. Lovecraft didnt write anything better than that movie, he's lucky carpenter brought his stories closer to mainstream attention.

Stephen King? He had nothing to do with the film. He's referenced in it once but nothing more. You're also oversimplifying the story. I agree it does not reach Lovecraft's thematic potency, but it's a pretty good movie and more or less deals with some themes prevalent in Lovecraft's corpus. Wouldn't say it's one of Carpenter's best films, though.

> It's got tentacles, it's got a paranoid tone, it's got about a dozen references to lovecraft. It's perfectly lovecraftian
Jesus Christ you're retarded.

>Steven King
?

>Cruising
The only thing that was channeled in there is a fist in the ass of Al Pacino

Sure. About a third of Lovecraft's stuff is just Dude, Like, Ancient Horrors And Stuff.

King peaked in the 70's but he's written some decently lovecraftian stuff. (and one really awful tryhard one) Not a movie but Chapelwait is based on Jerusalem's lot which was pretty solid. Haven't seen the series though so no idea how well it handles the material.

That film with James Wood

It's meh. I didn't even feel the desire to finish the first season. I think you have to be an American or at least very invested in African American history to fully appreciate it. Compared to for example the boondocks or the wire which are both negrocentric but good even if you don't know about their history.

based, why is it that the Japanese have such a deep cultural understanding of cosmic horror
also Junji Ito is another titan of jap cosmic horror

Attached: 7a375181e82c302b0e0d7b37cc249c4c.jpg (564x1033, 108.72K)

Add to that The Beyond, City of the Living Dead and Messiah of Evil

>and one really awful tryhard one
Hm?

Of course it is.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lovecraft_Investigations

The Japs fill everything will tentacles though.

Myskotonic University’s Spring Break, featuring Skeet Ulrich and Miley Cyrus.

a virulent antisemitic man who thinks sex is the same as defecating marries a cute jewess with big milkers and an insatiable appetete for intercourse. they move to a big city that is absolutely crawling with swarthy foreigners and negroids and this, in addition to what she refers to her girlfriends as his "sluggish sexuality" only contributes to the crumbling of the relationship. they get a divorce and the man dies alone of intestinal cancer. his last moments are filled with unimaginable pain because he left his rich jewish wife and the big city to be a poor writer of florid weird fiction and now finds himself unable to pay for even the morphine that would make his passing bearable.

Nah she said he was perfectly OK in bed. He apparently asked for advice some of his more lecherous friends.

Blair witch
Wicker man

dont do it

Crouch End. It reads like one of those derleth things put together from stuff from HPL's notebooks.

The Truman Show, until and arguably even including the upbeat ending

hahah yeah it was way too on the nose

I liked Pet Cematary though, how the forces behind the twister resurrection are never really explained and how the protag hears things but things are never described.