“It is not the job of artists to give the audience what the audience want. If the audience knew what they needed...

>“It is not the job of artists to give the audience what the audience want. If the audience knew what they needed, then they wouldn’t be the audience. They would be the artist. It is the job of artists to give the audience what they need.”
Art thats unloved by the masses is mere masturbation made for the artist.

Moore is full of shit. And he knows it.

Imagine ordering at a restaurant and afterwards the chef just decides to make you "what you need" and it's an unpalatable dish you despise. Who would go to this restaurant? The chef would soon be out of a job.
If you can't get your message through while giving the audience the entertainment they crave, you aren't fit to call yourself an artist/writer.

Attached: Alan-Moore-credit-Mitch-Jenkins.jpg (680x680, 665.38K)

sneed + L + ratio then sadly

Who cares about this anglocuck plagiarist? Anglogermcucks are esoterically illiterate and always will be until they learn to accept their Asian heritage and stop pretending to be something they’re not (ie Europeans).

>Who would go to this restaurant?
A lot of people.

And Moore is right. There's definitely a balance to be had between the artists vision and the audience, but if you acquiesce entirely to what the audience say they want you are no longer an artist, and will produce absolutely nothing of worth.

and this is why you will never make anything of value, or anything at all. You will leave nothing to remember

Attached: 1540399711281.jpg (420x407, 60.04K)

Moore is a talentless hack and only dumb edgy leftists like him

if you let the audience dictate your craft you are not an artist but an entertainer

Trying to please fans is what got us Josstice League and "Somehow, Palpatine has returned." Maybe you like them better than the movies that came before but they're still fucking shit no one wants to watch. Moore is right

I mean, if you're making art for yourself and friends, it's no problem to not give a fuck and just entertain yourself and your buddies. But when that shit's commercial and your next meal, rent, etcetera rely on your art, you kinda have no choice but to acquiesce to audience demand. Actually, you're usually just listening to the demands of your editor, studio execs or whatever. You know, the people who think they know what the audience wants.

you're not ordering anything from Moore, you're getting something that was already produced. If it was already produced, you can check if it's something you want to spend your time and money on before you get it. Your food analogy is retarded and so are you.

if you want to make art that will last long after you're dead, then you're never going to be popular with the masses. A surefire way to tell if something is going to last is to look at how popular it is when it first comes out; ninety percent of the time, if something is widely popular immediately upon release, it will be quickly forgotten and almost completely culturally irrelevant in 50–100 years.

>Artists should listen to the execs

Lmao.

Attached: jbareham_200804_ply1034_0033_potc_johnny.jpg (1400x1400, 253.67K)

He's half right, if you're working with an already established serialized set of characters there are certain expectations you have to adhere to, but if you're working with your own creations or a story with a finite end you are under no obligation to have it play out a certain way.

I mean, it depends on your level of power. If you're Stephen King or Nolan, you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you're not, you either do what they say or they will find someone who will.

Great art is more akin to medicine than food. What netflix and current Hollywood offer is poison or at the very least garbage.

Pretty much this. Everyone's an artist until they remember they have to pay bills and buy groceries.

You know you get fired if you don't listen to the execs, right? Fucking dipshit.

How many times are you going to make this exact same thread?

Attached: 1651184464975.jpg (1125x1302, 100.06K)

That is such bullshit it's not even funny. You're actually retarded.

But Moore didn't go out of business. He was wildly successful.

Execs wanted Johnny to play Sparrow like O'Connell from The Mummy movies, or just like a generic swashbuckler, but he said no. He was adamant on his cartoonist drunk interpretation, and the execs hated it and even accused him of trying to sabotage the film.

They eventually gave in after he demanded they do it his way, and the rest is history.

The moral is; don't listen to execs or meddlers. They don't know shit about fuck.

Nigger they've been trying to solve the questions of "what makes good art/bad art" and "what makes art timeless" for at least 120 years in literary circles

>if you want to make art that will last long after you're dead, then you're never going to be popular with the masses. A surefire way to tell if something is going to last is to look at how popular it is when it first comes out; ninety percent of the time, if something is widely popular immediately upon release, it will be quickly forgotten and almost completely culturally irrelevant in 50–100 years.

Shakespeare is arguably the most influential writer of all time and was very popular even during his lifetime, even among common folk. Dumbass post.

>the chef just decides to make you "what you need"
That's how most of the top restaurants work.

Seethe faggot.

Are you actually a fucking ape? Johnny Depp was a big star even before Pirates. He had the pull to do that kind of shit. You think any other actor or a low level screenwriter can get away with that shit?

>art / food analogy
I despise Americans

leave it to moore to belabor a facile slogan into 5x the number of words it needed to be

That is the dumbest analogy I have ever heard

I'm not a chef, I don't know what kind of food I want someone to invent. Once a chef invents a food I enjoy (or an artist makes a movie I liked) then I can say, yeah, I want to rewatch that movie, or I want to re-eat that food

He is absolutely right

Let me guess, you browse reddit and only found out now about Yea Forums right?

Having the pull to do it doesn't detract from the fact that execs don't know shit.

Are you too retarded to understand?

literally who?

>Art thats unloved by the masses is mere masturbation made for the artist.
I would mostly agree with that, yes. Ivory tower academics and their ilk produce media that's unconsumable for the average masses. Who the fuck reads poetry anymore? Literature? Sure there are a few popular authors and what-not, but media made for small cliques of people is art with a restricted message.
To me, the ideal of art is something that can immediately and viscerally be enjoyed by the masses, while also containing occult/occluded symbols and meanings that will appeal to academics and those inclined to higher thinking.

>who would go to this restaurant
You fucking retard. There are plenty of high class restaurants where the whole idea is that they pick the meal for you.

don't share moore's MRI scans, doctor patient confidentiality is important

He just did fear and loathing with a pirate hat

Attached: 1472890477350.png (500x354, 61.97K)

Yes, there are always exceptions to the rule, and Shakespeare is literally the only one. The only other author that was immensely popular in their time and still retains relevance today is Dickens but in terms of influence he's nowhere near Shakespeare

Which is why everything is shit. For every good idea they have there are ten thousand bad ones.

Who the fuck said execs know shit? I literally said they THINK they know. I know execs are fucking stupid, you retard. That was never in dispute. Learn how to read.

The characters aren't the same at all except for being inebriated on one substance or another.

>You're not a real artist because I say so

Attached: 16454109654577026846346580505396.gif (250x250, 1.1M)

This. Nigga, every michelin star restaurant is like this. The chef decides the menu and you eat whatever he serves you, usually a course of 10 to 20 small dishes.

/his/ ban dtill active my turkish freind?

Kys you fucking piece of shit.

>Shakespeare is literally the only one.
Dante Alighieri says otherwise. His shit was so popular it literally helped form the bedrock of the standardized Italian language.

After you take some English comprehension classes. Let me know when you've completed the course.

>"Hurrrrr but I said this!"
>Didn't actually say anything of the sort

Lmao kys you stupid fucking piece of shit.

Alan Moore is cringe but Watchmen was based. Too bad they fucked it up with that retarded HBO show.

based moore, mental midgets keep seething

Point to the post where I said "Execs are smart people who know everything." You fucking retard. Where did ANYONE in this thread say that?

>Alan Moore is cringe but Watchmen was based

Attached: 846518411.jpg (1330x343, 224.03K)

Alan Moore, the man who hasn't written anything culturally relevant or popular since Watchmen says that artists shouldn't make things with the audience in mind.

Imagine my shock.

imagine missing the point this hard lmao. get a better brain retard

amazing how this shitty bait pasta remains on top of the catalogue, never change tv

Ahh seethe more you absolute fucking moron. Kys like I fucking told you to, stupid retard.

Moore is based and you're cringe

Why do right wingers think they're hard at all to understand?
What an embarrassing thing to not only post but take a screencap of.

Do you have an argument or can you only tell people to kill themselves? I'm guessing at this point you're just a foreigner who can't read English.

both are wrong, because there is not true way to make art, an actor need to show their audience real good acting and make them feel it, in the same way as paints and statues.

meanwhile in writing moore is right, fanservice is truly a shitty way to make a script, thats why fanfics are the truly lowest writing.

Point out any post you've made where you've attempted to even have a point. You can't because you haven't, and being told to kys is the only appropriate response to idiots like you.

Bye now, enjoy your re-roll.

An artist is also an audience member, he just creates what he wants. If he achieves that, since he himself is an audience member who shares his taste in common with others, there will likely be others that want the same thing and enjoy what he created as well.
"Need" doesn't apply. No one needs a graphic novel about a nigga in a mask.

Dante wrote specific books defending the Italian language, as Latin was the language of scholars of the time and was inaccessible to commoners; it wasn't simply because of his art. Also, when the Comedy was first published, it went almost completely ignored; it wasn't till after Dante's death that his two sons wrote commentaries about it, and it wasn't till 50 years after his death that it was actually studied

Ironically, the only reason Watchmen became popular is because "Superheroes BUT Edgy" caught on like wildfire in the 70s and 80s in comics. And most people who read Watchmen (like say, Zack Snyder) completely miss the point that Moore was trying to make. Superheroes with realistic problems wind up being pretty fucked up people who are far from idealistic. His whole point was that superhero comics should stop taking themselves so seriously.

Poor guy probably feels guilty for ruining comics.

lol, fuck actors

I guess Michaelangelo and De Vinci arent artists becouse they painted for patronage?

there is still painter, directors, designers and bla bla bla

Why are artists so fucking pretentious? At this point, i'm gonna wind up having more respect for Twitter furry artists than these assholes who are so far up their own asses they can't smell anything except their own shit

doing a couple personalized pieces for a patron is not the same as deliberately making easy-to-consume lowbrow shit to appeal to as many people as possible

That's the problem aiming movies for the widest demographics.

What exactly is Moore railing against here? Art as a product? Because if that's the case, his issue should be directly with capitalism, but he seems afraid to say that.

Because lefties very clearly don't understand them. They think they're just dumb or evil.

I get what he means and if you weren't so dumb, you'd understand too.
he just has a very specific definition of artist.

Lol what a dumb opinion. The most popular books from the last century where all massive successes like a farewell to arms and lord of the rings are classics and sold massively well. Same with movies and music, that line is just cope from psueds who make bad shit

i still dont know why moore is leftist, isnt he an anarchist faggot isnt anarchist like the other side of the coin when talking about fascism.

that was my point, concerning movies I care much more about directors and writers rather than some pretty faces emoting