Can someone please explain the appeal of this guy's movies? Like seriously, I am not trying to be a contrarian here...

Can someone please explain the appeal of this guy's movies? Like seriously, I am not trying to be a contrarian here, but I genuinely do no get why this guy seems to be getting such an absurd amount of praise. I feel like my brain must be broken or something from just how diametrically opposed I am to popular opinion regarding this guy.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen The Lighthouse, but I have seen The Witch and The Northman. Maybe The Lighthouse will totally change my mind about him if I ever do happen to see it, but I have very little desire to do so after sitting through his other two flicks.

The Northman was thoroughly mediocre with its only redeeming traits being some good cinematography and some good action scenes. Otherwise, the movie is a dull slog through a generic revenge plot set in a Viking setting for some reason (even though shows like The Last Kingdom and Vikings have done narratives in the same setting in a vastly superior manner) with a cast of thoroughly uninteresting and unlikable characters that I couldn't give less of a damn about living or dying. The entire movie is just a one note grim tone that doesn't ever let up and it made me feel totally numbed from just the perpetual lack of any highs to outweigh the lows.

Attached: northman.png (681x383, 436.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v-GbivZNwW4
archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/image/F_AWzc_61j7iujk9lQIZ5g/
gq.com/story/robert-eggers-the-northman-interview/amp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As for The Witch, I'd say I have largely the same criticisms about it as far as having unlikable characters and a narrative that also had no highs to outweigh the lows, however I'd add to it that the physical setting was thoroughly uninteresting (Viking era Iceland is at least cool unlike lame ass Puritan era America set on some freaking boring ass farm). What really made The Witch worse though is that it was SO boring and unscary. The Northman was pretty dull too, but at least some of the action scenes were passably entertaining to watch. The Witch on the otherhand was just one dull and uneventful scene after another and the finale literally made me laugh with how stupid it was. The goat butchering the dad was goofy as all hell and didn't disturb me in the slightest. And then the daughter just goes off to join the coven of witches I guess...whatever I don't care at all.

Northman feels like a very uneven movie to me, with lots of highs (like the opening, rus section and final duel) but middle section is a complete slog that most of which needed to end up on the cutting floor.
Fantastic cinematography and attention to historical detail dragged down by a script with way too much fat that shouldve been removed.

What the fuck were they thinking with the croquet scene anyway? What did that add apart from Mountains cameo? Thats something you would see in the 4 hour long extended version

Soundtrack is gigakino tho

youtube.com/watch?v=v-GbivZNwW4

Attached: anya-taylor-joy-the-northman-1649252710.jpg (480x479, 46.29K)

who are you talking to?

Yea Forums

You got filtered. Go watch capeshit

That's basically what Northman is, Batman, Superman, Northman. Magically stronger than everybody and gets the girl he barely knows just because, fights a villain, "epic" final battle, etc. There's probably a hint of a shared universe with The Witch if I bothered to look.

>Northman was thoroughly mediocre

There it is user, it's that simple - I'll take mediocre movie any day over the tsunami of shit that crushes me everyday.

There are tons of good movies streaming every day

It did have a good soundtrack

>shows like The Last Kingdom and Vikings have done narratives in the same setting in a vastly superior manner

Attached: 4bb6feecbdd95e20c9b176bd31318ce4.jpg (1080x1080, 130.03K)

His movies are consistently not shit, and he doesn't cast non-Whites. Good enough for me.

Stop thinking about race

>*farts*
>mmmmmmmm that's a smelly one

Attached: 1620663001102.png (1893x809, 251.03K)

>Like seriously

kys

lol why?

shalom

>typing like a teenage girl

Actually that's how people in general type, maybe trying having friends that will text you?

Why do people think it's so strange that a dad enjoyed a fart joke with his young son during a male bonding/passage into manhood ritual? It's actually very normal, just in a strange setting because it's an ancient culture.

>even though shows like The Last Kingdom and Vikings

tv series, ok user

user WHY DID YE SPILL YER BEANS

Attached: faggot.jpg (1280x960, 271.02K)

Yeah I kinda liked the Northman but the dialogue was cringe and way too much simplistic telling the audience mundane shit instead of showing it. Eggers is just not good at weaving narrative and is more inclined to wacky symbolism.

What did you guys think of the hurling scene?

Attached: xw5s66dgcg7z.png (553x506, 68.23K)

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/image/F_AWzc_61j7iujk9lQIZ5g/

Cause he’s ARTSY maaaann

name 5

Nah. You got exposed as the annoying faggot you are

no

>(even though shows like The Last Kingdom and Vikings have done narratives in the same setting in a vastly superior manner)

Attached: greenshirt nice try tranny.webm (1208x720, 318.25K)

it wasn't woke bullshit

>What the fuck were they thinking with the croquet scene anyway?
2 things. To gain the trust of his uncle and to show he cared about his half brother.

The Lighthouse was utter garbage.

Dont jews want people to constantly think about race?

I hate TV and movies

the croquet scene was fucking awesome wtf is wrong with this board

filtered

You first Shlomo

hey OP. the whole internet is infested with shills and bots. part of the way shilling works is, humans are hardwired to care about stuff other people seem to care about. so just a lot of chatter makes something interesting.

you can't assume positive word-of-mouth is genuine any more, you have to deduce whether a movie or TV show is actually worth your time indirectly. my method is to try to look for distinctive ideas, not obviously marketable ones.

Damn that’s a lot of shill threads to shit on. Based shill-destroyer.

it's full of plebs

Eggers movies appeal to a specific type of reddit pseud, typically in the 105-120 IQ category

filtered

>shows like The Last Kingdom and Vikings have done narratives in the same setting in a vastly superior manner
Kek, seen this vikings series praise in way too many of these low reviews of northman.
Can't possibly take the opinion of someone who enjoyed that show seriously.

Fuck off, retard.

It has only whites so they praise it even if it's dogshit. The funny part is they'll talk shit about superhero movies yet watch the same shit except instead of black panther you have white wolf, they're that stupid. It's just blind contrarianism from people with no ability for critical thinking and no taste.

Apparently a lot of people who saw the Northman did so because they thought it would be like that show.

Attached: genuinely interested in viking culture.jpg (502x1236, 171.45K)

Vikings got people to care about the characters. it's a pretty basic goal which Egger's couldn't pull off because it would have meant fewer indulgent dream sequences.

I really can't be assed to read everything you wrote but the appeal, basically, is that he genuinely attempts to capture the setting his movies take place in. The Witch, for instance, has several lines taken right from journals from people in the 1800s.
Kinda the same reason people like Mel Gibson's movies. Well, that and Mel being based.

a lot of film making now aims quite low
his aim a little higher

>Otherwise, the movie is a dull slog through a generic revenge plot set in a Viking setting for some reason (even though shows like The Last Kingdom and Vikings have done narratives in the same setting in a vastly superior manner) with a cast of thoroughly uninteresting and unlikable characters that I couldn't give less of a damn about living or dying. The entire movie is just a one note grim tone that doesn't ever let up and it made me feel totally numbed from just the perpetual lack of any highs to outweigh the lows.
user it is basically Hamlet, the original Norse saga it is based on.

>I confuse plot for story
>if something isn't adding to the plot I am confused

Utterly bizarre that they can come from the vikings series and say this is the one that's historically inaccurate

>What the fuck were they thinking with the croquet scene anyway
First they show Amleth as a beast-man with no remorse, no feelings, just anger. He decimates a village and feels nothing about it while his partners rape, kill and burn women and children.
Then, when he finds the witch he finds a way to a past he had long buried within himself.
In this path, he finds Olga, which is the first person we see Amleth helping. Olga helps him by telling him that he should hide his cunning. Amleth remembers the lesson of his father, and hears what she says. Still strangers, he helps her when she is in danger in the middle of the storm.
In the village, Amleth learns to play the fool, as his father teached him and as Olga counseled him. When they send him to play viking-criquet, he wants to win, but he doesn't feel the killing instinct, because he sees the game as pointless and not a real battle. When the kid appears, his killer nature appear. He has a motive, he wants to save the child, because he rediscovers that he has morals, that it is not fit for a man to be a child-killer, but for a dog. He kills the mountain in the most brutal way possible instead of hiving him a swift death like a man would deserve.

The scene is crucial for the development as it shows Amleth actually reconciling with his past and actually living by his father teachings, while also letting him gain the respect of his uncle and allowing him more freedom to further plot his revenge.

Attached: david prowse.jpg (1600x1178, 189.69K)

That's because it is a fucking poem and takes inspiration in Shakespeare work, which has a lot soliloquies. It is the style of the movie, which you may not like, but is not a drawback in any way. It's a desing choice and it is well executed.

The King, The Outlaw King, Da 5 Bloods, Beasts of No Nation

Because he actually tries to incorporate original imagery with new ways to tell a story. He tries to do a certain thing and focus on innovating aspects of filmmaking he is interested in.

He doesn't try to make a "perfect movie" for YMS Sperglords to pick apart searching for plotholes and "pacing errors". He has a bunch of cool ideas and goes with them.

All these ideas are of course not new or mind breakingly innovative. He just confidently presents them, and his movies gain an interesting aesthetic due to that. That's all there is to it.

I would argue with you about why you're not entertained by that, but as any faggot on this board you've of course been set on your opinion by your insane political obsessions even before watching the movie.

Attached: dhv8a8wpk8u41.jpg (640x535, 44.82K)

tfw based eggers confirmed 20 minutes of cut scenes for the home release
norfbros, be ready

Hopefully the good shit is on there. According to a couple of interviews, he had to cut "mostly historical" shit, because test audiences felt like they needed a masters degree in viking history to enjoy it.

No

Attached: 1508075175364.jpg (220x295, 25.34K)

Attached: faggot.jpg (640x877, 68.75K)

American hands wrote these reviews

Attached: 1538805426769.gif (179x320, 2.27M)

Kek this, op got filtered

only one i have seen him talk about is a scene about freya, so presumably fjoinir should be in it too

gq.com/story/robert-eggers-the-northman-interview/amp
Article is a transcript of an interview with him. Scroll down to the question about early test screenings
>I would say that some scenes were just cut, to focus more on Alex's story. I think that there were more aspects of Viking mythology in the earlier version.
And in the question just below it
>Where things were really new was in post-production and just the pressure that comes with not having final cut and making a movie that needs to be entertaining
Hopefully all bodes for some great director's cut