Is this film anti-Norwegian? Heard it was pro-Danish but I'm Norwegian so I don't know if I should support

Is this film anti-Norwegian? Heard it was pro-Danish but I'm Norwegian so I don't know if I should support.

Attached: images.jpg (1175x1763, 266.32K)

Aren't you guys basically the same thing? Like Wisconsin and Michigan or Bavaria and Austria?

Norwegians aren't even pro-Norwegian
Swedes are anti-Swede

The self-hatred that exists in Scandinavia is off the charts.

It’s pro-Icelandic

I thought Danish and Norwegian was the same thing. Are you telling me they are different nationalities?

Norwegians founded Iceland, so then it's pro-Norwegian.

Ingen brydde seg hvem jeg var før jeg tok på maska.

Yes

Never forget Anders.

Attached: Anders_Behring_Breivik_(cropped).jpg (529x657, 63.64K)

Norwegians are anti Norwegian. Look at you, you went from Vikings to weaklings

I don't care about any of that shit, I just want to know if the movie is good or not. I can't tell who's being being honest and who is just being a contrarian faggot or just saying negative things to spite any type of culturally white thing. I just want to know if the movie is good. I loved The VVitch, and I loved Lighthouse. If I loved those 2 movies, will I like The Northman?

And you went from cowboys to blobs

If you liked his first two movies, you will probably like The Northman. You’ll have to see for yourself.

do you think it's worth the ticket price? I don't have a lot of money and need to save every penny I earn, but I do like to go and see a good movie on the big screen whenever I can. I just want to know if it's worth going to watch in a theater. I saw VVitch in the theater, which I don't regret, but it was admittedly hard to follow the dialogue on a first time watch. after many rewatches through the years I've grown to love it and understand all the dialogue now. does Northman have any dialogue hurdles or is it pretty easy to comprehend on a first time watch?

Just saw it

Way whiter and more mythology than I thought it would be

It was everything that made the post-Ragnar seasons of Vikings shitty.

So bland and boring.

Idc, is it pro-Danish and anti-Norway?

It's worth seeing in theaters. It's very bloody, its very full of surreal imagery, its an interesting long gory revenge tale. The performances are very good and it feels fully grounded in the period of time its telling.

I think I'd be frustrated if I saw it at home not in theaters. It takes full advantage of the screen

>does Northman have any dialogue hurdles or is it pretty easy to comprehend on a first time watch?

It might be hard to catch certain names but its very comprehensible

Don't listen to this homo ()
It's a fun movie and fully worth seeing, especially so if you're an Eggers fan

It’s easy to follow except for the names id say, very visual leading movie

thanks for answering my questions and not being a humongous faggot about it. think I will be making a trip to the theater afterall

Attached: 1501042422840.jpg (369x387, 23.93K)

The Vikings are painted as slavers. The movie doesn't really differentiate between Danish or Norwegians and only ever really geographically marks people as Northmen or slaves. They also call Iceland a backwater hole

Glad to dude. I truly think its worth seeing and I have a feeling if it suffers commercially its only because minorities will write it off as not for them.

I thought they killed the King of Norway

it's anti-troon that's why they're seething so much about it and can't stop bitching on this board about it

Attached: ack.png (232x217, 12.29K)

I think it’s worth ticket price. It’s Eggers’ most big screen worthy film so I don’t think you’ll regret it. There is nowhere near the amount of dialogue hurdles that’s in The VVitch, and if anything, Eggers probably was forced by the studio to make the dialogue more accessible. The only slight hurdle I can think of is Bjork’s scene. She speaks in this strange whisper that can be a bit hard to make out what she says but it’s not bad and there’s no immensely challenging language or anything. The dialogue still flows very nicely during some scenes.
Again, seeing as how you liked his previous two films, I think you’ll find that it’s worth the price of a ticket.

Some of the imagery could legit be used in a Nazi propaganda film

I say this as a good thing btw

>pro-Danish
There isn't a single Dane in this movie. Where the fuck are you hearing that?

Attached: yeah-kill-em.jpg (800x450, 62.62K)

Huh?

northbros...

Attached: Untitled.jpg (500x136, 20.72K)

In the movie?

If you're talking about Amleth's father in the beginning, wikipedia says he was king in Iceland. If you're talking about Fjolnir, his uncle, he creates his hamlet in an unsettled area of Iceland as well. When Amleth is a berserker they don't really tell us anything about the people or villages they attack.

Horvendill killed the king of Norway and his son Amleth is Danish.

The dialogue tries to sound shakespearean but isn't even remotely as hard to follow as actual shakespeare.
The hardest part is understanding motivations behind the actions as the characters don't really behave like they do in typical american 'historical' movies. You might want to do at least a little prereading (wikipedia is enough, it's not that deep lol) on norse culture and religion if you're not familiar with the subject.

In the legend the Danish Horvendill kills Kollr, a minor Norwegian king.

I think if Focus truly bet on this movie making all its money back they wouldn't have gone to Eggers in the first place. He is a weird director telling weird tales and to give him a huge budget is a surefire way to lose at least part of that.

I'm hoping that Focus realizes that critical praise for the film will give them more cultural capital to compete with A24 in the minds of film goers.

If none of this is true and they truly thought it would be a 100 million box office, Focus needs to change its management. Because they are helplessly out of touch

The movie is good, could've used a bit more of Eggers' charm and eye for aesthetics, the the nudity at the end being strategically covered up feels like a bitch-out. I hope there's a director's cut as Egger's has said that he didn't have the final cut. Some scenes felt a little Hollywood in terms of cinematography and storytelling.

Dude was fucking ripped btw

Attached: the-northman.jpg (896x504, 67.29K)

Oh, I see. I read that it is a loose adaptation so I don't know. If Kollr is supposed to be in the movie I'm not sure who stands in for him.

He isn't named in the cast

During that final fight, he just looks like a fucking bear man. He's got an insane build in this movie.

In fact, during most of the second half of the movie I was just blown away at how big he looked.

t. Coping pol third worlder
We are superior to you and that's okay (lol)! Not everyone can be Scandi.

It's time to accept that boxoffice turnouts are the measure of a successful movie anymore, half the battle is in streaming and I garuntee when it's streamable there will be alot more buzz about this movie just like The Lighthouse

Reminder that Anya used to suck and fuck this giant hog

Attached: Dr. Wang.jpg (750x1214, 138.33K)

youre alright user, youre alright. i agree with everything you said

I’m not gay but I just want to touch that body. Not in a sexual way. Just touch it.

Anyabros…

That's not really broached in the movie. You would probably have to know that ahead of time to even catch where in the movie that factors in

Attached: faggot.jpg (1280x960, 271.02K)

wrong, there is specific dialogue in the movie where two soldiers discuss, as a point of mockery, that Fjolnir had to run away to Iceland after taking over his brothers kingdom. Not a rural part of iceland, specifically the island, implying the original brothers kingdom was on the mainland somewhere. You are reading too much into the dialogue

Smooth and hard like river rocks. I understand what you mean, it's a fucking statue worthy physique

oh god

that final fight was epic

I think you misunderstood my post?

I didn't say that Fjolnir created a kingdom in a rural part of iceland. I said he created his shitty little hamlet after his brother's kingdom was sacked. The wiki even states: King Aurvandill War-Raven returns to his kingdom on the island of Hrafnsey which is in Eastern Iceland.

they did mess up with forced accents, though. I didn't find it entirely comprehensible, especially with names, and when they would mumble while forcing the accents out.

But then again, I hear sound at different frequencies and need subs in same languages audio in stereo to understand most of It in any movie. I only go imax because of the sound issue but northman isn't in imax.

Only thing that was funny was Nicole Kidmans plastic surgery face

insult my wife again and meet your demise faggot

Attached: A65D4B46-8D30-4C7B-A69E-BF0FFC31C72F.jpg (1732x2048, 205.67K)

He's right you know.

After killing his brother and seizing his land Fjölnir is driven out by Harald of Norway, and is reducing to be a sheep farmer in Iceland.
Making his treason entirely worthless.
It doesn't mention anything about Denmark.
If a kinslayer quickly losing his stolen land to Harald is "anti-Norwegian" then you got problems.

Is Fjölnir ethnically Danish?

>Be Vikings
>Live in a cold as fuck place
>Wear no shirt
???

They did raid for slaves they did keep slaves
Amlets father is a Jarl ruling an undefined area somewhere on Norways coast but he is not a king
The only time a king is mentioned is when Fjölnir is mentioned as having been driven out and moved to Iceland
Aurvandill rules an island of Norway
At some point after his brother Fjölnir seizes control he is driven out by Harald of Norway, a common event at the time, and has to flee to Iceland

Cant you people fucking pay attention? Or know a bit of history?

I assume Aurvandill War-Raven and his brother Fjölnir were the same culture as Harald of Norway since that was the king who drive Fjölnir out after seized power
Nothing is ever mentioned about Danes and Norwegians
The only time I can recall culture/ethnicity being mentioned is when Amlet is among a group raiding for slaves among the Rus
Had the Norse people even split in Dane/Norg/Swede yet in the 10th century?
Why is this even a sticking point

There were several kingdoms at the time. Sweden, Geatland, Denmark, Jutland, Norway etc and two main "tongues" Danish and Norwegian but these were more or less the same language. Norse was also very close essentially the same language as the tongues the anglo-saxons spoke. (Swedish later on split from Danish). Norse society was family/clan based as was much of Northern Europe at the time. That changed with the introduction of christianity after which marrying your first cousin was banned and the clan based society collapsed. It was probably a uniform culture in most respect, but society was divided by family/lineage. Kingdoms were just political structures that evolved as some clans came to dominate others. These later on solidified after the introduction of christianity (the Christians among many things banned marrying your first cousin which between is why Western Europe is the least inbred region in the world). The Northman is a decent film but mixes audience expectations with history, it would have been better to just follow the original script, where Amleth was prince of Jutland. That script also involves the British islands so would have been more emerging to the anglo audience.

The parts where the vikings engage in black magic and witchcraft? Rape and kill and enslave innocent people? Or maybe destroy themselves in a quest for vengeance?

Felted

Attached: JFA_I_.gif (320x180, 1.08M)