What went wrong

What went wrong

Attached: 0520-Dune-Tout-Lede-a.jpg (1800x1200, 237.45K)

banking on the sequel too hard

Awful art direction. Dune should be baroque, weird, alien, enough that you quite don't understand but still finds beautiful. This movie was all grey and black. Like a /fa/ guy too afraid of being called a faggot.

Attached: nikolay-asparuhov-dune-leto-conceptart.jpg (1959x1200, 506.24K)

Literally nothing

Boring, minimalist direction, dialogue, and visuals. Horrible pacing. Duncan Idaho dicksucking for some reason
correct

not nearly enough Rebecca Ferguson

Not even, just anything that wasn't endless angular shapes in varying shades of grey and brown. Good God this movie was ugly.

Attached: Lawrence was better.jpg (1920x1080, 201.36K)

to be fair, herbert autistically calls the sand white and "sugar" many times in the book

>Why isn't this desert wasteland colorful like my Marvel flicks

This. They REALLY thought we'd care. Americans won't. Shit skins will probably watch it though.

This is a marvel flick champ, jeez.

but enough of dune messiah

nothing, it went fine

>Duncan Idaho dicksucking for some reason
THIS guy didn't read past book 3.

>The desert must be grey and brown and cannot have any colour
>Colour is marvel, mature movies must be cold and flat

Attached: Lawrence of Arabia.png (1920x860, 2.09M)

Why was the Atreides palace on Caladan a brutalist shithole? Why are the Harkonnens all bald like they're larping Dark City? Why is the Atreides heraldry a minimalistic angular collection of polygons that makes them look like a Command and Conquer faction? The only people who had appropriate style were the Bene Gesserit and the Fremen

>Why isn't this fictional planet just like Earth
Lol

Yes the joke was already made dumbass.

>let's split what could be one movie... into TWO!!

You're trying way too hard. This movie was a success in literally every metric

Too much sand, its coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

>colorful like my Marvel flicks
No, it's grey and overtly serious like a DC movie. I don't like Marvel shit but man, Dune was just grey, black, concrete. Why everything must be so minimalist, is everyone buying on the same Space Ikea? Also lot of cheap shit like T-shirts and denim, Amazon gloves and knives, cosplay tier uniforms without any insignia and so on.

Attached: dune-1.jpg (2304x1988, 710.54K)

I...don't care. Does the success of this movie mean that much to you?

This movie felt such a waste, none of those 2 or 3 or however many hours it lasted intrigued me in the slightest until the last 10 minutes.
I'll watch the sequel, fuck it, but this shit boring as fuck.

it is just like the book then

Bad casting. Bad writing

>Bad casting.
Apart from Paul and Chani I think the cast was spot on. Misdirected a lot tho. But again, the main couple is awful, weakest link in the chain. Chamalet is a big nothing, Zendaya is doing her teenage grumpy again. What a shit.

Dune is just not a good book, period. Americans cannot write at all and their books should be ignored at all costs (unless it's Moby Dick). The source material fucking sucks and is overrated as hell. And people honestly thought it was going to be the next Lord of the Rings top kek.

Attached: +_487731bc2038e55fc635275c3a729f2a.jpg (904x1024, 247.32K)

Even the actors hate it. It's all forced, fake, niggers, forgettable, hired trannies, it doesn't make sense as a movie, where the fuck is joy in it? DUNC lmao

Attached: me (2).webm (406x720, 631.21K)

The dynamic between Paul and his mom is subtly offputting in the way that incest is offputting. They're constantly giving each other hungry looks. Plus, they're relatively close in age, at least by appearance and then put in weird situations like being stuck in a tent or changing clothes. They just have strange chemistry. There is an incest vibe.

take your meds

just like the book

this movie is what the fans of the book wanted

>Duncan Idaho dicksucking for some reason
Jason Mamoa wasn't bad, but it was mostly like he's from a completely different movie, especially in the beginning. His dialogue and attempts and humor dont fit the style.

Paul’s mom should have been hotter like the MILF from the 84 version of Dune.

Attached: 1AC8D2E9-44CC-4580-BD31-B772C273B5A1.jpg (854x1295, 157.16K)

>niggers, forgettable, hired trannies
Fucking kek, that's your mind on /pol/. Actually picrel would be a goat Irulan/Feyd, we need some alien beauty in this shit.

Attached: 1624132524557.jpg (2048x2293, 383.11K)

There was no way they could live up to the original movie. Practical > computer

>Americans cannot write at all and their books should be ignored at all costs (unless it's Moby Dick).
Still making all your entertainment and food and causing you to be obsessed and seething so it's all good. You do know you're on an American website that almost exclusively discusses American media, right?

>>Why isn't this fictional planet just like Earth
nice goalpost-moving. why wouldn't this "desert wasteland" look like it's earth equivalent? the laws of physics still apply on Arrakis, after all.

it does fit.
They gave him the charisma of Gurney from the book, in fact, in the book Gurney is always playing a little banjo or someshit

Rebecca Fergusson is hot af, the movie does a shit job again. She is portrayed too much like a mom and too little as a concubine, probably shit rule about hot moms in Pedowood.

Attached: 1587512577847.webm (1280x720, 386.45K)

>and food

Attached: 1625162969635.png (386x445, 259.57K)

>They gave him the charisma of Gurney from the book
Not that user, I agree that Momoa's Duncan fits but the fact that Gurney became a grumpy old man really grind my gears. No charisma at all, just your run of the mill movie drill sergeant.

I'm not talking about the books. I'm only judging the movie, which should be able to stand on it's own. Jason Mamoa is great when he's angry reeeing at the dogs to "fite me" but he gives off too much bro early on, which doesn't fit with the rest of the film. Nobody else has personality. Why should he get one?

I think they did that because people like Jason Momoa

>Nobody else has personality. Why should he get one?
Because the source material is like that?
Look, Dune is about a bunch of weirdos who can control their feelings. Paul himself is a freak of nature trained since birth to be like a human computer but he is even beyond that, his mom is like that too.
As I said, they gave book Gurney's personality to Jason Momoa, I think it is because people like him and he gives off a bro vide more than Josh Brolin

Oh are you still keeping the "old ways" of your irrelevant shithole country and eating bugs or engaging in cannibalism? Being this buttmad over another country's culture is hilarious. If you hate America so much, just ignore America's movies and culture. Oh, that's right. Yodeling forums are really boring.

I eas beans, rice, meat, tomatos, potatoes
You know, real food, unlike canned cheese and frozen dinners you fatsos eat

fuck you, I liked it. But Zendaya should fuck the right off in the sequel. I personally enjoyed Bardem and Stellan Skaarsgard performances especially despite the fact they were given just a short time.

Fair enough. I'm sure I'll become an ackshullying bookfag too when I read them. I did when I read A Song of Ice and Fire. But if you have to explain a movie by citing the books then you kinda already lost the argument. You're not wrong, from the point of view of being informed on the source material, but also kinda missing the forest for the trees. The movie should just work.

>Because the source material is like that?
Not really. As other anons point out they mangled Gurney's character, even demoting him to the 'weapons master when Duncan isn't around' and making his facial scarring way less cool looking to make Idaho seem even larger than life and heroic. The scenes where everyone drops everything to greet him like he's their hero were also jarring. Brolin's performance was also stilted and awkward, which was weird for me to watch as he's usually great in everything.

they call THAT a Fremen Suit?

Look, at the end of the day this is an adaptation, I don't really mind that they gave Gurney's character to Duncan, but that just me, I can see why someone wouldn't like it
What I reaaaaaaaally don't like is how they cut short Liet Kynes, he is one of my favorite characters from the book. He genuinely cares about the people of Arrakis and wants to turn it into a paradise for them, but this is barely touched in the movie

Should have ended on the Spice orgy

Not that user but their personalities are very important to the plot. Not only they are very different and interesting, but the whole political game is like chess and their personalities define what kind of moves they have. It's pretty weird sometimes how you can predict everything that will happen in the books cause every character definition is to thight. They also have passions and missions and they can't escape their craves, that is always used to manipulation and everyone does. That's how the Baron got the Doctor to betray the Atreides, and the first Baron scene in the books is about Feyd trying to kill the baron through an slave. The slave used has a high resemblance to Paul, which fascinates the Baron since he is an irredeemable pedo and have lust for Paul for a long time.

You change one thing in the game and everything falls apart. Dune may be a weird book, even a bad one, but it is interesting as hell.

Attached: 1580081583087.jpg (1004x1500, 734.28K)

Considering what they did with the casting, it was a mercy killing.

They should have explained at the beginning the Fremen crysknife rule where everytime a crysknife is unsheathed that you must draw blood before sheathing it. It would have made the end scene where they all draw their knives more impactful. It was a great fucking movie though, worst thread I've seen in awhile.

I've been shitting on the movie the whole thread and even I'd rather watch it than most other movies. It's a good movie, it's just frustrating to me that they got so many things so wrong unnecessarily

Not that user but I actually didn't mind that in the end. She played Kynes so faithful that it made the whole cast pointless. Kind weird. But the character deserved more like the other user said, all of them actually. Everyone has so little screen time, they pop on, deliver some one liners and disappear for too long. Only Paul, Jessica and Chani got lots of scenes but most of the time they do nothing or we are not given proper context for what is happening. I still think most people didn't got most of the movies scenes right, since I read the book I know what is happening but who knows about the rest of the audience.

>They should have explained
...a lot of things. Instead of having Paul looking at things, they should have talked. Some user that always posted on the DUNC threads insisted on the dinner scene and I wholeheartedly agree, that shit would set up so many important plot points.

DUNC is relatively free of loredumps and exposition compared to Dune '84 so I'm ok with a lot of things being easter eggs, essentially. The David Lynch version has all the characters whispering to themselves as a means of explaining to the audience wtf is going on. DUNC tracks plot-wise right along with it but manages to not do that.

aren't the sardukhar soldiers former slaves/prisoners themselves? fighting because they have no choice? I get a racial vibe with the fremens attacking their tormenters but it's deeper than that right?

I thought they just brought in the Sardukhar to liquidate House Atreides. Didn't really have anything to do with the Fremen, who were being oppressed by the Harkonnen.

visuals were too tame for such a trippy setting

the retarded mutt goblina ruined it. and the other nigger woman

ywnbaw. seethe and cope, subhumans

>aren't the sardukhar soldiers former slaves/prisoners themselves
I must be wrong but their planet once was a prison planet. They probably still send prisioners there but after a time they developed their own culture/race. Now they are very proud of being Sardaukar since it's the Emperor's elite and the deadliest army in the galaxy. And yeah race is very important in Dune, the Freemen are one united race/culture, they seem mixed in the movie and that's kind weird. Chani is kind exotic since she is half Freemen (or her father is half freemen, can't remember now). Also Kynes is the real leader of the planetary Freemen, Stilgar is only a regional leader.

It would have been really interesting in the role. The material is there. Good makeup, bring it up a bit in weight. Inspires me to want to grind his prostate until he ejaculates. Good choice.

Too many niggers