What was it like before home video was a thing?

What was it like before home video was a thing?

People would go to the theater and see a movie and then just never see it again for like 40 years before some shit quality VHS copy came out?

Attached: _91408619_55df76d5-2245-41c1-8031-07a4da3f313f[1].jpg (976x850, 57.91K)

Greatest Generation and Boomers probably had top notch memories before they fried them with drugs.

Yes, hence "Luke I am your Father"

No, your local shit theater would get an old copy of Bambi and play it as a double feature with Deliverance

it was rumored that JFK had a private theatre room in the white house and could get any movie he wanted

For shitty movies yeah. Good popular ones would be shown occasionally by different theaters every once in a while throughout the years.

My grandma used to say she never understood why people would want to rewatch a movie they've already seen before

What a bitch. I'm glad she croaked

it was only about 6-12 months later

Maybe she just changed her mind you dick.

maybe it being a more rare event is why they could marathon a whole movie in one sitting

you actually treasured and appreciated movie releases. they were discussed well after their run in the theaters. now, everything is accesible, forgettable and disposable.

Yes

She was smart, life is short, no point in wasting time like this.

I would imagine that if that were the case, going to the movies was more of an occasion and you really paid attention. In the same way, people used to take pictures of things that mattered more: family gatherings, achievements, great sights, etc. Now, people take shitloads of pictures everyday and don't think about or look at them again. I guess what I'm saying is that those things were more special because they weren't ubiquitous.

Tv would show movies and it was a really big deal. Like there were shows for showing movies. There weren't any hosts or anything but it'd just be called Friday night movie or whatever and would have an introductory graphic and stuff.

It would be in normal theaters for a few months, then in the budget theater for a few months, then nowhere for a few months to a year, then you could buy the VHS at the store or rent it.

I don't know but they went to the cinema for the newsreel

Attached: pepe_and_apu.jpg (939x856, 146.01K)

I have a pretty good memory, when I watch a film I can usually remember 90% of it even a decade or two later. Very rarely do I rewatch films, I have to like them a lot to do so, and even then I very rarely watch more than 2-3 times. I can understand why a retarded manchild with a shit memory would want to, though.

Cheap theatres played popular movies for years.

>I can usually remember 90% of it even a decade or two later. Very rarely do I rewatch films, I have to like them a lot to do so, and even then I very rarely watch more than 2-3 times.
Usually when I rewatch a movie, it's because the film has a certain atmosphere and setting that I want to immerse myself in again. Memory alone doesn't bring me to that place.

>she doesn't rewatch the extended Lord of the Rings trilogy regularly
Ngmi

Before television, wasn't it a combi-deal?
>pay to watch a Hollywood feature film
>pianist is playing live music as you walk in
>newsreel update for a look at the war in Europe
>a couple of film trailers
>here's a 7 minute Daffy Duck cartoon
>now you get to watch your movie
I started this post thinking I was going to make fun of old timey theatres, but this is preferable to the 20+ minutes of ads and trailers you get nowadays.

Raiders of the Lost Ark kept getting re-released for a total of 3 years straight in theaters. Home video, cable tv, etc. had all been invented by that time but just recently so it's still a relevant example of how things were different. I don't know when dollar theaters aka 2nd run theaters started. Maybe a long time ago.

Just train your memory and imagination

ordering sketchy shit from magazines, catalogues
asking friends of friends of friends to get you tapes and betas of stuff you wanted to see but could never see screenings of
annoying managers and projectors of cinemas to rent certain films

I'd rather look at the pictures and listen to the voices and music again. It's like saying
>why go back to a location you've already been to? just remember what it was like
No, I want to go back and revisit it

I never understood this when I was younger but the older I get the more I tend to revisit the same movies over and over again. Maybe I'm developing dementia

I think it was somewhat common for at least one theater in the city to have like summer series and stuff to show old movies. A theater I went to did that because they kept prints from old movies. This was about 30 years ago so I don't know how else they would've done that. The oldest movie I saw was Blade Runner so they'd apparently been doing this for a really long time. It was late at night like midnight.

Mostly. Big movies and cult classics would get more showings but for the average movie yeah, one and done

What did you mean by home video but also vhs

they had real lives they didn't need to watch pretend ones

all these retards who didnt know there was a time before VHS or any home video of any kind which is the point of the thread

its information overload.

The period between the advent of film and the invention of the VHS tape

they went to see Shakespeare and Becket

Attached: 1971f9c9f6b39a84e3e1d39774987fc4a530da262336a335462b3a86154d1752.png (566x528, 137.84K)

but uh what about the new show Nigger Eats Cake?

Theaters held on to favorites for almost forever, then TV played movies, then cable TV took up the rest of the slack.
Star Wars (A New Hope) played in theaters non-stop from May 1977-December 1983.

it was just Star Wars

People like her are why things get ruined, no one respects the past and pay homage or even appreciates the old days. Ironic.

I know, but just typing "Star Wars" or "Star Wars '77" just cause confusion. I am well aware that A New Hope is a 1981 re-edit and not just the title.

The term VHS is in the OP dummy

yeah i was being autistic but some people really do think it was called episode 4 on release (George did have it planned though)

opposite for me and i know for a fact im a nutcase

I understand the autism, user, my pain is knowing that Lucas never released Star Wars or Jedi commercially, not the full original version anyway and Jedi's is lost, so are parts of Star Wars. Not many believe or want to believe what he cut out.

The topic of the thread is "What was it like before home video was a thing?"

VHS is given as the end point of the period being discussed

Have you ever listened the same song twice?
Have you ever ate two burgers?
Have you ever fucked the same woman twice?
The reason people do something twice is not because they forgot about it you consoomerist twat its because they enjoyed it so much the first time.

People were just really into whatever was on network broadcast TV before home video was an option. Then before TV it was radio shows and before that it was stage plays etc. That's why network TV premiers of movies and movie night etc was a big deal back in the day. It's also why rentals took off being the demand was so high people where willing to drive miles to rent a film, then drive back again to return it the next day.
we are just spoiled by modern tech.

well hey I heard Disney just bought Lucas out they will release the originals for sure!

fer shure mang idz printing munny yo

not them, and I agree, but some movies just can't be watched again, like The Game with Michael Douglas, good moobie but once you've seen it, that's it.

the vhs actually comes out pretty fast

Towards the end of its life, yes, but in 1984, if you wanted to buy Ghostbusters: $99.99, buttercup.

In 1940?

In those days they just re-released what people liked.

there's a bit of confusion in this thread about whether we're talking about 1940 or like 2005

>they will release the originals for sure!

what happened to this btw

Disney released the films altered even more, not kidding.

I don't understand how people could be confused. "What did people do before home video?" What is confusing?

Those were actually Lucas' changes before he sold the rights.

Yes and the fools accepted it.
Eh...one of these days someone should risk jail and just take the films out of the salt mine, scan them, put 'em back.

who do you think owns the salt mines kid? not even the mouse, heh

Attached: George-Lucas.jpg (214x314, 13.42K)

>Lucas'
Pet peeve here. It's "Lucas's" because "Lucas'" presumes all Lucases.

Someone needs to distract George with some hot black pussy while a team of dedicated nerds gets to work.

george is way more trust worthy than those fag loving disney cucks

unironically, what did george mean by "maclunky"?