Prometheus

why did reddit shit their pants because of this movie? It was great.

Attached: 817nz5JwlWL._SL1500_.jpg (1297x1500, 218.91K)

it had a few bad scenes and that's all people focused on

>It was great.
It was good, and that's why it was bad.

I wish there was a movie that just focused on the engineers.

Some of the characters make stupid decisions on a few scenes, but if everyone made intelligent decisions there would be no movie.

or maybe if the writers were smarter they could have the characters make intelligent decisions and still have an interesting movie

It deserves a directors cut with the confrontation scene left intact

>Worlds most intelligent scientists and engineers
>All making retarded decisions
No, i expect them to make intelligent decisions. Seriously, petting an unknown alien lifeform? Getting lost when you have a map? Wtf was wrong with these people? Even the average dumb American normie wouldnt be that dumb.

Chuds seethe over the name Damon Lindelof. Ever since LOST dabbed on their stupid asses they haven’t been able to cope.

someone post the ergonomic space axe

>why did reddit-
Stopped reading there

Because it was mogged hard by Alien Covenant
>every single character is a knockdown retard
>charlize theron hates her dad and burns coal
>lame backstory to thing you remember
>thing you remember but kind of different
>great self-operation scene that the movie totally forgets about

this movie and it's sequel both look great next to Cameron's Aliens

It would never focus on the engineers. This series was about David the Android plain and simple. Ridley is obsessed with androids. He doesn't care about Alien, just wanted to force people to watch his android movie.

the cut scene with the xenomorph hybrid was more interesting than the ugly zombie man. not sure why they felt the more boring generic thing was the better direction

Attached: 1647496243569.jpg (480x480, 57.03K)

It was very intentionally supposed to leave you with more question's than answers by design, which is why it's great. I think a lot of people were upset because it ended in such an open-ended way and they felt they got trolled or something.

great film that filters the everliving fuck out of normals

It’s good movie but Covenant is better

Yeah because scientists and engineers aren't stupid fucking nerds that have 0 general common sense and 0 situational awareness?

Fuck everyone that dislikes this movie. The irony of criticizing characters for not having foresight and you can't even imagine how or why characters would be dumb but book smart. And then be smug and unwilling to admit you were wrong and post in every Prometheus thread.

It’s a midwit filter

then how come other movies exist where they don't?

based
correct

imagine you're spending a trillion dollars to fund a historic expedition into deep space, you have countless candidates to choose from, you can pick the best of the best and somehow end up with the bunch of clowns depicted in the movie, fuck you for liking Prometheus, you have shit taste

Fucking based user

Your dumbass doesn't understand human nature or horror movies lol

Does anyone else feel like these movies lost all sense of realism and isolation as soon as the settings changed from grim, far-future but grounded places like colonies, space trucks, and prisons to following groups of soulless scientists with Star Trek tier ships and technology? The art direction is just shit now. I feel nothing about these characters and the setting isn't even interesting to look at.

Attached: 1650397897677.jpg (577x1024, 52.49K)

>Engineers seed countless worlds
>Only Earth succeeds in making viable life
>Early humans are fucking dumb and violent
>Engineers give them fire and teach them tools and to make stuff
>Humans use it to kill each other
>Engineers are disgusted and leave for a bit
>They come back and are sort of happy with humanity's progress
>They decide to give humans one more chance and steal a woman's child to take back to their world
>Teach him about peace and the path to save Humanity's soul
>Deliver him back to Earth
>Humans beat him, crucify him, and leave him for dead. They continue to have wars with each other and be generally shitty
>Oh hell nah, you done fucked up now, Humans
>Activate a single bioweapon ship which will arrive at Earth hundreds of years later when no one from then is still alive nor has accurate information from back then, but you're still going to kill every last one of them horrifically
>Never check on if that ship completed its mission or where it went
>Also for some reason leave detailed navigation instructions leading to one of your bioweapon planets for the cavemen to enjoy since they'll never be smart enough to build a spaceship and follow them, right?
Prometheus lore is retarded

This.
Neither do you, these weren't your run-off-the-mill space truckers, these are supposed to be the best of the best. Astronauts make mistakes too, yes, but I'd argue their rate is far, far, far lower than most people in their jobs on earth, because the stakes are much higher.

100% agree. Alien Isolation was the sequel I always wanted. It kept the general aesthetic, spooky dark space structures and bulky, retro technology. The Prometheus stuff is far too advanced and easy. Then Covenant goes in the opposite direction making everything too shitty and modern with no space suits, M4 rifles, no real interesting sci-fi tech or aesthetic to speak of.

Attached: 1628788451447.jpg (1920x1080, 100.76K)

It's a cool movie just didn't need to be involved with Alien at all.

no it wasnt

Pretty much everything about that movie is retarded, I've only ever seen pseudointellectuals defending this movie, which makes sense, since it's literally nothing but.

Covenant was shit, though. At least Prometheus made an effort, Covenant went full-on Obnoxious Adventures of Pseudbot. And the "twist" with him replacing his non-shit counterpart was so blatantly obvious that nobody has any excuse for not guessing it as soon as the fight scene ended.

I keep hoping if I watch it again I will have changed in some way that I see the good in it. but i never have. Ridley fucking lied too saying people wanted the xeno. no they didn't. you could put on alien today with an edit that takes all the xeno shots out, and still have a good time

>Your dumbass doesn't understand human nature or horror movies lol
Fuck off. Theres no way if youre a biologist you would just pet an unknown animal, let alone a vicious looking space alien snake. That has nothing to do with human nature or being a horror movie.

I don't think their stupid decisions are a problem. The real problem is there's nobody to care about/root for so when all this big dramatic action is happening in the later part, you just think, who cares? I'd be fine for them all to die so why even watch

Yeah, also a cartographer without an innate sense of direction is entirely unbelievable.
This movie was nothing other than Ridley Scott circle-jerking himself, and it retrospect, it seems he accidentally scored a hit with Alien and actually has no clue what he's doing.

OK, OK all those problems are valid. To me one problem stands out: the ship and its crew are cheap Firefly knockoffs. Pic related speaks for itself, but even more egregious was Idris Elba's brown leather jacket and country drawl.

Attached: 5367dc17-7813-4d28-81c7-16b15f563e2e.jpg (1500x750, 140.67K)

He also had floating mapping drones that 3-d scanned everything. There's no excuse. And if they wanted us to like the characters, they shouldn't have made that guy an arrogant prick acting hard then the first coward to demand immediately to run back to the ship at the first sign of anything unusual in the alien ship they went to find.

>these are supposed to be the best of the best
Like the "best of the best" Marines in Aliens who are actual retards who do nothing but quip?

>why did everyone shit this movie? It was great?
no it was crapo albeit with a nice atmosphere

You mean, that movie that had Ripley complaining the entire time they weren't taking the threat seriously enough?
Yeah, they weren't the best of the best either, and they were also intentionally presented that way.

I'm convinced people have no taste if they think Aliens is good but Prometheus is shit.

Covenant is scarier, more interesting, and a better overall watch.

The Marines were fine but hampered at every turn by Gormon's lack of combat experience and knowledge of the colony machinery. If they hadn't attacked the hive right under the primary cooling and been forced to sling guns, they would have mopped the floor with the aliens.

There was really no reason to believe what Ripley was saying was accurate and Burke/Corporate intentionally downplayed it. They were used to encountering civilians who weren't competent or trustworthy. They assumed the colony just had a downed transmitter like previous missions.

It's the best of the franchise along with the original

>Covenant
>Scary
Lets not get carried away, it's a cheap excuse to watch xenomorphs kill people again. It's extremely 2D, kind of like capeshit for Alien fans.

>They assumed the colony just had a downed transmitter like previous missions
Ergo, there's no need to send the best of the best, unlike on your maiden, trillion-dollar-interplanetary space-science voyage.

Both Alien and Aliens had believable, plausible settings and plots. The same cannot be said for Prometheus or Covenant.

Retarded statement

retarded poster

>dude the best of the best who make no mistakes
wouldn't be a horror movie then you autists

how you can make this argument when Prometheus is allegedly in the same franchise as Alien, a far scarier movie which features a competent crew who don't make retarded decisions, is beyond me

except they do, which is why Ripley is the only survivor. Are you stupid or do you think you should look right into a giant alien egg that opens? Or go off saying "kitty kitty kitty" when you saw an alien pop out of the chest of your coworker?

>he wouldn't save Jonesy by any means necessary

Attached: 1648776089382.gif (224x336, 955.56K)

>caring about a fucking cat when there's an unknown alien that killed someone infront of you after you saw it faceraping it's comatose body.
This is why you die. Also how stupid are Alien fans to think survival of the fittest hasn't been a thing since the first movie. Humans make dumb decisions and die, that's horror 101. Alien is B horror but A grade quality.

The greatness of Alien was really more at the hands of the scriptwriters more so than the director.

It's first and foremost sci-fi, not horror, such that the second installment entirely forewent the horror genre (it's a sci-fi war movie).

>bowdlerized script doctoring job by Lindelhof (who never did any films prior), which dumbed down the Spaight-Ridley script catstrophically
Alien captured the fear in the air, Prometheus side stepped it with otherwise much anticipated set ups (AI, transhumanism, privatized tech & space travel, hidden human prehistory, Ancient Ayys, War in Heaven)

>It was very intentionally supposed to leave you with more question's than answers by design, which is why it's great
They're not the right questions, with the right framing, because they're downstream of a compromised vision conceded to studio pressure and paint by numbers incentives

Not only that, it's a military expedition e.g. the original has the foresight to embedd a synthetic on the crew to prioritize the hardware and mission (profits) over the replaceable meatsuit operators

>Druids are the seeders; Xenosuit Engineers are at odds with them
>former space Amish after war with black goo & xenomorph lifeforms, more robotic than organic, latter believe they have to harness and control it to prevent it from happening again
There's your non-GMO reincarnation non-materialists vs. tech singularity/transhumanism divide. David's appearance to the awakened Engineer confirms the danger of mankind to them as falling into SkyNet-Black Goo paradigm.

oh i'm nta you were arguing with. i just like cats

Attached: 1650498154912.jpg (437x437, 66.4K)

It's pretty clear in the contract, if you don't bring back Jonesy alive and well then no bonus for you

>it's not horror foremost when it's about an unknown alien raping humankind

>Not only that, it's a military expedition e.g. the original has the foresight to embedd a synthetic on the crew to prioritize the hardware and mission (profits) over the replaceable meatsuit operators
lol the robot there to spy on the employees isn't a good thing you fucking dullard