Netflix estimates 100 million households are sharing passwords - global crackdown is coming

>Netflix said more than 100 million global households use a shared password, with more than 30 million of those in the U.S. and Canada.
>Netflix suggested it will begin to make accounts that share passwords pay up.
>Netflix has long ignored password sharing because it has been growing without cracking down on it, but the company announced it lost subscribers in the first quarter for the first time in more than a decade.

You DO have a couple of friends you share with right user?

Attached: unnamed.png (512x512, 7.69K)

My grandmother and mom. Three different houses. Crackdown and I cancel.

I don't even think about Netflix. I'm European though.

>we're losing customers
>lets fuck the customer

it's time to teach my parents how to download torrents and use an HDMI cable

>we're losing customers
>lets fuck the customer
This. The fuck are they thinking. Even so, the top plan with 5 profiles is almost triple the price of the basic plan.

They really need to change their plans anyway. Every plan should be 4K and every profile should be more money no matter what house / ip address they are using.

DO NOT SHARE THE PASSWORDS, SIRS

yeah i am sure this wont backfire at all...
anyway this seems to be a "accepted" thing for people, i know of one dude that shares it with his sisters and splits the bill.

Cut Netflix off last price hike and honestly haven't even accidentally opened the app out of habit lol. It has nothing good, Netflix originals were something interesting once long ago, now everything Netflix original is a joke. Their algorithm likes to recommend the same 100 movies and shows that I'll never watch. People say it has so much more, but I've never been able to get past the surface trash they're trying to push. They're the worst platform and I'm happy to see it scramble for life.

I want you, all of you, to blow compressed air into my ten year old sister's urethra.

>take three years to continue your most popular series
>"why are we losing subscribers??"

Why do they let us make profiles? Isn't the point that households can share access?

like if blockbuster in their dying days decided it was a good idea to start hiring PI firms to track down every member with a late fee

They need to just do this in shithole countries. In the US and Canada, most people are sharing passwords the way they are “supposed” to. Like I know a lot of people that share it among family members, that’s what it’s for, and those people aren’t gonna all get an individual netflix account, this will just lose them customers. Shithole countries, as with everything else, are the ones abusing this. They are the ones selling passwords online etc. but really netflix is in trouble. Their content just gets worse and worse, they went all in on “original” content but the only one doing that worse then them is Amazon prime, and most have that for the shipping anyway. Hbo max is crushing them in originals, and hulu has far far better shows them they do. Even garbage like paramount is doing better with halo and their worthless Star Trek in drumming up excitement for new shows. And Amazon has lord of the rings coming. Unless netflix has a few banger shows coming soon they are fucked I think

I'm in a somewhat of a shithole country and my friend says that his brother shares his password with like 16 people including him. He also told me that these crackdowns don't concern them because all these 16 people live in the same city or very nearby, so they shouldn't be affected at all.

Imao I am always buying passwords for like 1$ and watch netflix for a few months. Fuck them, I'll be pirating and shit

I mean, did they say that’s how they are doing it? If you are in the same region it’s ok? I guess that would make some sort of sense, but I kinda doubt that’s all they are doing. I think Netflix and others may realize with this just how close many people are to saying fuck it. I have literally every steaming service because I share with friends, so I get them all for under 10 dollars a month. With that it’s worth it for the convinience. If I can’t do that anymore, we won’t all buy our own fuck that. Or even 1 each. We will just pirate instead. Pirating is gay and I haven’t done it since I was a teenager but I’m not paying like 100 dollars a month to get all the shows, not gonna happen.

They didn't, I didn't really care because I wasn't going to join even though it would cost me like a dollar or something. They said that as long as the distance between users is shorter than 30 or 40 kilometers you're good to go.

Oh. In that case that’s not so bad. Hell they may actually gain subs from this, as this is 99 percent just going to effect people trying to scam the system. Sure most of the people buying subs for 1 dollar online won’t buy their own account, but if 1 in 5 do they might come out ahead. This is just really bad timing for them. If they were gonna do this they should have when they were on an upward trajectory. This just looks bad for them

im surprised people are willing to pay 20 somethint bucks for their shit catalogue

netflix is already over in most peoples minds anyway lol
people are sick of there being dozens of shitty streaming services
younger people just watch tiktok or youtube

Why don't they just send the boys round to every household and make them pay up or break their legs

They are bleeding subs, so they kinda aren’t. In the last 5 years or so they have about doubled in price and their catalog is about half as good. So in 5 years people are getting 25 percent what they were, and on top of that other streaming services are increasingly better. Like hbo max just put up Batman, netflix never puts new movies on there. If they don’t change something they are fucked

For me? I just hope they find a way to stamp out piracy while Yea Forums still exists. The butthurt from poorfags here will be so immense it will solve the energy crisis if they can find a way to harness it. Gods that will be a funny time. Too bad they are going after adblockers first, there’s lots of butthurt but it’s gonna annoy me too.

Most of us don't own boats so i don’t think that’s an issue

never happen, it's the social proof keeping the account paid in 99% of cases.

Wonder how long until younger people figure out torrents again

I agree with this. The price should just be per profile, with maybe a discount on extra ones. Now if you want 4k, you have to pay for a multiple user plan I think.

No you don’t seem to get it. They aren’t going to. They are just stopping watching tv and movies. Literal worse case scenario. In the future the only form of media will be .5 second clips of retards making soijack faces. And video games are just going to be feeding the gsme 20 dollars every few minutes so it makes a slightly different soijack face. Thanks zoomers

I kind of doubt that. These things go in cycles and that very well may reverse. In fact, there are some signs of this with long-form podcasts gaining popularity.

Why does anyone pay for their entire catalog when you can just pirate the two or three things they have that are actually worth watching?

What is even the point of Netflix? The office isn't on there anymore and when it was, it was cheaper and easier to just buy the boxed set rather than maintain a monthly subscription.

I'm too cheap to even spend $1 on fake accounts, I just stream and pirate everything they have.

It's for retarded boomers and zoomers, who can only purchase shit.

Classic death spiral

You sound like the same retards who thought books were bad for people because it's a form of imagination escapism.

That sounds great if the price actually made sense. Like it should be say 5 dollars for a single person account. But they won’t do that, they will just take away the multiple people and still charge 20. I’ve been saying this since streaming started, it’s only a matter of time until it’s just cable again. It’s already fracturing like crazy where 1 service gets you like 20 percent of shows/movies. Only a matter of time until there’s 30 different ones and you buy a “package” of them, and have to scroll through different ones to find something decent because each service has 1 good show. Hey look it’s cable again. And trust me, there will be ads. Can’t believe anyone ever thought we were heading towards a better future kek. Mark my words there will come a day when people miss cable tv, I don’t know how they are gonna make it worse then cable, I only know they will

If they do this I’ll just cancel and switch to amazon or hbo. Simple as

Ya bro tik tok videos are so much better then a movie. Kill yourself.

Why is it so hard for you guys to comprehend that most people don’t steal shit and don’t want to? Surely you aren’t that far gone? Like I don’t give a fuck, I was pirating shit likely before you were born. But it’s only the norm in shitholes for good reason. In normal well functioning societies most people don’t steal and don’t want to. Further, if most people didn’t pay for this shit(in real countries that is) tv shows and movies wouldn’t get made. So if you like them, you should be glad that most people aren’t as poor as you

>set up vpn between family houses
>send data from certain devices through one place
>all gets the same ext ip address
>no way to tell passwords are shared
i don't even use netflix or any streaming service or watch live tv or youtube

Attached: hpp.jpg (750x920, 338.44K)

You're retarded if that's what you're getting out of it.

No, it means
>lets milk customers we still have
They cant charge you if you share. They just will limit sharing and ask you extra money if you want to keep the possibility to share!

all the people who are capable of this (not retards) just torrent

Nobody gives a fuck, they just don't want to learn the art of torrenting.

My mom pays for a Netflix subscription and shares it with me and my 2 brothers, each of us live in different places with our on families. We’re not stopping. If Netflix ends it I’ll just revert down to pirating and teach them how to use stremio/myFamilyCinema

how poor are you?

Lmao it’s so funny how important it is that you believe you are smarter then other people. Everyone i grew up with was downloading shit off limewire and the like, 0 of them pirate now because we all have jobs and are semi normal people that don’t steal. And the biggest retard I knew who had to be held back multiple times knew more about computers while he was sniffing glue than you will ever learn. You aren’t special you are just poor and like to steal. Just own it.

Well he has a family and can’t afford Netflix without his mom paying for it, what do you think? 95 percent chance he’s on food stamps lmao

do pirates still use torrents its not the 90s grandad lol

oh no!

>Terrible Catalog, literally shit that's straight-to-DVD tier
>Terrible originals
>Wrecked The Witcher when they had entire books to base it off of
>Made terrible live action animes that are in contention with some of the worst dialogue ever written
>Stock Market is falling? Let's fuck the customers by going the way of cable with ads
>Let's also fuck the customers by cracking down on sharing passwords also
>Don't worry we totally won't fall into Blockbuster-tier irrelevancy by 2025
Thank god Netflix is going in the shitter. They've torpedoed and tarnished so many good IP's and fucking cancelled The Dark Crystal, fuck Netflix.

Maybe we'll actually get kino once they go bankrupt or Disney buys it.

Attached: top kek.png (640x720, 458.32K)

Just host your own Plex server, torrent stuff they like and teach them how to access your server.

Classic. Netflix is repeating the same pattern of failed companies.

>plex
stop supporting this dogshit worse than fucking netflix

>down 27% premarket

Attached: 1615083649794.jpg (759x847, 48.41K)

I'm not talking about Plex originals which are dog shit. I'm talking about their home server function so you can stream stuff you have to others.

not that user but plex is by far the easiest way to setup something like that for normie family members to use, even if it doesn't meet your kodi level tier autism.

I'm not one for luxuries, and Netflix used to be one of the few I thought was worth it. Being able to watch the Ken Burns documentaries, especially the Vietnam one, was good.

But now the catalogue is shit, it has been diluted by everyone else being greedy and wanting a pice of the streaming pie. I might just cancel it and go back to pirating everything, I don't watch much anyway.

i know exactly what you are talking about
we have open protocols like upnp/dlna for lightweight streaming media that hardware renderers (smart tvs for the past 10 years) can play served media and take remote commands.
stop supporting closed and paid client server ecosystems and normalising android app plugin devices

Not at all, I work in IT, I actually make more than 98% of people on my country. I pay Disney+, amazon prime and Spotify for them, have HBO Max as a benefit from my premium bank account service(which I also do not pay extra for because I spend a lot), and get Apple+ thanks to my PS5.

Still I torrent movies from time to time whenever they’re only released for renting and not as part of the catalog for any of those services I already pay for. When you actually get a hold of our own money, little chud, you will learn to value it.

That’s a possibility, in reality my mom and my brothers each pay for an IPTV server, I don’t because don’t really watch TV and the movies/series in there have shit bitrate compared to the original source or torrenting.

They should move the company to Africa.

Why the FUCK do WWII documentaries have to have talking head "experts". The older stuff where it is ALL period footage with a stern narrator is vastly superior.

Attached: 1604329140355.png (700x700, 103.35K)

cope defensive poorfag, you have third world mindset

I will literally do nothing. Sit and look at a wall. Just to spite these cunts. No, it's not password sharing, it's the market stretched thin in a dead economy. On top of that, their content is shit. Seriously, you're better off with fucking Tubi and it's free.

how will they know.

for their polar bear documentary?