Can someone explain to me why Jimmy was such a big deal in the UK...

Can someone explain to me why Jimmy was such a big deal in the UK? As an American looking in from the outside it just seems weird how devoted people were to him. Can you equate his level of fame and public relevance to any US celebrity?

Attached: Jimmy Savile.jpg (1200x900, 213.53K)

america doesn't have celebrity equivalence cause americans don't believe in charity

all the money goes to the ...you know who.

>Can you equate his level of fame and public relevance to any US celebrity?
The way you worship politicians like Obama and Blumpf. That's the equivalent.

MJ

He was like Oprah in her heyday, basically.

The UK media and social structure of the era was very unique. Saville isn't just remarkable for his crimes but by how huge his career was.

Combine Casey Kasem, Mr Rodgers and Oprah and you're getting there but not even close.

because bongs are degenerate, all the good ones moved to the USA centuries ago

Attached: uk.jpg (500x270, 38.97K)

I think you're overestimating the level of esteem he actually had. He presented the music charts programme Top of The Pops which was extremely popular not because of him but because it was the charts programme. He also presented Jim'll Fix It. which invited kids to write in with requests of their wildest dreams and the programme would try to make it happen. Not really surprising why that was popular. Savile as a personality was incidental to the success of both shows.

The man himself was generally agreed to be a bit weird but because the UK has a culture of admiring eccentricity, his general creepiness was tolerated and because of his charity work it was assumed that he underneath all that he must really be a decent guy deep down. By the time the 90s came about he was a regarded as a complete joke.

Was innocent

he wasn't that big a deal
he was just a popular tv presenter, like ant and dec or holly willoughby or whatever

>average britoid: oh yeah this guy who looks like he walked straight out of the loony bin is definitely not a nonce bruv no way

I guess he was like a Jay Leno or Letterman type

You're not British.

To be honest even by the 90's he wasn't as famous but was still a a pop culture icon, this is from a kids show from the mid 2000's

Attached: savile.jpg (464x261, 25.75K)

Yeah, just a TV presenter who was best friends with the PM and had a hotline to royalty
Honestly, the englishmen in here trying to downplay Savile's hugeness is embarrassing

I definitely would have fallen for his stage persona and thought he was the greatest. Even knowing what was coming in part 2 of the Netflix documentary I found myself smiling at some of his antics and interviews and had to remember he was diddling nonces and spastics and not just an eccentric punter

yeah they do it's literally exactly the same situation as Bill Cosby, he was a household name so noone dared stand up to him and his diddling was kept quiet. It's was slightly worse in Savilles situation due to the class system in the UK meaning everyone high up knows eachother so he ended up having even more protection from political friends and broadcaster buddies that Cosby didn't, hence why he got caught while still alive.

I am.

no one under 50 understands, either

Attached: 874016120106046.jpg (2464x3756, 1.73M)

post dna

Attached: dna.png (998x710, 75.9K)

he wasn't best friends with the PM nor did he have a hotline to royalty (whatever that means)

I suppose most Brits were assuming this guy diddled high schoolers in his free time, not that he was raping children en masse and playing with corpses

He had dozens of letters from Prince Charles asking for advice and Thatcher would hang out with him and was the reason he got knighted

Imagine if Mr Rogers was outed as a necrophiliac + pedophile after he died.

Yeah I can't say I believe that poster above saying by the 90s he was a joke as he would still get interviewed about the royals, would do all his charity work, etc. I've seen clips of Saville on panel shows even in the 2000s where the hosts were falling over themselves to welcome Sir Jimmy Savile, OBE KCSG

Everyone assumed he was a nonce. It was a common joke. All these jokes and rumours ending up swamping the genuine accusations and they were all dismissed together.

if you think thatcher or prince charles would have the slightest bit of interest in being "friends" with some provincial tv presenter then you're deluded

This guy was really popular and beloved. People couldn't believe it. You're either larping as british, a zoomer, or downplaying it because you take country banter seriously.

Thatcher requested his knighthood no less than three times user

>americans don't believe in charity

And don't you ever forget it faggot. We're not helping your yuro problems.

The police had him in 6 times regarding the Yorkshire Ripper investigations in the 80’s.
They took ‘Teeth impressions’ from him, as the ripper had a helper it seems. Bite marks on the victims. And bite marks on patients in Broadmoor were seen by staff, made the police join the dots. But he was let off.

Either you've been living under a rock or you work for the BBC

>you take country banter seriously

Like you're doing now? lmao

he was no different to what like jim davidson or noel edmunds were in the 90s, or ant and dec in the 00s and 10s
yeah he was popular but was quite literally just a tv presenter

What are you talking about? What am I taking seriously? I'm just stating the fact that Saville was extremely popular. What do you mean?

Watch the documentary.

I'm going with living under a rock on this one. BBC shill wouldn't be denying the obvious, they'd just try and play up how "nobody could have possibly known"

i've watched the documentary
it would hardly be the first time a documentary has overstated something to add drama

people obviously did know but i'm not talking about the noncery and the cover up
i'm talking about how popular he was; people equating him to michael jackson is hilarious

ant and dec were pretty fucking popular dude

Anglocucks hype up all their shitty entertainers

>He had dozens of letters from Prince Charles

Both Jim and Prince Charles were/are massive figures in charitable causes. It's unsurprising their paths would have crossed, Charles likely corresponded with 20 different charitable figures this week alone.

The scandal has, and always will be, how the BBC protected Jimmy. There's no deeper conspiracy than that.

he was more popular than these two

that's for sure

Attached: p05rthhk.jpg (640x360, 33.29K)

How did anyone leave their kids close to this creepy looking fuck? Him matching the pedo phenotype isn't a coincidence. Even without know who the guy is, you can tell he touches kids.

Top of The Pops was a huge show that every teenager watched.

I would say that Mr Rogers is an American equivalent in how adored and respected he was by the general public at the height of his fame.

also the UK in the 1980s was not like the US with 6 different major networks.

You had the BBC and ITV and that was it. If you had a prime-time TV show in the UK in the 1980s, your audience was huge - talking 30-40 million of 50 million people. (At that time)

I never said there was a deeper conspiracy. I was pointing out how he had an abnormally close relationship with people in power as a way of pointing out how he wasn't just "some TV guy"
You're the one who sprung into action to be like "BUT CHARLES DEFINITELY WASN'T A PEDO WITH HIM!!!"

there was like 2 channels

Nah, when they played Knebworth in 1996 2.5 Million people applied for tickets. That's around 5% of the entire population of the UK at the time. For one gig. Oasis were huge.

I'm not the person you are replying to. Why did you think I'd reply to you twice, in separate posts?

>I was pointing out how he had an abnormally close relationship with people in power

No more than anyone else who is both involved in TV and charity. Many forgotten names there, because they didn't turn out to be nonces.

You're aware that they were laughing at him during those HIGNFY apperances right? That the constant impressions of his voice and style were mocking him? That the whole tone of the Theroux documentary is, as with most of his 90s work, "look at this freak." There was a undoubtedly a degree of nostalgic affection towards him from kids who had grown up watching Jim'll Fix It but there's a reason why his presenting career dried up. He wasn't the nation's grandad, he was the strange autistic uncle who smelled and never got married but used to get you nice presents when you were a kid so you tolerated him during family get-togethers.
Naturally he was popular because on account of being on two popular television shows. In a nation with only three channels that gifted him a lot of notoriety. "Beloved" is a little too strong. "I've heard he's a nice guy who does a lot for charity but he gives me the creeps" was the general sentiment.

he has definitely killed kids

It wouldn't surprise me if Charles never considered their relationship as anything beyond professional acquaintances but clearly Margaret Thatcher at least had a personal attachment to him and considered him a personal friend - he visited with her for weekends at a time even when there was no charitable event or other "work" to be done simply because they enjoyed one another's company. Her being famously stuffy, his jokes probably let her relax and laugh a little behind closed doors

The American equivalent would be an amalgamation of Mr Rogers and Jeffrey Epstine

ITT: coping britbongs who don't want to admit how gross their country is

Attached: 1650288884261.jpg (482x526, 19.68K)

Margaret Thatcher clung to ANY tv personality who was nice to her. She said Jim Davidson was her favourite comedian. Likely untrue, but Jim was kind to her and Jim actually left the UK when she lost power. Thatcher found a popular media personality who wasn't a cunt to her and so latched on.

Thatcher used to walk into a room and see her cabinet laughing to tears at 'spitting image' and demand they turn it off. She was oddly sensitive about these things for some reason.

It’s a generational thing. I grew up in the 90s/00s and I didn’t know who he was other than some old tv presenter.
I didn’t care when the scandal broke until it became literally the only story on the news because some old dead forgotten weirdo being a pervert didn’t seem that important.
Now, if Attenborough was noncing kids, that would be a disaster.

I accept your concession.

Radio, television, charity

Only an extremely small percentage of women have the ability to actually laugh at themselves. Thatcher wasnt one of them.

Zoomers won't remember this but back in the day Saville actually was MJ big in Britain. In fact at peak he was bigger, the only 21st century celebrity I can think of with that level of fame is Putin for Russians

Pre internet, Britain and its people were a holistic nation.

lmao

Mr Rogers was too squeaky clean to be anything like Savile, I'd say Rolf Harris is closer to Rogers. Savile did charity and kids shows but he still was kind of a cheeky uncle who told dodgy jokes that went over kids heads, kind of like a Johnny Carson type.

I was born in '92 and had no idea who he was until the scandal came out. Way I see it, he touched on so many different institutions who turned a blind eye to the accusations against him, that it became a big deal.
The BBC, the police, hospitals, all enabled him and showed who much corruption there was in British institutions. The same thing is happening now with Prince Andrew being exposed as one of Epsteins friends.

he's got them sanpaku eyes

There really isn't an American equivalent because nobody as blatantly weird as Savile would ever be put in front of an American television camera.

It happens all the time. Just recently there was a guy on Tiktok who goes by Jerobe. Complete lunatic with no charisma and no talent, all he did was spew some retarded woke shit while twerking. Gained millions of followers in a year or two, little girls and boys worshipping the guy and talking about how he changed their lives. Turned out to be a pedophile groomer.
Groomers are going to groom. They know exactly how to play the game and to an outsider it doesn't make any sense.

Role Harris being caught noncing was a big supirse. Equivalent to Bob Ross being outed as a pedo in the US.