Why did the Chinese government authorize the financing and release of this film...

Why did the Chinese government authorize the financing and release of this film? How does this slow depressing epic comport with Xi Jinping Thought?

Attached: An_Elephant_Sitting_Still-304447930-large[1].jpg (843x1200, 165.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N0k0GNlY_ro
youtube.com/watch?v=LQaK3tL6qIE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

China is more free than the USA

you should watch Old Stone (2016) which is even more shocking that it got released
>film about a man who accidentally gets in a car accident with someone, and takes him to the hospital, ends up paying his bills because nobody else will
>his family leave him because he's spending their money
>victim's family won't even spend on the hospital bill
>witnesses refuse to speak up in case they have to spend money
>entire life ruined because he displayed empathy in a society full of greed and void of empathy

Attached: kino.webm (1280x680, 2.94M)

the director killed himself after making that

director ""suicided""

Xi Jinping's favourite director is Jia Zhangke. I guess letting director voice their criticism about the Chinese society's problems is part of his effort to reestablish the connection between the party and society.

So Long, My Son is also a movie criticised the one child policy. Censorship isn't so strong anymore.

some films don't quite make it, they either get banned or censored a lot inside china; i think much of it is that the chinkjew is happy to take foreign investment from people that want to fund films, even if they're controversial, they'll just either censor the shit out of them or ban them entirely in china but let people do whatever they want outside

Attached: old stone.webm (1280x680, 2.87M)

the financial aspect certainly plays a big role. I remember watching a Jia Zhangke interview where he said that around 2004 the Chinese state started viewing films more as a market rather than purely a means for propaganda, which caused the censorship rules to become more lax and him being able to make films freely.

>Censorship isn't so strong anymore.

They now literally started to go back and censor old Hong Kong films and have banned any public screenings of the original versions.

What are you talking about?
There was a rumor before Xi came to power that his favorite director is Jia Zhanke

The fact is, after Xi came to power, Jia's movies are allowed to sell tickets in China, and Jia had became a people's representative of some government committee.

i knew this would happen and started to archive as much as i could; made in hong kong is kino by the way

Attached: kinography.webm (1280x692, 2.95M)

well of course it's not like censorship stopped completely, we all remember the recent Fight Club debacle lol

Damn this looks good, what are some other non-HongKongite modern chinkinos? Care to make a little list?
I already have Dwelling in the Fuchun Mountains in my backlog

China indeed sees movies as market and business.

And in market depressing movie is bad for business.

a few from the top of my head:
>The Looming Storm
>Long Day's Journey into Night
>Black Coal, Thin Ice
been a while since i saw any actually, i moved back into taiwan/HK kino
>depressing movie is bad for business
the chinksect's best films are their most depressing ones on crime/murder and the realisation of how utterly fucking depressing china is

ZYM also made his movie about the worst labor camp in Cultural Revolution.

It just didn't get wide release in the west because Covid.

let's not forget they also use film to push utter insanity; here's a film from The Looming Storm's director which makes the Wuhanflu situation looks like an act of triumph and strength from communism
youtube.com/watch?v=N0k0GNlY_ro

China has:
>a far more homogenous society
>one party system, no illusion of (((democracy)))
>no one gives a fuck about trannies and faggots
>no wokeism
>no niggers
>Xi Jinpoo probably the most capable leader currently alive

Muttland has:
>niggers, beaners, mulattoes, gooks, chinks, nips, halfbreeds, mutts
>cringe, obviously fake (((democracy))) [election fraud 2020]
>biggest exporter of degeneracy across the globe
>wokeism
>Biden: geriatric, incestuous smoothbrain that that regularly soils himself

Well Taiwan/HK kino is acceptable too, as long as it's kino right? I've already seen Yi Yi and I know about Chungkin Express

i recently talked to a girl from a chinese city that just complained that her boyfriend kept cheating on her with other men and kept lying about it, she said she kept allowing him back into their place because "she was progressive and even had a dildo she used on him to try to keep him satisfied" kek

So why won't you just fuck off there?

>one party system, no illusion of (((democracy)))

Actually, China has nine political parties. Eight of which are communist.

>The Looming Storm
Ok but...too similar to others.
>Black Coal, Thin Ice
Not impressed

Wild Goose Lake is interesting for the one last chase. The criminal guy knows the police will hunt him down and he gulps down the spicy noodle. The police pose photo over his dead body. Absolutely cynical.

Attached: B4E382CE-205B-45E7-A9D2-6DC1BB7983CC.jpg (500x700, 176.39K)

I never watch "kino" I watch flick

Seeing Sadness getting torrented surprises me.

Why China don't make kinos anymore? nowadays it is only propaganda war movies bullshit. Movies like Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

'A Touch of Sin' (named after the famous 70's kung-fu movie) is one of the most acclaimed of the 2010's. It covers a lot of the major anxieties of modern China (being cheated; being overworked in menial jobs; getting raped, etc.).

Attached: p10193872_p_v8_aa[1].jpg (960x1440, 269.99K)

Made in Hong Kong
Autumn Moon
Long Arm of the Law 1 & 2 (guilty pleasures of mine)
Rebels of the Neon God
The White Girl
Stray Dogs
City on Fire (Also most of John Woo's films)
A Simple Life (Chink one I just remembered)
An Autumn's Tale
more but i'm getting lazy
>Korean kino
Hong Sang-soo's works (pretty much it, most KR stuff is shit
yeah i don't like the others as much, Old Stone and The Looming Storm are interesting; the rest are a bit entry level but still worth mentioning as entry level stuff since they sum up chinkkino quite easily

i'm quite picky with chink films since many get heavily praised but have very clear commie support behind them
it's hard to make kinos when you're:
>in china during current times of political weakness
>limited by the wuhanflu's restrictions across the country

Attached: vlcsnap-2022-01-06-19h52m35s114.png (1920x1040, 2.88M)

>Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
HK / US movie, directed by a taiwanese.

Thanks for the trailer

I tried to watch more Chinese movies but I am always at least a year behind the latest hits. Just can't make myself follow their entertainment news.

don't watch it if you find it, it was just an example of how the chinks use film to be somewhat relaxed in what you'd think is controversial to them, but also use it to push agendas and communism; that film is nothing more than propaganda aimed at making everyone involved in the wuhan flu as victims but tough because "communism made them come together"

Propaganda isn't necessarily bad. The propaganda musical 'The East is Red' is pure cheesy patriotic Maoist-era slop, but it's also a strange and captivating work of art:

youtube.com/watch?v=LQaK3tL6qIE

Attached: Poster.jpg (2218x3344, 942.77K)

Yeah I remember all of the concentration camps and people getting welded into their homes during lockdown as if this were the fucking black death in Venice.

great thread

>Why did the Chinese government authorize the financing and release of this film?
Source? Most critically acclaimed films from Mainland are actually indie, on shoestring budgets.

I had a communist phase where I was obsessed with Marxist-Leninist-Maoist thought. I'm past it now but watching some of that sort of gave me deep stirring prideful feelings that I used to have. Almost too overwhelming to watch the rest.

>but it's also a strange and captivating work of art
that's the point though: it's meant to captivate and pull you in, while sometimes more obvious than others injecting an agenda into your brain

the best chinksect films are the ones that try to avoid that entirely and just have really depressing tones that reflect the reality of what most people live: commie block hellholes that are barely finished being built but stand for 40 years already, where there's no actual power in the buildings and the only jobs available are hellish factory jobs that cripple you and fill your lungs with chemicals

particularly why i enjoy The Looming Storm so much, since it shows the thirst for power in the main character, but also displays that his entire world is nothing but corruption and industrial hell that he wants to conquer and escape

Attached: vlcsnap-2021-02-22-13h16m29s144.png (1920x860, 1.56M)

*gets shot for criticizing jews on facebook*

>The film was first screened on 16 February 2018 at the 68th Berlin International Film Festival in the Forum section.[4][5][6] He was one of three young Chinese directors that were able to make it in thanks to their higher-profile Chinese producers,[13] part of a growing trend in representation for independent films at Berlinale. In light of Hu's suicide, the Q&A section of the premiere was replaced by speeches from Hu's mother and his film school teacher Wang Hongwei.

Attached: 1631226129522.jpg (1000x1408, 108.59K)

>slow depressing
Here, Then
Yougou
also there was a relly compfy one about a group of tibeteans on their pilgramage to a holy mountain, forgot the name.

Jia is an excellent director. A Touch of Sin is one of the most redpilled movies about China.
However I think Xi has lost his shit because of the wuflu. Or rather, it’s out of control because of his zero covid idea. The wuflu made China retarded. My mother who grew up in the 60s in China said it reminded her of the cultural revolution. It’s not as bad but it’s nearly as retarded. This is going to end strangely.

>Taiwan's answer to Japan's Shoplifters and south Korea's Parasite and America's Nomaland

Attached: 7DC27BD7-7FA7-4524-B67E-E841D8D251F2.jpg (399x500, 56.16K)

Taiwan gorefest The Sadness also bleak as fuck

>using fagbook

best part

Attached: 1641019181209.jpg (1280x720, 104.43K)

Commie sadcore and sadkino is a pastime of russian and chinese movies

propaganda isn't art

Attached: MV5BNjM4YjhkMjgtMDQyZS00OTQ3LTljNTUtYjI4NTIyZWEyZTkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTU5NjIwMjc@._V1_.jpg (816x1153, 122.07K)

>tfw

Attached: vlcsnap-2022-01-05-09h55m00s091.png (1280x720, 1.13M)

it got loli nude so it's good

taiwan's best films are their oldest, similar to hong kong's; i think much of the soul came from the way cinematographer's took advantage of film format and the ability to move and angle cameras within tighter spaces

Attached: vlcsnap-2022-01-03-18h20m59s621.png (1920x1024, 2.33M)

also film format meant lighting was a bit easier, since shadows roll off nicely in low light conditions, whereas in digital the sensors and lenses are made to perform very well in low light, making shadow control something that's more technical and requires equipment
>t. work in lighting in film and a major lighting autist

Attached: vlcsnap-2022-01-07-09h49m09s599.png (1920x1040, 1.86M)

Chinese state does see movies as a market and an industry
But they never relented the propaganda aspect of it.
I think they try to add entertainment into their propaganda but the controlled the message right.

any recs?

I work with Chinese and no, they are scared af for their family's right now

Can I have some Taiwan's kino? And the movies in the pictures as well

The Taiwan COVID lockdown movie

Attached: ACD3E2EE-1A14-430B-B54E-AE7FD1D85A73.jpg (269x380, 74.6K)

Based Chinese film watcher.

A City of Sadness
Millennium Mambo
Taipei Story
A Brighter Summer Day
The River
The Hole
I believe the first pic is from Rebels Of The Neon God?

>from the acclaimed director of Buddha Plus
I think the director is producing one after another

Attached: 813CA81F-494C-45E8-BDED-8579F97BAD89.jpg (1200x675, 212.04K)

Scared of what?

voldemort

>things that don't happen

You're dumb.
Artworks are things that can be read as art. But these things can also, and very often have been, made for propagandic effect.

Cause you westacucks always get the wrong idea about foreign countries due to your compromised media. Despite the fact so many say you don't trust journalists or media, you'll still believe their shit because you're all MKULTRA'd up the ass. Bunch of gay retards.

nope, enjoy your brainwash

starving and being disappeared, e.g. one told me some women in their moms apartment refused to get tested, next day she disappeared, the "care packages" e.g. food are minimal at best alomst nothing, you can order in food, but have to book a day or 2 in advance because the resurante is also only getting a specifced ration of goods, once they run out, which they do everyday, thats it, not more till tomorrow, hopefully if the gov brings them more, etc... its pretty fucked bad by the sounds of it, the viets were saying the same thing last year

I find it odd that you picked out Chinks under Muttland in the same post praising China.

Attached: 12316162132.jpg (976x850, 57.91K)

I see. Wonder why the government there is so nuts about corona. Here in America it's basically done with.

china is the most brainwashed country in existence, I mean some of you are trying to break that but your conditioning is only rivaled by the US and you still come out on top in that regard, the mindless loyalty you chinks have for your fucked up country is mental

true, Americans are actually robots

It's perfectly in line with the "homogenous = good" line of thinking

its worse then us here in melb and thats saying something since we have the record for the longest lockdown eva

When the Russian retreated from Kiev
Shanghai entered lockdown and English media stopped reporting it

But it is currently the biggest happening in Chinese media.

WHAT A LIFE