10 years since this show premiered

what improvements would you have made for the show and what criticisms do you have for its community and the content that came from it?

Attached: image_2022-04-15_085714554.png (1900x950, 2.08M)

The art and music were of TLA quality (arguably even better) but the writing was ass. I'd say Ehasz leaving was the main issue, but The Dragon Prince also sucks. I think TLA was just two one-trick-ponies (Bryke's world and ideas and Ehasz's writing) colliding at just the right time to make a masterpiece that can never be recreated by either of them.

remove the steampunk and contemporary shit. i remember watching this as a kid after being a huge avatar fan, and feeling alienated.

Also, improve the cast. Korra didn't really have someone to reel her in, and everyone was kind of complacent with her antics. Korra is allowed to be a hotheaded egotistical bumpkin, but the rest of the cast are all pushovers and never pushed back. In fact, none of them stand on their own.

Also the character design was kind of weak compared to the last airbender. They never came close to topping aang with his tattoos and shit with the avatar state. Korra looked like a background water tribe chick by comparison.

I was already in highschool when the last air bender came out so I never watched it until last year. Was surprised how enjoyable it was
Tried to watch Korra after and couldn't get into it. Stopped towards the end of season 1

Delete republic city, replace unlikable/boring characters with likable characters, plan out the series like with ATLA instead of writing each season separately

How is the dragon prince? I thought of watching it but the animation was jarring

When it comes down to it, I think what bugged me the most was how much korra got her shit pushed in. Like aang never lost fights to all but thr best benders in the entire world. Korra gets her shit heat by faceless mooks. It's obnoxious. I assume it was an effort to have her not be a Mary sue, but they just made her annoyingly incompetent instead.

Season 1 - Cut the romance juggling, did not like Korra basically stealing Mako from Asami. Amon and the ideological premise were great, should have expanded on it instead of rushing the ending in 1 episode. That was such a cheat.
Season 2 - The concept of Spirits could've stayed as a subject matter but everything else should have changed from the Avatar mythos and Raava/Vaatu retcon to Korra losing her connection to the past lives, needed to go back to the drawing board
Season 3 - Mostly fine, would just make the Kuvira setup less rabdomly sinister like that since it was poorly done and she hadn't done anything even slightly wrong by then
Season 4 - Same as Season 2 really, I liked the juggernaut mecha as the big boss to deal with but in general it needed to go back to the drawing board

the plot is basically copy-pasted from TLA but the 'bad' guys are 100% in the right
except the show never seems to acknowledge it for some reason

every thread I've seen about it here and on Yea Forums is just shipping and waifufaggotry, so that tells you why people even watch this garbage at all

i would have removed the stronk wymyn theme first and foremost.

Tumblr wasn't gonna let it happen

Attached: image_2022-04-15_091521831.png (476x436, 192.23K)

These are good points, I really dislike when somebody's criticism of the show ultimately boils down to "strong woman bad". If the other characters were better written, Korra wouldn't have been so unlikeable.

Korra's initial character was fine. I liked that she was the exact polar opposite of Aang.
She never really changed though

Korra would be canonically futanari and it would come up often.

proof?

Korra could have been good but the conditions were actively working against it. Perpetually cancelled, production issues, getting kicked off the air and put on nick.com. if Korra had been a 3-4 season story from the start with pre-planned character arcs, it would have felt a lot more like ATLA than the sloppy mess that it was.

>show has a really interesting and compelling set up with the villain
>he's a revolutionary who can take away people's bending just like aang did
>addresses a believable pain point in the world of avatar - the existence of benders creates a huge power imbalance and inequality between them and non-benders
>wants to take all bending away to create a fair and equal society
>this is especially interesting because of the hundred year perpetrated by fire benders
>how is he taking away people's bending? how can he resist blood bending? he must be an energy bender right?
>nope turns out he's just a blood bender
>also he's the secret brother of that other lame villain
>oh yeah and when he's defeated his whole ideology and following just completely disappears, as if the grievance he was trying to address was never actually an issue at all and the world is completely fine with benders having power over them
>oh but he took korra's bending away...that was cool right?
>yeah but she gets given it all back at the end so nothing mattered lol

It makes sense that she was vain and proud. It was a time of peace, so the avatar didn't really have a true role. Aang's heroics made the the avatar seem more like a celebrity. She was most likely told from a young age that she was hot shit.

I agree with you. Sure she was physically beaten, but she never really humbled for very long at least.

it wasnt steampunk, ATLA was more steampunk then this

This. I loved her 'Rar I'm the avatar!" intro. It was great to see after Aang spent his whole series so unsure of himself. And then they throw that all the window and she spends half the series failing and crying and basically never succeeds or gets stronger.

I don't like how they threw out pretty much the entire setting, magic system and mythology for no reason. That was pretty much the ENTIRE reason TLA got so big in the first place.
The way that the magic system worked, the way it had a physical, as well as a mental/spiritual aspect that were both explored and shown to us as Aang learned each element was so unique. The number of 'filler' episodes certainly helped too.

Just off the top of my head there was.
>The Waterbending scroll episode where we're introduced to the basics of waterbending
>The first Firebending episode where Aang fucks it up and learns his lesson
>The first Earthbending lesson with Toph and how Aang struggled with it due to his mindset
>Metalbending explained and discovered in a natural way
>A whole episode on bloodbending and other advanced water techniques
>A whole episode on lightning and lightning redirection and Iroh explaining the workings behind it
>All the episodes dedicated to giving us new Avatar/Avatar State lore with Roku or the Indian Guru guy
The only real exception was the Sparky-Sparky Boom Man, where it kinda worked to keep him mysterious and intimidating (and you could still make inferences based on his design, the mark on his head maybe being some Chakra bullshit, his missing limbs alluding to him possibly injuring himself before mastering his power)

Meanwhile in Korra
>we get a few Airbending lessons but Korra sucks at it, then just uses airbending out of nowhere
>Lava bending could have been learned by Bolin studying Water benders or something, instead he just learns it out of nowhere
>Unalaq can calm angry spirits with waterbending, never explained and iirc Korra learned it off-screen
>Bloodbending without a full moon for no real reason, it's just a family ability
>Bloodbending used to remove bending, never explained (again you can assume it's some chakra bullshit I guess)
>Korra gains the ability to give bending back by talking to Aang, also never explained

I agree, everyone in Korra seemed too overpowered. For example, the ability to bend lightning was done by master firebenders with the ability to clear their mind completely. However, we just see industrial workers just doing it in Korra.

I don't mind previously rare abilities becoming more common with time, but it never really felt like a natural development, and the new powers they kept introducing felt more like a superpower-of-the-week rather than something that evolved out of what we already know

It felt too much like fanservice to me.

the fanservice was mostly after season 1
season 1 was
>the setting is...le modern. bending is le work or sport

>>the setting is...le modern. bending is le work or sport
Imagine if the show was about how the modern society has detached people from the spirituality of the world. Korra's inability to understand spirutual issues is due to her being a typical Republic City urbanite, and the spirit conflict is something built up to over the seasons as Korra continually puts human issues and 'progress' over nature and living a life in balance.
Shame the creators were too bluepilled to see what they accidentally created

How accurate to the lore is Four Elements Trainer?

And was that seriously the most efficient way to generate electricity? They could be firing up boilers, then any firebender could get involved. Metal benders can spin some ferromagnets directly inside a generator, and more generally earthbenders can push a stone turbine. Water and air benders also have direct turbines they can activate. Now any bender can do it, but I feel like over a sustained period of time it still wouldn't be more efficient than a dude trying to generate electricity on a bike or treadmill (minus the firebenders using an external source of fuel).

>remove the steampunk and contemporary shit.
Showing the passage of time is good, but technology is far too advanced for the timespan. If anything tech growth should have slowed down because wars tend to accelerate technological development.

Also, I hate the idea of democratic Republican City just pops out of nowhere. It is clearly meant to b stand-in for USA, but democracy and republicanism are completely alien to the world of avatar.
Ideologies need to be rooted in something, when USA started, it wasn't even the only democracy on the planet, the Republic of Venice had existed since the 7th century, and USA itself was rebelling against a constitutional monarchy, where the king had become a figurehead.

They should have spent more time transitioning to the new setting
Rather than have the entire world become steampunk in one generation, have a ramping up Industrial Revolution taking place over the course of the story
Or better yet they should have had a third series between Last Airbender and Korra following adult Aang after the defeat of the firelord, ending the series with Aang's death and then beginning Korra

>Korra's inability to understand spirutual issues is due to her being a typical Republic City urbanite, and the spirit conflict is something built up to over the seasons as Korra continually puts human issues and 'progress' over nature and living a life in balance.
That's literally what seasons 2-4 are about

Except Korra is always in the right and the only moral to take away is that progressive neoliberal capitalism is 100% correct and anything straying away from it is evil

Republic city was too true to reality in that a major metropolitan population center was a shithole of crime, corruption, and inequality, ultimately incompatible with traditional cultural identity

>what improvements would you have made for the show
Not make it. Korra was garbage, start to end.

already done better in the original series with the fire nation like imperial japan (which wasnt just technology=untraditional)

i turned this hunk of shit off 5 minutes after i started it

>masterpiece
It's a perfectly fine kids' cartoon but come the fuck on.

>I really dislike when somebody's criticism of the show ultimately boils down to "strong woman bad".
I never actually see that, but instead I constantly see people reducing legitimate criticism into a strawman like that, like you are doing right now.

>should have expanded on it instead of rushing the ending in 1 episode. That was such a cheat.
iirc that was thanks to Nick who cut the season into half it's lenght and forced them to rush towards the end with some 3 episodes left.

>but everything else should have changed from the Avatar mythos and Raava/Vaatu retcon to Korra losing her connection to the past lives, needed to go back to the drawing board
MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY

Attached: Unalaq breaking the Avatar Cycle.webm (854x480, 2.66M)

What's happening in this webm?

bullshit

crashing the franchise, with no survivors

>heh you like a show? didn't you know it's made in a medium that American's have arbitrarily decided is exclusively for kids?

I don't really see it much anymore. It was mostly around the mid 2010s with people like E:R. The ones that came around as response to the sjw craze.

but also

Korra existed only to spoil everything the original set up

>ruined all mystery, hurr you're just possessed by a rug
>ruined the avatar line by literally destroying it
>ruined Aang by making him a shit father
>ruined bending with specialties becoming commonplace
>ruined the whole avatar training by just having everything handed to her by Aang
>stupid mechs and rug battles
>then fucked off to the spirit world after becoming a lesbian in the final episode

>people hate korra
>fucking chuds!
>meanwhile no one complains about kyoshi

I don't see any problem with anybody hating Korra, I think she is written to be unlikable. My only problem is people rooting her out as the biggest problem of the show when everything was poorly implemented.

>meanwhile no one complains about kyoshi

Like anyone actually read the comics that made her a faggotette

I wouldn't have ruined the aesthetic of the original in the first place

>every thread I've seen about it here and on Yea Forums is just shipping and waifufaggotry
So just like TLoK.

nobody ships in Korra because there aren't any memorable characters besides Tenzin

korra is that kind of character that is so attractive yet her personality is so abysmally rotten that all of my fantasies about her involve dominating and breaking her down and fixing her attitude issue, becoming a good obedient slave.
t. coomer

Attached: c12.jpg (682x953, 453.02K)

The hate this show gets comes from a very vocal minority, but I never understood it anyway. I watched both shows back to back in 2014 and Korra is just more of the same. It has a few more flaws, but is just as good as Avatar at some points, like in season 3. So yeah, I dunno. Maybe it's a nostalgiafag thing or people just having too high expectations.

Attached: vlcsnap-error070.png (720x720, 435.16K)

You’re in every korra thread, and all of your posts are the same smarmy reddit bullshit with no actual arguments and just the same reductive bullshit downplaying the real criticisms people have for your show.

Attached: D461C4D9-D926-49A5-B875-FF38DD497C01.jpg (500x500, 133.26K)

The thing that really got me was how they reused the "seemingly well meaning politician is actually evil" in literally every season, sometimes more than once.

Yes, I am. Now cope, seethe and come up with a better argument than the name of a website.

Attached: 1538855885198.png (1479x1287, 657.77K)

Not making an argument, retard.
I was making an observation.

>never comes up with any arguments himself
>yet demands them from others who merely point that out

go back to your containment subreddit retard

Attached: 699.png (600x562, 128.46K)

Exactly.

I know its a lot to ask of a kids show but Korra is one of the worst examples of having villains who are almost 100 percent right, so they have them do some retarded, extraneous thing not really related to their arguements to discredit the arguements by proxy.

That first seasons villain was right. And I mean not only was he morally right, if he'd been fully sincere then the season's end was him winning. The non benders had formed themselves into a credible military threat, the state responded by giving them more rights and representation. QED they were right to be radical and violent in pursuit of equal rights.

But of course he had to also not really mean it and just be using it all as a cover for retarded individual malice. And of course trying to get rid of bending altogether was a bad idea, but again in practice it was an excellent front goal to be negotiated down from to just equal right.