>2022
>not a single good adaptation

Why cant hollywood pull it off?

Attached: lovecraft-ff62b28b613c4df4af63fa3a828132fd[1].jpg (910x700, 65.88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0101550
youtu.be/O35p4TSKQXU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Why cant hollywood pull it off?
Not creative enough.

Color Out of Space is unironically recent Lovecraftian kino, better than The Lighthouse

Attached: 1648954461155.jpg (640x640, 246.12K)

Attached: 91VClbgHaGL._SL1500_.jpg (1064x1500, 239.5K)

also.

Attached: from beyond.jpg (214x326, 17.73K)

My guess: because what makes his writing work is his ability to use the readers imagination to generate the horror rather than putting it explicitly on the page. It’s more difficult to do this in film. Weird fiction is difficult to adapt into cinema while maintaining the same “effect”.

as fun as they are i don't think they are good adaptions

the word you're looking for is accurate. good and accurate don't mean the same thing.

Decent pseudo-adaptation: "Cast a Deadly Spell" was a made-for-HBO movie based in Lovecraftian mythos, set in 1940s era LA where magic actually works: imdb.com/title/tt0101550
There was a sequel as well (called "Witchhunt" IIRC), don't bother with that unless the first made you spurf in your drawers.

Are we posting our dream adaptations? I want At The Mountains of Madness with Jon Hamm as William Dyer, Iwan Rheon as Danforth, and Willem Dafoe as Professor Lake.

>I saw a creature too terrible to describe and then passed out! When I awoke, I found an ancestory dot com file in my hand, declaring that I was one percent welsh...

For some reason I though a cure for wellness was based on a lovecraft story

Correct, and The Endless while homely to look at paid homage to the spirit.

Why would they want to? He's not that well known and the content of his stories aren't very good. He's influential for his pioneering of fear of the unknown, which has gone on to be done better by numerous other writers.

The fact he was a huge racist probably turns them off him.

>The fact he was a huge racist probably turns them off him.
Turns me on, though.

The only good story he wrote is The Hound

True Detective s01

No

Attached: 1649285931002.png (616x910, 550.29K)

This one was pretty good.

Kneel

Attached: images.jpg (342x401, 33.91K)

What's wrong with the Stuart Gordon adaptations of Reanimator and From Beyond? They're schlock, yeah, but that's appropriate. Lovecraft's writing is schlock.

Or are you a zoomie who hasn't seen those films?

who would you cast as nigger man? i'd probably go with either jason sudekis or maybe a CGI harry dean stanton

Dagon (2001) you smelly nigger.

Attached: 1649099994898.jpg (600x650, 187.21K)

zoomer post

Hollywood can't cast niggerman

can someone name a "lovecraftian" black/white movie from recent times I saw, it was about unspeakable things in a small town outside a larger town/city, there was a professor and a woman
Maybe it was about frogs but I'm not sure

Mike Myers doing a blackface version of his Cat In The Hat.

This movie inspired RE4

sunless seas is an extremely great lovecratian inspired game
highly recommended to anyone who doesnt mind reading and loves exploration

and he points at trannys in the street screaming "its a man, baby!" in the austin powers voice but no one can hear it except for lovecraft. kind of like the cat from sabrina the teenage witch. hijinks ensue. now THAT'S a movie.

They don't actually understand the esoteric existentialism he's metaphorising.

oh and dont bother with sunless skies, the writing quality dropped like 70% and they focused more on some shitty tumblr companion romances like dragon age games
but gameplay is still nice

Someone please post Lovecraft and his cat doing the reddit basedlord pointing at cthulu

Writers name their cats gay shit now

>fear of the unknown, which has gone on to be done better by numerous other writers
Who?

Based user, that was an amazing game

Whenever people talk about Lovecraft adaptations they mean his cosmic horror mythos stuff, not his standalone monster/creature pulp stuff

Color out of Space was good. Pretty freaky too.

youtu.be/O35p4TSKQXU

shit is dope as fuck.

>He's not that well known

Are you retarded? He's as well known as Google. His name is an adjective.

R.L. Stine with his magnum opus "The Horror at Camp Jellyjam."

Call of Cthulhu dark corners of the earth
Can't be topped

The Ninth Gate has Lovecraftian undertones. So does Evil Dead.

>his horror is effective because he lets your imagination fill in the blanks
>twitter/reddit found out he was a hecking racist (he was actually fairly progressive for the time but can't let the zoomies know the world wasn't always a globohomo dystopia) when after twenty years of loving le hecking octopuss man one of them actually read something by him and saw the nigger word. Now most people who make something from his work a deranged cultists trying to piss on his grave.

The reddit can't help reveal himself, nor can he help revealing his lack of intelligence.

>they mean his cosmic horror mythos stuff, not his standalone monster/creature pulp stuff

They are one and the same. The mythos stories always involve monsters at some point. Call of Cthulhu, Shadow Over Innsmouth, etc. They all eventually become creature features.

Pic Related is the best Lovecraft movie, and it isn't even based on his work.

Attached: MV5BYjNkMWVkYTUtYzUwZi00ZWI1LTg3MzktZjVkNDQxZjFhOTY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg (1000x1500, 209.2K)

>blocks your path

Attached: idris-elba-2-1.jpg (1000x690, 69.94K)

horror is not meant to scare you.

When something is good and popular but not a decent movie was made off, you know something is off. So ask the question:
>how Lovecraft offends the jew
And you will know why they never made a good movie based on his books, just ripoffs and "homages".

Attached: 1648082493985.webm (352x624, 1.85M)

Attached: 1649288341611.jpg (506x400, 45.47K)

based

Attached: 1.png (909x720, 1.02M)

*is kino in your path*

Attached: farbe2.jpg (454x288, 25.82K)

Lovecraft is wholly incompatible with 2020's Hollywood because Lovecraft's central theme is that foreign and ethnically mixed things are evil abominations, while Hollywood's thesis is that those same things are objects of worship.

Hence why Mel Gibson is still allowed in Hollywood and even made extremely well received movies like Hacksaw Ridge, right? Dipshit /pol/tard.

The Ressurected (1992)

Attached: Resurrected-4.jpg (717x403, 59.89K)

>Lovecraft's central theme is that foreign and ethnically mixed things are evil abominations
>Why yes, I post on reddit every day, how could you tell?

>no good Clark Ashton Smith adaptations

Shame, really.

It's not /pol/, is reality. Hollywood is a bunch of spoiled american jews running shit like their parents still paying their bills, and a lot of times they do. Mel still has a lot of friends, a big name and lot of talent so he can still pull something every decade, but you see all of this is because of ONE movie, that maybe told a true story that make jews look bad. If not for Passion he would still be loved. So again, ask yourself how Lovecraft offends the rich kid jew, and you will find why there are no movies, specially big movies, to his name.

Also just for you to know, Hollywood jews are a totally separated race from the rest of jews in the world. Israeli jew, NY jew and Hollywood jew, those fuckers are insane and even other jews despise them and their bullshit.

They literally made a color out of space movie a couple years ago