/film/

Thread for the discussion of arthouse films and classic cinema.

>/film/ literature
mega.nz/folder/OVIDlQTJ#7L4e8TGqNnbJEFqQzaf8lw
>/film/ charts
mega.nz/folder/DtpiBSjT#PFN4YVpwqQRDL7r2_ZKXUw
>/film/ directors directory
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qgdYsMPAaFWrAa_7EHLpXqpOHLaDLmytM9wJ5nhGtqs/edit?usp=sharing
>but user, how do I make webms with MPV?
github.com/ekisu/mpv-webm

Previous thread:

Attached: alice-jan-svankmajer[1].jpg (1439x1080, 338.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MFpZNicfhyE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I thought /film/ was back.... :(

Why did capeshit win?
Is it the jews?

A few threads ago, some of you were shitting on Robert Eggers and saying that his films were "secretly capshit" or something like that. What's wrong with him and what does it mean when a non-capeshit film is "secretly capeshit?"

Threads are dying because all the Sono Chads committed seppuku after the rape accusations

They're not secretly capeshit, they're obviously dogshit

That doesn't answer my questions

>What's wrong with him
He makes dogshit

>what does it mean when a non-capeshit film is "secretly capeshit?"
It means it’s really dogshit

How are The Witch and The Lighthouse dogshit?

Sono rape

He and Takashi Miike did in fact rape the japanese cinema to the point it still can't recover properly
Enemies of cinema

bump

>The Witch
ugly cinematography, bad dialogue and accents, annoying characters, meme ending about muh feminism, obvious ripoff of Dreyer and Bergman for capeshit audience.

>The Lighthouse
Marvel quips, Meme B/W, Obvious metaphor for toxic masculinity, surface level literary references, Capeshit over-acting and funny voices to entertain Marvel fanboys who stumbled into a lower-budget film

You just had to post that picture on this site didn't you?

...we need a discord

What's wrong with it?
>over-acting
Why criticize acting because it's good?

>relating even the most non-capeshit movies to cape shit

You're obsessed

Lets see.
>meme casting
>"Willem Dafoe is so over the top and spooky! He hould be the jOker!"
>"Robert Pattinson is just like me! He should be Batman!"
>style over substance
>revolves around memes and quips that audience repeat like clapping seals

The Northman
>slow motion ultraviolence
>tons of screaming
>capeshit revenge plot
>blood, guts, and violence, like Zack Snyder films

It is not that he is capeshit. It is that his fans are outraged about this fact.

Why you being faggot ass gatekeepers huh? If somebody enjoys it, let them enjoy it.

Excuse me. We are trying to curate the canon here. I work in the theater and take the arts with a certain seriousness and respect. I am a tenured professor in cinema. Have you curated a Jean Renoir marathon and went through the pain in the ass acquiring 35mm film prints decades old, dealing with private collectors? Because that's what I did one month ago. Afterward we led a discussion in the back room while there was a line out the door to see Spider Man. The last thing I want is some jackass coming through reddit called the second coming filmmaker because he ripped off Bergman and Tarr. That's populism not art. That's the capeshit testing ground mining the canon for new capitalist aesthetics to exploit. Eggers is not /film/. Reddit is that way with the other capeshit. Now get lost.

Attached: 35CBB41A-7EF1-4B1C-8D00-78E28248BE5C.jpg (1280x720, 66.94K)

I read some twitter threads today from professors at film programs or just general elective 'into to film' classes and the incoming freshman's vast favorite movie is Inception or worse all marvel and disney. I think for one in our youth television was the great inscriber of cultural history that defined a cultural lexicon of references. If you didn't see the sources you at least knew of them.

Nowadays streaming services model is based on the effervescent infinite now, there is now past because there is no history, it is a commodified product and their libraries reflect this. There's no media literacy, curation or appreciation it's all spectacle. Watching anything before 2005 for them is as painful as a silent film used to be for a casual viewer - "like reading a book".

I like him more now

/film/ is always just a containment thread for Yea Forumsfags talking about slant eyed directors cause of muh honor culture and sexy cartoon girls.

Why is Hollywood trying to frame him? They already sabotaged Ghostland, it seems like they are out for blood.

Attached: artworks-000386105508-kmt1yn-t500x500[1].jpg (500x500, 61.24K)

> gatekeepers
That's a normie word.

Attached: 1643048018281.webm (410x720, 2.85M)

Soros said wokeism is the greatest export in the US. Japan is basically a bitch for the west. It makes sense metoo would be exported. Watch for it in india next. It is the perfect foothold for wokeism at large because it's universally scandalous.

because everyone can agree that rape=bad, right. but that slippery slope lets you start to throw in all kinds of pilpul going straight into leftist NWO takeover

very uninformed take. just look up feminism in South Korea for instance

prisoners of the ghostland was so bad

imagine being a poltard who loves sono... angry position to be in right now...
couple threads ago there was an idiot talking about how "toxic" spike lee's films are. that was the view parroted by every white pleb back in the early '90s. and then guess what happened? the sopranos managed to totally 100% debunk all their arguments. because they showed italian stereotypes in even more comical and unflattering ways... white people ate it up. it was only when a black director was doing those jokes that it was so offensive and beyond the pale

some day summer of sam will be recognized for the masterpiece that it is

Thoughts on Andrew Dominik?

Stop lying. Next you're gonna say Sion Sono raped you.

it was really boring once you got past the fancy set design

he

>your favorite piece of shit movie gets BTFO
>G-Gatekeepers!!!
Absolutely pathetic, just like his films.

This is a thread for the discussion of arthouse films and classic cinema. His dogshit movies are neither.

fucking masterpiece

Attached: large_9jCIVAHdlOspeutt6v232LpXjrr.jpg (400x605, 111.88K)

ToT

great cover

The Northman is gonna be awesome

Attached: FF1E8059-CCFF-4956-A39B-F159212DD26E.jpg (1080x1110, 99.53K)

I’d open her umbrella if you catch my drift

"rape"

>getting filtered hard by The Witch
Eggers is above you, just so you know

>he fails to realize that dinosaurs are the prominent example of ontology being determined by epistemology
>he fails to realize that fossils appeared exactly when the theories they are integral to become popular
>he fails to realize that spinosaurus is the first dinosaur as dialectic itself
>he fails to realize that the film even falls short of depicting it as a specialized theropod killer in that its narrow head could have been used for grabbing other theropod's forelimbs such that they could not bite its head and neck and its sail to aid in wresting other theropods on the ground and prevent them from mounting it
>he fails to realize that the choreography of it defeating tyrannosaurus by brute force is ideological prophylaxis against this monstrosity that is the "empirical" spinosaurus
>he fails to realize that tyrannosaurus' arms may have been so small precisely as an adaptation against such predatory tactics making it the "odd" theropod they purport spinosaurus to be
>he fails to realize that the crocodilian phantom (fasolasuchus etc.) has been the dinosaur's dinosaurs all along and "crocodilizing" spinosaurus is an attempt at putting this phantom in the relative innocuous medium of the theropod for the purposes of ritually banishing this awful parallelism

Many such cases.

Attached: 1520648025332.jpg (300x168, 8.56K)

>actually thinking The Witch is even remotely close to being a passable “movie”
This entire thread is above you, just so you know

What does /film/ think of Terrence Malick?

I like Badlands. Probably his purest film.
I'm sorry you're filtered by kino.

Attached: 1640041860798.png (1280x960, 2.14M)

Why does he look like such a faggot?

t. Filtered

streaming services make media bassed off of google adsense and analytics.
people wath this shit becuase they are marketed to harder than ever before.
i mean some sadists will sleep in an itchy wool blanket for the expierence and bragging rights. but most people are fine being cozy in a down comforter.

I both love him, and despise his arrogance. He has a way of capturing certain emotions that are poetic. But he often overdoes it, and it becomes meaningless. He is massively overrated by his fans.

Malick is best when he is subtle. A Hidden Life shows him at his best, and at his worst at once. It is a very frustrating film. All the Nazis in it are ranting, raving caricatures. It is a Trump parable meaning it is delusional hysteria. They were the ones who were mobilizing to come after the non-compliant nearly a year later. Somehow I do not think Malick will make a film about that.

Attached: 1642644112075.png (1148x917, 686.47K)

don't you mean "what is film's opinion of PTA?"

What are some film characters that you share a lot in common?

Attached: 24543545.jpg (1611x780, 624.17K)

based. dont listen to the fucking idiots replying

??

name me a better scene than this:
youtube.com/watch?v=MFpZNicfhyE
dude is the modern day Stanley Kubrick

>don't you mean "what is film's opinion of PTA?"

Attached: satisfiedchud.jpg (640x734, 31.95K)

Currently working on the next Polanski. He's an angry old man but damn he's good.

I was prepared to hate it but it's actually pretty impressive artistic filmmaking.

I mean there is a reason everyone is willing to sacrifice their reputation by supporting a literal child molestor. He has to be that good.