The early 90s weren’t ready for a satirical masterpiece like this

The early 90s weren’t ready for a satirical masterpiece like this.

Attached: F95C2781-22F5-4A16-8F62-0E119B84C6AE.jpg (1256x1500, 322.44K)

What is it about the 90's that produced so much damn kino?

it filtered idiots like Doug Walker

Good coke, good economy, good music, good weather.

I was like 10 when this came out and I unironically loved it. I was too young to get all the references and satire, I thought it was just a badass movie.

Me too, of course it wasn't as cool as Terminator but the self-conscious aspect of it was novel to me and it set out to make a movie about an action movie character and it delivered, I still don't get why people hated it, nothing was "subversive" or bad, everyone always laughs at the Simpson satire but then they don't like it when others do it it seems.

same.

i think that some people didn't like feeling like some movie they made was just made fun of...i'm also pretty sure the industry had it out for mctiernan by then

take his shoes?

> The psychology and marketing of turning people into zealous consumers hadn't been perfected so they still made what they thought people would like.
> West was still considered white so they could focus mostly on making things, racial marketing wasn't as much of a thing
> The foreign markets wasn't the mandatory focus it is now, dialogue is actually simplified, if you can imagine that
> Last but not least, no internet, social media didn't ruin things and people weren't as saturated in media so a film was a bigger deal

charles dance's character is one of the best villains ever. i was genuinely scared by him as a 9 year old

I remember jamming that soundtrack the whole summer when the movie came out.

>Charles Dance was in it
BASED

Attached: tyLan.jpg (888x499, 105.2K)

This movie came out a week after Jurassic Park. It was DOA.

THIS IS NOW A SPACE TRUCKERS THREAD

Attached: cdst.jpg (1280x720, 69.57K)

Attached: wooaahhh.webm (1280x720, 154.74K)

yet another stark reminder of how bad things have really gotten
>ywn wake up and go see a double feature of jurassic park and last action hero

Attached: 180 you stupid spahgetti slurping cretin 180 If I did a 360 Id go completely around and end up back where I started - What - Trust me.webm (1210x504, 2.54M)

Attached: dfgdfg.webm (1280x720, 1.37M)

lol this movie had soul

The movie only failed because Arnold thought he could compete with Jurassic Park.

Attached: vengeanceIs.webm (1280x540, 590.83K)

I like how Charles Dance starts to break the 4th wall and starts talking to the audience when he finds out he's in a movie.
>"Trust me"
>shoots him
top kek

Attached: omgthatsthats.webm (1280x720, 1.72M)

I fucking love Last Action Hero and cannot understand any of the hate it gets. The only bad thing I can say about it is the opticals are pretty trash. I didn't make a webm of it, but when he falls out of the elevator after Leo the Fart's funeral always stands out to me.

Attached: SLAAAAAAAATER.webm (1392x580, 2.79M)

I wasn’t old enough to know. Was the adverse reaction to the movie because Schwarzenegger was poking fun at himself and his past films?

Attached: Just one gun Jack, you gotta be kidding.webm (1382x576, 2.99M)

I think a lot of 90's era Arnold (aside from total Recall and Judgement Day) weren't well received by audiences because that was when Arnold was in his comedy phase.

This movie is great and I feel like it's the definitive NPC filter.

>"if god was a villain, he'd be me"
based beyond fathomable measure

the critics were getting tired of arnie and were looking for any chance to take him down. the industry at that time was taking itself very seriously and other studios were butthurt that LAH had the nerve to call out their tropes. Finally, it was impossible to review, because it was an intentionally bad kids movie with cheesy f/x.

The first half was pretty meh but the last half really shines.

also you can see the camera crew reflection in the windows in that scene, this was 100% intentional

>it is his best performance ever
I love this movie so much you wouldn't believe

Attached: file.png (1858x780, 1.97M)

Who didn't want this as a feature length movie?

Attached: First Action Hero.webm (600x250, 2.73M)

I disagree. He's so great in concept but keeps LOSING. Keeps getting beaten down by EVERYONE. His boss, this girl, this kid, etc etc. keeps running away. He's not badass or tough enough. They needed to correct him to be more powerful and undefeatable.
I think he could be one of the greatest villains but when I rewatched it, he's honestly so cowardly.

>"Hello I just shot a man and I did it on purpose"
Top kek

>omg he's going to the Galleria

i was 13 when this came out and loved it and got all the references and satire

why does that kid recognize sharon stone from that sex movie lol

An interesting point.

Attached: Gee did you make a movie mistake You forgot to reload the damn gun -- No Jack I just left one chamber empty.webm (1728x720, 2.55M)

Why wouldn't he, the movie was probably even more popular for kids that age

Attached: woman-winking.jpg (600x400, 115.22K)

>geez Alec, did you just make a movie mistake?

I will say, in the last half, he gets infinitely better, but he's already a ruined character because in the first half he just takes losses. He's ALMOST memorable and could have been so much cooler with some fixing.
Maybe I'm a brainlet and having him NOT be intimidating is part of the satire.

what a badass gun. i want one

Attached: Last Action Hero Benedict gun.jpg (900x581, 31.32K)

if you had a magic movie ticket, how would you use it? which movies would you enter? and what characters would you bring into the real world?

unironically a masterpiece, I always bait faggots with Last Action hero, if the tard says that he doesn't like it I simply kick him, you need to be a raped fag who likes Doug walker to hate this great movie

deepthroat (1972) probably

for me i would go into last action hero and bring the kid into the real world, really fuck with him you know

Transformers 2 unironically
>being able to fuck prime Megan Fox
>saving the world with the Autobots in the most amazing fights ever fucking made in fiction

bring gold and shit, or live in a comfy movie

>Maybe I'm a brainlet and having him NOT be intimidating is part of the satire.

I rewrote my last post like 12 times, the first one as something along those lines. It is a movie of satire, parody, and tongue-in-cheek. Personally, I never really felt like Benedict was weak. His failings are usually a result of incompetency around him while he is usually successful. The only real standout lose I can specifically remember is when he gets flipped in the chair by Danny. Maybe he escapes leaving a little dignity, but he gets his revenge and always has the best lines.

Arguably he only suffers because he's against Arnold playing Arnold as Jack Slater, larger the life super action hero guy. Not even a cyborg Adolf Stalin 6400 from Krypton could stand a chance against that.

Attached: You want to be a farmer Heres a couple of acres.webm (1728x720, 2.87M)

>I SAID, I’ve just killed a man in cold blood!
>Hey, shuddup down theah!

Nowadays Ryan Reynolds would star in it, wouldn't he?

>live in a comfy movie
such as? i like the idea but cant think of any i would live in off the top of my head, i like the bring stuff back idea too, i would bring back some alien eggs, maybe some gremlins too, also a delorean

yea and the kid would be a sassy brown girl

I’d probably use the ticket for some sci-if movie and instantly regret it.

Correct. But opening opposite Jurassic fucking Park probably didn't help.

The notebook but send my letters UPS.

correct, but if only they had that hindsight at the time.

Hmmm, yes, there is incompetency around him but I felt some of it was his own fault.
And of course, it is a satire/parody, so he's not meant to be a real threat for the audience. but to a degree, he IS.
I don't know. I legit went into it because I had seen pieces of Dance playing the characters and I expected somethign cooler. I do think the movie is good overall, with the last parts being VERY strong. I'd just make Dance's character a bit more indimidating. Because I felt while he WAS pulled down by idiots, I recall him taking L's too often. Ah wahtever.

Free Guy has certainly some similarities.

you were a kid

It was just the Ready Player One of the early 1990s. It's a shit film and being self aware only makes it worse.