DUNE SPOILERS

>you realise that Dune Part 2 will end with the duel between Paul and Feyd like Part 1 ending in the duel between Paul and Jamis
>you then realise Dune Messiah will end with Paul walking into the desert like in Part 1
Like pottery it rhymes
Bravo Villeneuve

Attached: dune.jpg (1200x799, 50.31K)

If I was a jew I'd tell Denny to fuck off and pull my money

Was this actually a decent adaptation, or just dumb action schlock with a Dune skin?

>dumb action schlock with a Dune skin
Read the books and then watch all of the films.

The new one looks good but doesn't bother with any of the political stuff and is Dunc in name only.

I've read Dune through God-Emperor, haven't seen any of the films though.

It's not an action film. I think it's a reasonable adaptation of the first half of Dune, but obviously any film adaptation will be missing something.

The banquet scene is missing. I think the story doesn't work without it. It's too integral to the plot to have cut it. The actions good though but the banquet scene not being included ruins it.
Maybe they did film it and then will release it one day but of all the things to cut, that isn't what i would have cut.

QRD on it?

Honestly don't know how they're going to do Messiah without changing nearly all of it - it's a good book but there's barely any action at all and the only visually exciting thing that happens is the stone burner.
It just wouldn't make for a satisfying end to a cinematic trilogy at all other than the last half hour.

It's a decent adaptation with some minor qualms like the use of lasguns. That said, the major problem is that it ends halfway in an unsatisfying way.
Yes, there is no feasible way to adapt the whole book into a single film, but it did not need to end at this point. The funeral and 'I was a friend of Jamis' would have been a far more satisfying end point.
Most of the complaints you see are about the cut scenes, but there was no way Villeneuve could have included them in a theatrical cut; although he has ruled out 'director's cuts', I do maintain some hope he will release an 'extended cut' someday. Nonetheless, it is a decent adaptation.

>DUNE
pretentious bs

It's a scene where every character is subtly talking and disagreeing with each since they all have their own motives for what they want out of Arrakis and have their own schemes already in place and in motion. It shows how the Atreides are already in the trap and hints at how Arrakis is being changed/how the Fremen operate and what they are doing and leads Keynes to trust the Atriedes and Paul since Paul is asking about the ecology of dune and the water cycle. It also shows how the Duke is already making plans for an escape and to manage the situation by hiring smugglers to get them out quickly if an attack happens.

It's the one scene where If I were to sum up Dune, I would point to that and say it's that. It works extremely well in the book.
>barely any action at all
That's a good thing. Maybe we will get more kino talking scenes out of it.

>he has ruled out 'director's cuts'
I don't really understand why either, given it underperformed at the box office partly because of Covid - surely you'd want to milk the home release

I've seen this movie three times. A few months after each viewing, I say to myself "It wasn't that good, it was a pretty mediocre adaptation actually, and the soundtrack does all the heavy lifting."

But then I see it again and I have an almost religious experience and I'm a fan again.... and then a few months go by and my attitude sours. I guess I'll just have to keep watching this movie twice a year for the rest of my life.

>That's a good thing. Maybe we will get more kino talking scenes out of it.
Implying the studio would ever let the climax of a blockbuster sci fi trilogy just end in a load of talking for three hours and no action

All I want to know is does Paul fuck his hot mom?

If they want action films, why make Dune? I don't really get what the jews at hollywood are thinking when they complain about the source material "dude it's like boring and full of politics and we can't adapt that" Yeah so go and make sci fi action instead of half assing Dune.

>you realise that Dune Part 2 will end with the duel between Paul and Feyd like Part 1 ending in the duel between Paul and Jamis
what you mean like how the fucking book ends?

Yeah but the way they cut the film in two means that it's pottery now and therefore kino.

>If they want action films, why make Dune
There's lots of action and adventure in the first book, probably at least half of it - it's only Messiah and God Emperor where it's mostly philosophical/political.
I think Dune works fine as a two-part action/adventure blockbuster, it's why i'm surprised Villeneuve says he plans to do Messiah as well as it's a big tonal shift and more like an epilogue.

Messiah is best of all of the books. I trust Villeneuve could adapt it successfully.

>religious experience

Attached: dune_spiderman.jpg (680x651, 338.03K)

She fucks him

man I hope. She was my favorite part of the movie

It's good for very different reasons to the first book though, and doesn't fit well as part of a cinematic trilogy without being heavily adapted - it would be weird for the second film in a trilogy to have the biggest climax and battle, I just can't see the studio allowing that

sweat.png

Attached: dr sleep.webm (1000x800, 2.99M)

Dun was always a space opera, it was never an action oriented series. People hear about the Weirding and that combat is focused on close quarters melee and think Dune is an action series

Based

She's not even in Messiah, barely even referenced, so they'll presumably have to write her back in

If you worry about something being weird and unappealing to the general public why even adapt Dune

Honestly the blandest clusterfuck I've ever witnessed. It's like if Dark Knight wasn't hilarious.

>Dune was always a space opera
>98% takes place on a single planet with no space at all
No

Because it's a widely known and renowned IP and can make you mad $$$

>It works extremely well in the book.

Until Herbert reveals his hand which amounts to STEP BACK OR I'LL BLOW SHIT UP!

Most of the retarded plot elements in Dune are his fault. Especially the pew pew Chernobyl stuff. Fremen are fascinately boring peoples and their uber-commando side is completely nonsensical, Herbert confuses fanaticism with competence.

latter
t. book reader of the 6 books

kill yourselves shills

Part 2 won't be Messiah.

>Herbert confuses fanaticism with competence.
No, he's an ecologist - the whole point is they're better adapted to Arrakis than their enemy, It's not about competence, it's a mixture of the Fremen actually being able to live off the land mostly - the fanaticism is just the binding force that pushes them forwards

Who thinks Part 2 would be Messiah? There's half of Dune left unadapted and Villeneuve himself said that he would like to adapt Dune as a trilogy with Messiah as the third and final part.
The rest would be left to other directors or as miniseries.

Them being adapted to Arrakis doesn't really play a part in them wiping off Sardaukar with ease, it's not a protracted war.

its the truest to the book in terms of plot, setting, technology, characterizations, etc, the discrete aspects (though it does omit more than the miniseries, unsurprisingly)
it does sort of suck the life and soul out of the story though, the tone and art and sense of wonder just doesn't match the feel of the book, its like the film autistically follows a cliffnotes of the book rather than consulting the book itself

>>you realise that Dune Part 2 will end with the duel between Paul and Feyd
Since that's essentially the book ends... Yeah? Paul wins, Chani starts crying and tells Paul that she'll leave so he can marry Irulan in peace, he says she isn't going anywhere and to help negotiate terms with his mother against the Corrinos, and then his mom tells Chani that history will remember the concubines as the wives.

its a very engrossing and one of the best written chapters in the book (which stands out because Dune is honestly not that well written prose-wise, herbert clearly learned a lot because Messiah is much better written)
its importance is woefully overstated and it mostly just establishes a few minor characters that the movie didn't even include, and reiterate how the emperor and other parties are collectively scheming against the atreides

I don't really remember if the Sardaukar are still around by the time the Fremen actually rally behind Paul - I only remember them wiping the floor with the Atreides forces at the start, then presumably leaving once the Harkonnens were back in control, given they were only hired. Big Vlad says the invasion cost him a fuckton, so I doubt he'd hire Sardaukar for more than the initial attack.
So the majority of the actual fighting with Fremen would have been after they had left again and it was just Harkonnen soldiers.
Only time I'd expect them to be back on Arrakis would be right at the end with the Emperor, but I wouldn't really expect them to be able to defend a single position from several giant sandworms, a massive dust storm, and atomics

What a cool villain, i cant wait for his confrontation with paul in the next movie, I bet this character will have a really satisfying ending!

Attached: file.png (640x481, 259.06K)

It's not an action film. It's actually kind of boring and everyone acts autistic except Momoa and Isaac. Maybe the second one will be better, but this one as a standalone movie was nothing special.

I read the books and WHO THE FUCK IS JAMIS

I recall them mentioning the Sardaukar wanting to do pograms against the Fremen, but I don't think the Emperor allowed it.

>WHO THE FUCK IS JAMIS
The guy who gets mad that Paul chucked him when they first encountered the Fremen troop, so he demands a religious test of Jessica, that a champion fight for her. So Paul kills him and earns his place in the tribe.

>Who thinks Part 2 would be Messiah
if you follow the reply chain, you'd see it was the guy that replied to the post 'does paul fuck his hot mom' with the response
>She's not even in Messiah
i assume this was a misread or momentary lapse of intelligence on his part, but you should learn how replies work on this site before posting

fufufufufufufufufufufufufufu

Attached: 23623.jpg (783x716, 68.87K)

>god i love my cart
>time to day dream about my infinite past orgies
>god i miss having a dick, but man my arms are cool
>where the fuck is Duncan
>seriously WHERE THE FUCK IS DUNCAN
>dear god a 10/10 pure azn waifu genetically modified just for me
>hmm guess im at the part where i suffer for eternity, great

>its importance is woefully overstated
I'd say it's relatively central, establishing why Kynes would help them at all.

Ooooh holy shit that's where they ended it?

they are sent to a fremen village to kidnap chani and end up killing paul's first kid while paul and his fedaykin are out raiding in Dune
they still existing during the children of dune, house corrino is allowed like one battalion of them on selusa secundis or something after their deposition as emperor. they are involved in the assassination attempt on Paul's surviving children

Feyd doesn't exist in this movie you fucking faggot. It's rabban.

They change some stuff, that I liked actually, having Paul have visions where Jamis became a mentor. Instead Jamis taught him the brutality of Fremen existence in their duel. But yeah the movie essentially ends right after they fight.

GREAT GODS BELOW HE HAS CAUGHT ME NAPPING. He has the lasgun in his hand and it is pointing at my face!

And by killing him, Paul tragically loses a bit of his humanity and takes his first step toward becoming the Kwizatz Hadderach, and the dreaded tyrant of a new imperium.

>truest to the book in terms of plot, setting, technology, characterizations
this is just bait at this point

you mean dunc?

am i the only one that saw that fucking weird incest scene in the movie when they are undressing?

>speaks in french incomprehensibly