Isekai before it was cool

>Isekai before it was cool

Attached: D32A5F18-57D2-4B91-A68A-E4048D1D2C8F.jpg (1000x1372, 166.67K)

I want the rest of the trilogy, fuck you Disney.

When it came out I was rewatching this daily and really really liked it
Was shocked when found out it was universally panned

Seems like they spent too much money making it

It needed practical effects to elevate it above its 80 years of derivatives.

It was good. Why did it flunked though

Fun movie

horrible marketing, I remember seeing the ads when it came out, had no idea what it was about and the trailers made it look stupid. I didn't realize till years later when I watched it that I was wrong

this and prince of persia deserved their franchise trilogies......

This, I remember at the time thinking the trailers were hyping this up as if I was supposed to know who John Carter was and I just didn't. Year later when I watched the movie I actually enjoyed it though

I didn't go to see it because the name was stupid af, especially outside of America.
Anything with the protagonist's name as a title, like "Jack Reacher", sounds like a generic low effort action flick.
They should have called it "John Carter : the Lost Planet" or something.

>the trailers were hyping this up as if I was supposed to know who John Carter was
always wondered if this was intentional and they just overestimed recognition with younger audiences, or if it was just an accidental misstep

Sabotaged by stupid feminist ridiculousness that was totally unnecessary. They turned the princess into a joke character that can't even be taken seriously.

I liked it.

Marketers believe anything with the word Mars in the title is cursed so they just cut that part off.

Because "character's name as a title" doesn't automatically scream generic and cheap, amirite?

the ending shows that the title was actually John Carter of Mars, it was supposed to be a surprise

this tanking, steaming shitpile and "forgettoland" took TR3N from us.
Pixar directors can't into live action.

Attached: ohwell.jpg (900x881, 94.89K)

it's better than TR00N though

It's really weird for me that they didn't go with the original title. 'A Princess of Mars' sounds so much better than some generic name.

>Confederate soldier
OH NO NO THAT'S NOT OKAY

It came out prior to 2015 when the media decided confederates were cancelled

they should have called it MARSATAR: A NEW WAY TO FUCK ALIEN ANIMALS WITH YOUR DICK HEAD

Tron Legacy was so promising and then it shat the bed in the second half, forgetting its own plot, going full retard and missing an entire second movie.

iirc it's was at least fine because it's the lazy earlier expression is feminism in movies where it's like "see! A woman can be cool to and keep up with the awesome male MC!" and then it would go back to her pining over the Chad male MC who is obviously better at everything for the rest of the movie and is the rightful hero. It was annoying but I'd take a million examples of that over the cancer we have today with 120 pound women overpowering 200 pound 6'4" brick shithouse men who could rip them in half IRL

To Hollywood executives, Princess implies girl movie and Mars is box office poison. Safer to just make it "Generic Character Name" and force Andrew Stanton to play it off as "Well he only becomes John Carter of Mars at the end of the movie"

>story about Mars
>don't put Mars in the title

Attached: Rome Season 3.jpg (1746x730, 145.79K)

I really enjoyed this movie even though my friend kept fast forwarding through it... Seems a bit long, I guess but the effects were kino

>my friend kept fast forwarding through it
shit friend, would seethe

Attached: apu.jpg (600x439, 23.49K)

>the trailers were hyping this up as if I was supposed to know who John Carter was and I just didn't.
I felt exactly the same, as a result I din't WANT to watch it because I thought I wouldn't get it. Really bad marketing.
I enjoyed it in the end, but years after.

I was beyond hyped for the continuation of the series. The changes they made from the books actually improved the set-up for sequels and tied things together a bit better than they originally were.
Legit adventure film that got robbed.

this. i also think disney purposely tanked this movie for insurance/money laundering/etc.

It was an okay movie. It probably should've been 2 movies, and the title should have been John Carter and the Princes of Mars. Along with all the females being near naked (but since it's disney they wanted to get away from the 'slave' leia look).

>You can sleep with us tonight user, you are too drunk to drive back to your place.

fucking tiktok attention span zoomers

>I was rewatching this daily
so what type of mental retardation do you have? were you diagnosed at birth or some time after?

because at the time, every movie with "mars" in the title had bombed.

>with all the females being near naked
that would still be more clothing than they had in the books.

Wouldn't "the Martian" count?

sure, if you could time travel.

DID I NOT TELL YOU HE COULD BUMP!

Attached: John Carter (2012) [1080p x265 HEVC 10bit BluRay AAC 7.1] [Prof].mkv_snapshot_00.47.45.904.jpg (1920x1080, 198.77K)

The princess was too covered. It deserved its failure.

Still better than expected from a Disney production.

Attached: B3dWClsCQAAj3PV.png (598x442, 589.99K)

I know. She's a babe and deserved to star in more movies

Dis they bomb because they had the word Mars in their titles? Surely not

>Caesar
>antony

>tfw Tars Tarkas posting isn’t a thing

>Isekai before it was cool
what's the oldest Isekai? Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? Alice in Wonderland?

doesn't matter. the word was tainted.

Fine, do "Adventures of John Carter" or something, anything that evokes fantasy/sci-fi action FFS.

it wouldn't have mattered what the movie was called, it was awful.

If a movie has a name like that it is power fantasy for boomers. Imagine an incel and their harem anime, same thing.

tarzan goes to mars is the seminal work of escapist power fantasy.

Should've just been John Carter and the Princess of Mars

Even that movie about a kid who gets in a book or Alice in Wonderland is Isekai.

I watched it in the cinemas when it came out and I thought it was okay but definitely went on for too long.

I really loved it until I ready the books. Then couldn't enjoy the film anymore until several years later

Based White Man John Carter and the Naked Brown Harems of Mars

I wish Tarkas posting was a thing
Maybe we should force it

I need to rewatch the movie this weekend first so I can get more phrases to use though,.it's been a while

Would love to see it. I'm due a rewatch soon myself.

Posca and Atia were in this also. I don’t know why so many ended up in John Carter but I’m not complaining. When I saw Hinds and Purefoy on screen together I was shocked and happy.

I saw it for the first time yesterday. 6/10 but enjoyable film. Good concept/premise

I think the CGI holds up incredibly well

speaking of live-action pre-sekai, i've just started watching John Simm of Mars

Attached: Life_on_Mars_TV_Series-507728231-large.jpg (856x1200, 133.22K)

Exactly this

Based patrician kinoenjoyer, i loved this movie too