Rewatched this recently and it was much worse than i remembered, actually a subpar movie

Rewatched this recently and it was much worse than i remembered, actually a subpar movie

Attached: de0fecae39a242239fd323445d494de8e4b89dfea1dafa3fb6d5f3d861eb7e2a._RI_V_TTW_.jpg (1200x1600, 765.06K)

Scorsese's Nolan phase, glad he returned to kino but the man has made so many movies he's bound to fuck with the formula at some point

what did you dislike about it?

I think it’s just one of those movies that are only good the first watch

so you have nothing to share? you can't even state your reasoning on why you liked or didnt like something? you just posted on tv to say I DONT LIKE THIS and leave? the amount of useless retards in this world is far more than sustainable.

it insists upon itself

ok....... but who asked??

the movie was revealed to me in a dream

any twist movie where you instantly forget why the twist works a week after will have a good reputation with stupid people but isn't very good (the others from 2001 is another one just like this)

Was anyone actually surprised the film ended in such a cheap way?
Like I thought it was a great film, I just don't know how Scorsese looked at a script in 2010 and thought "but it was all in his head! nobodies seen this before!"

Attached: 1637360803255.gif (230x230, 1.54M)

But it was le heckin atmospheric
I dunno if that's fair, it feels Nolan-y but it also came out before Inception did, so..

>Better to die a man than live as a monster

Nah id rather be a monster man

I genuinely loved this film. Yes, I predictes the twist, but only midwits think "i predicted it = bad film". I enjoyed it mostly because it continued to make me doubt if I was right, and DiCaprio's spiral was really gripping. Also, I enjoy the trope of "insane evil experiments psycho asylum".

this shit was, dare i say, cheesy as fuck lol

It's based off a book brainlet

Ok. Replace script with book. I don't see how that makes a difference.

It's a first watch only. Scorsese version of capeshit. Very enjoyable to watch with a woman because she'll feel smart and then you can fuck her mouth. "Omg, le twist!!!"

Tbh. We all were guessing if he was insane or not. And he was! But he just became aware of it throughout the process. Its really not even a twist. His process worked. And Leo just didn't want to be here anymore.

Kino. Gonna rewatch.

Session 9 is the superior asylum kinograph.

Attached: MV5BMWYyYzc4MTItOTdkOS00ZTIwLWE2N2MtZjA4N2YxMTI2NjViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg (2021x2976, 2.02M)

it wasnt "all in his head"

Why would someone change the ending to a book that's main gimmick is the twist. Would you make a moby dick movie about how the whale lives and rapes every woman in the western hemisphere?

Why do I bother

desu most movies where the twist is "the main character was imagining the secondary character the whole time" don't really work that well cause the movie often tries to overexplain the twist to the audiences at the end instead of slowly revealing the character to the audiences along the way. it just doesn't make sense to me that someone who is a literal schizophrenic acts otherwise like a pretty well adjusted human being (not just talking about shutter island, fight club is like this too) i think the latest kaufman movie did a pretty good job at it even though it had some flaws

>"the main character was imagining the secondary character the whole time"
that didnt happen in this movie

Good bost, really came around.
I felt the same way and the watched it again. It's worth it for the performances, it feels very old school in some ways. Lots of kino scenes

It's emotionally dishonest

I never heard anything about it other than "the twist ending." Shit movie.

it's really not about the ending or the plot twist.

The “nazis bad” shit really seemed to come out of nowhere. Was interesting enough to that point but that killed the whole film midway through

JFC dude I'm not saying he should have changed it.

I'm saying, how did he read a book that has an "all in their head" ending and not think, oh this has been done in Wizard of Oz, Jacobs Ladder, Nightmare on Elm Street, American Psycho, Mullholland Drive etc. (hell, Silent Hill 2). It was the most generic plot of these.

I have the same issue with Battle Royale films. I just despise the artistically bankrupt hollywood types that churn out recycled plots, and Scorsese isn't a pleb.

its a lot longer than it needs to be, thats probably my biggest complaint. i dont mind long movies, but it felt like there was a lot of aimless wandering in this movie.

i do think though that movies like this are good for exactly 2 watches. the first watch where you dont know the ending and dont know what the movie is really about, and then the 2nd watch where you do know and you can look for all sorts of little clues you missed, and anything after that i dont think you'll really get much enjoyment out of it.

it wasn't an "all in their head" ending

i rewatched it recently and turned it off halfway through, bored as shit
literally "twist is the only interesting part: the movie"

Attached: 1648624884509.jpg (660x546, 17.97K)

tell me which parts were on his head.

His hair parts, a hat sometimes

Leo and Marty don't miss. It's great when great people have nothing to prove anymore and just get to rub our noses in it.

what film did you watch.
>The patient is highly intelligent, highly delusional decorated Army veteran. Known proclivity for violence. Shows no remorse for his crime because he denies the crime ever took place. Highly developed and fantastical narratives, which preclude facing the truth of his actions

right so which scenes were all in his head?

The ending is not "all in his head"

Leo killed his family.
The process worked.
He didn't want to be alive anymore.

God damnit, is this movie the ultimate filter? Do you even watch? Holy fuck

Also not what happens in American psycho. You are an absolute filtered pleasure ND stop watching movies, stop posting here, and maybe even kill yourself if you see the need.

The whole movie is him pretending to be an investigator in his head while others play along, Jesus Christ you are retarded. Next thing you say the lady living in the cliff wasn't in his head

this is pedantic bullshit. kill yourself.

my bad its been a while since ive seen it. from what i remember i liked the twist but not the lead up to it

>so that's it, huh, we some kind of mental patients?

Attached: shutter-island.jpg (2000x1500, 502.95K)

Bad bait but I appreciate you

He's a crazy person. Just like you.

>The whole movie is him pretending to be an investigator in his head while others play along
so the scenes really took place and werent all in his head?

"I'd rather die a man, than love as a monster."

What did this line mean, troon?

Yes, his dead wife was actually there talking to him, it was real

Ben Kingsley's standoff-ish performance is really good and unsettling, but yeah the movie is terrible, especially the flashback scenes and the bit where they get caught in the storm

so when you see an obvious dream/fantasy sequence, you think that is an "it's all in his head" twist ending? sub 80 IQ

Yes Leonardo, it makes me Shudder. Island.

Attached: shutter-island-leonardo-dicaprio-mark-ruffalo.jpg (600x312, 101.27K)

It is not terrible and that's very dishonest of you. Stop putting personal opinions into blanket statements. It's campy. And fun. Not everything needs to be the tree of life faggot.

Good bait

based

you are a worthless idiot. kill yourself.

wait, i haven't seen it in awhile. i thought his wife killed the kids and then he killed his wife?

You are supposed to use capital letters after ending the sentence with a dot.

As far as movie twists go, this one is the most well done. Better than any M Night or any other.

It's pretty bad. If gangs of New York didn't exist, it'd be Scorsese's worst film

Actually maybe second best after fight club.

Correct. And he went insane in order to forget. But in the end, Ben Kingsley process works. Leo tells him "I'd rather die a man than live as a monster" after pretending he forgot who he was again. It's kino

Glad I'm not the only one to hate that clusterfuck

dishonest cinema

basically The Sixth Sense except mental hospital instead of being dead