Owning multiple copies of the same book

>owning multiple copies of the same book

Whats the fukken point

Attached: IMG_20200105_205655.jpg (2048x1536, 461K)

Book club.

i see the appeal if you're collecting different editions of your favourite book

different translations.

They had a sale

Attached: IMG_20200216_143314_1.jpg (3426x2592, 1.71M)

Sometimes I'm not paying attention and I accidentally order two copies of the same book on Amazon.

hey I'm reading that now

>tfw he's actually trying to curb the market for copies of Spinoza's "Ethics" published by Penguin Classics

If I like a paperback, I’ll buy a more expensive hardcover that looks nice on my shelf

>if I like x, I buy non-x
wat

I actually have my copy of Spinoza's Ethics with me right now.

I bought 3 copies of the same book once. Made me uncomfy having them. Well, the 2 other copies were for gifts and the time I bought them - I couldn't express the itch to get rid of them right away.

Annotated copy vs clean copy

happens if you get a lit gf :)

that sounds like a huge cope. how do you accidentally order 2 copies? just admit you are a pedant and dont like creased spines

>if you're collecting different editions of your favorite
>different translations
I've done this with some books by Dostoyevsky and Bulgakov, also I think I have more than one edition of The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost because there are some really nice ones out there.

I have more than one Bible translation as well (KJV, ESV and NASB I think).

>other copies were for gifts
I've bought plenty of books at a used book store that I already have to give as gifts, sometimes giving books as presents feels like I'm handing out homework but usually they like them.

Attached: 9780140444568.jpg (259x400, 16K)

My sister and her boyfriend own two sets of Harry Potter, one of which looked like a nice and expensive edition

They confided in me that it was necessary to own two copies because my sister has the habit of wiping her fingers on pages when she reads while eating, and wiping her brow with torn off page corners when she reads while taking a hot bath

So that's one reason

thats disgusting

I collect different editions of Ulysses by James Joyce (currently have about nine different copies) and I do it for two reasons: 1) I enjoy reading the different introductory essays, prefaces, and what explanatory notes they decide to include or take out, 2) It's my favourite novel and I just like collecting them.

do women really?

It fits my needs to. I like to go toe to toe with an author. If he makes a statement I don’t agree with in his philosophy, I may drop the book from my hands (I always pace as I read) and kick it across the room. If a work of fiction has an adjective or adverb I found superfluous, I am liable to lock my jaws onto it and pull until the cover and every page leading to the word has been ripped from the binding. I have stabbed, shot, defecated on, trampled on foot as well as on bike and in car, curbstomped, drowned, melted, haymakered, headbutted, hanged, whipped, drawn, quartered, thrown from deadly heights, cast into the sea, bathed in kerosene (this one was just a threat with the promise that if even one more pun was made I would light it) certain titles. I have soaked books in uncooked meat and fed them to any manner of animals. I let the scrapyard crush a car that I owned once only because I wanted to see the book I had left on the windshield destroyed. I often dream of hitting Joyce until bleeds and then relents.

Hand out copies as gifts to friends and family.

I don't believe you, but I love it

Autism

>They confided in me that it was necessary to own two copies because my sister has the habit of wiping her fingers on pages when she reads while eating, and wiping her brow with torn off page corners when she reads while taking a hot bath

Attached: 1364786208236.png (535x892, 916K)

As a religionboo, I have multiple translations of the Bible, Baghavad Gita, Upanishads, Tao Te Ching, I-Ching, and the Dhammapada, and to a lesser extent the greeks.

if you buy the same book 10 times you can pretend you read it 10x harder

what are you gonna do with them?

she sounds like a qt

I own multiple copies of the same books, but different editions. I don't know how many editions I have of The Hobbit and TLOTR.

high iq post

For more pleasure.

Attached: inCollage_20200301_172114404.jpg (1920x1920, 2.71M)

Just in case I want to read it more than once, of course.

This way you can read it for the first time multiple times

So you can give them away.

Burn them

>My sister and her boyfriend own two sets of Harry Potter,
DO YOU MIND GIVING YOUR SISTER'S NAME AND DESCRIPTION? BECAUSE ONCE DOTR ARRIVES, ANYONE WHO IN ANY WAY HELPED SUBSIDIZE THAT DISGUSTING, WRETCHED, UNTALENTED SCOTTISH WELFARE MATTRESS WILL BE SWINGING FROM A LAMPPOST...WOULD LIKE TO START COLLECTING NAMES NOW...
AS TO THE BORADER POINT, I OWN A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT TRANSLATIONS OF TOLSTOY, DOOESTOYEVSKY, ANND SEVERAL OTHER WRITERS SINCE I LIKE TO TO TRANSLATE MYSELF FROM THE RUSSIAN AND COMPARE.

i have several copies of some kipling books. some first editions etc
up to the 1930s the books were printed with a traditional hindu good luck symbol on the cover reflecting kipling's interest in asian cultures
unfortunately the germans fucked that up too

Attached: swastika.jpg (460x227, 56K)

>happy elephant with flower and peace windmill
>grump elephant with a sad, droopy dead flower
Why?

I own a 2nd copy of Leaves of Grass only because it was a really cool exact reproduction of the first edition in green leather. Pretty nice. I also own two copies of Legion by WPB because I enjoyed reading it and then afterwards found a paperback 1st edition copy that had such a cool cover I read it a second time upon purchasing it lol. I’m also looking for a hardcover copy of The Exorcist which will be my second copy.

post pic of sis plz

I own 9 Bibles. Different translations, different commentaries, from different denominations.

To impress roasties

I have multiple copies of Tolkien's books because there are lots of different beautiful editions to collect and I've enjoyed them since I was a kid.

I've done that before but you know they make it really easy to send one back

To give as gifts to people who you think might appreciate the book.

1. 20th Edition: I actually read this one. Keep it to review in the future.
2. Smoke weed out of this one.
3. Keep as a "nice copy" that I use for show.
4. Give this copy to a girl who will never read it and post about what a bad book it is on the internet but hopefully suck my wiener at some point in this process.

Have you not seen the guy slicing them up like cake for easier carry? Have you not seen the guy literally butchering IJ with fake blood and everything?

Gib me one pls, Ive yet to read spinny

Translations, editions, collecting (I know of a guy that has like 10 different editions of Dune, of all things)

Personally if I really like a book I buy a prettier hardcover, just because.

After I realized I had bought the shitty edition of Paradise Lost (Oxford World's Classics), I bought the superior Penguin edition and since I live in a non-Anglophone country I had to keep the shitty one. Also I own two editions of Ulysses because one is hardcover and very readable and the other has nice notes.

Should I cum in one

Read them ofc.

Megan said she hid notes in some editions. I'm going to buy a third signed copy at some point but I've kind of given up hope of finding the special editions

Attached: IMG_20190920_003219-01.jpg (4048x3036, 3.55M)

I own 3 copies of Ulysses and 3 copies of Gravity's Rainbow. I'm just collecting editions.

For Ulysses I have Vintage for reading, a Dover 1922 text that looks more like the OG S&C edition than any other, and a Modern Library hardcover from the 60s with an acceptable amount of wear on the jacket.

I always look for Viking GRs at used book stores but I've had no luck, but I don't want to give up and order online just yet.

It's surprisingly comfy for such a formal text.

My father (RIP) was a psychologist. When he passed away, he had something like 10 copies each of Tuesdays With Morrie and I Never Promised You A Rose Garden.