Prove to me that you read V. and actually gained something from it. No memeing. No goofs (but gags are allowed)

Prove to me that you read V. and actually gained something from it. No memeing. No goofs (but gags are allowed)

Attached: v by pinecone.jpg (432x649, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

orbit.openlibhums.org/article/id/403/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It makes me weep that he was capable of writing it at 25

Because he was meant to be a writer.

Chapter 5: In which Stencil nearly goes West with an alligator is an excellent section. The story of Father Fairing and the rats is hilarious

I remember reading it for the first time when I was 19 and thinking it was pretty entertaining albeit disjointed and chaotic. I couldn’t get past the first entry in the Fausto Maijstral chapter so I skipped ahead to the next chapter. Years later, I was sitting in a beer garden across from an Englishman who told me he thought the ending reminded him a lot of the end of Moby Dick, his favourite novel, and that the Fausto chapter really unraveled the whole mystery of the book. I made some halfhearted attempt to defend the fallout, but returned to my room that night to start rereading. Things do clear up a lot with the confession chapter, but part of me missed the earlier innocence of not knowing exactly what V meant or what it stood for or who “she” was.

Always wear your modified chastity belt when performing vaginal theatrics. And don't fuck any cyborgs because only insecure women get plastic surgery, insecurities most likely caused by homolusting surgeons and the Holocaust.

what exactly does V mean?

This exactly the episode that sticks out in my mind as well, it’s absolutely brilliant.

Anyway, OP, I was 17 and I took my paperback copy to the beach on a family trip. I accidentally left my copy in the rain and, whenever I flip through it’s sticky, malformed pages now, a few grains of sand still fall from inside.

Is it pronounced Yea Forums or 5?

fiVee (5)

I learned how a nose job is performed.

The part with the nose job and the doctor saying “who knows” to make a joke made me smile

Nose knows.

not having read the pinch, this sounds like some randomly generated reddit bullshit. what do you guys like about this.

You just have to read it to get it, user. A lot of the humor of this chapter in particular comes from the simultaneous humanity and outrageousness of the situation. Without giving too much away, a drifter gets a job hunting sewer gators in NYC and hears about a legend of sorts in which a priest attempts to bring the word of the lord to the local rat population. It stands alone as its own story and also works into the larger narrative (along with most of the many tangents in the novel). If you've never read Pynchon before it might be worth it to try Lot 49, but V is a good start too

Is it anything like a footjob?

>this sounds like some randomly generated reddit bullshit.
Try not to relate everything to websites

Ok well, try to explain what you like about the passage. This is the second time I've had to ask. Should be pretty easy if you really did like it.

Thank you user, this is an honorable post.

I thin the best description of a Pynchon novel — particularly the first read of a Pynchon novel — is that it's like a drunken night out. Some crazy things happen and you only vaguely remember most of it, and even if you didn't "gain" something tangible you still want to do it again.

>thin
k

As the other user said, Pynchon writes novels tangentially, essentially pointing to a larger general point or idea (V.) through a web of storylines that always seem to circle the point in mention. Essentially, he makes his tackles his ideas indirectly; in a novel about WWII, he will tell you about anything BUT the war itself, yet with the war always a looming presence in the background. This lends itself to some very creative and episodic writing, that specific passage a standout IMO. I don’t want to ruin it for you, and it’s better you read it yourself. I’m not backing out of the “challenge” in summarizing an episode, but because it really is such a bizarre, abrupt journey within the novel that it’s better you stumble upon it yourself

>he makes his tackles
He tackles

That is a very interesting answer, thank you user. I will read the pinch.

Benny What's-his-face

Attached: The-Sacred-and-Profane-Eliade-Mircea-9780156792011.jpg (316x475, 44K)

I own this version and I read that there were a few minor issues with it. What's a good version to look for?

Attached: 41CQf+0UcQL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (332x499, 20K)

You say that NOW. You would have scoffed if you were there

I WAS there

Attached: yiup.jpg (604x388, 31K)

it was a beautiful piece of literature i didn't have to gain anything from it. thats not the point at all.

which kind of beautiful?

V

That one's fine with a caveat. Pynchon revised V. after publication. afaik the changes were not major. The only edition in print that follows the revised text is the Where's Waldo one.

Keep in mind: the text in the edition you posted is the same that was published in hardcover in 1963. It is the text that won the William Faulkner award, and the text that most of Pynchon's early fans (and current fans) read. I wouldn't worry too much, or more accurately I didn't worry too much when I read that same edition.

*V.

thanks mane. i read it already and didn't notice anything until after looking it up

I remember flipping randomly through this particular edition and stopping on some pretty egregious misprints. Nothing to flip out over, but it you pay attention you may spot them. The thing with Pynchon is that his sentences always flow, so if you happen upon one that seems to end abruptly or that doesn’t scan smoothly you may want to take the time to parse our wether it’s him making a statement or a printing error.

fausto paula shlemihil stencil orthopsychiatry rhinoplasty

> and actually gained something from it
lol

When the kids find V in a bombed out Church.

POIGNANT SHIT....

THE WHOLE BOOK IS AWESOME. FUCK OFF OP

I want this to be a movie for the nose job ASMR

Incident know there was a herero genocide until I read V

I'm still looking for V.

There were some minor errors in the 1963 printing that Pinecone wanted to fix (an Arabic word being translated wrong, Esther wearing a raincoat that P. believed wouldn't fit her), but they didn't make it into every later edition of the book.
orbit.openlibhums.org/article/id/403/