weirdtales.com

====OTHER====
isfdb.org
sf-encyclopedia.com
apprenticealf.wordpress.com
warosu.org/lit
archived.moe/lit

====DOWNLOADS===
Calibre ready SFF collection, ~567GB. MEGA.
2000s is also in the thread but is torrent only.
Why is it so large? Because there's so many of the same work in various file formats and the magazine scans are easily most of the total size.

IRC
ebooks.byethost6.com
If needed may write a simplified and specific IRC guide to how I think it ought to be done.

libgen.is
I don't use this, but a lot of people do.

====WRITING====
uncannymagazine.com/article/dont-care-mfa-writing-vs-storytelling
whopayswriters.com
boingboing.net/2014/05/23/zen-and-the-art-of-fantasy-wri.html
fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com
onezero.medium.com/nike-and-boeing-are-paying-sci-fi-writers-to-predict-their-futures-fdc4b6165fa4
authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/six-takeaways-from-the-authors-guild-2018-authors-income-survey

Attached: 298539_1201780130_large.jpg (878x1526, 362K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/1122602
pastebin.com/MgtmPmp3
youtu.be/GtD0TNAr0LI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for consult did nothing wrong.

Attached: 16DD5EFB-312A-4CB9-A458-3602CD150BF8.jpg (853x543, 152K)

Any reccs for a shorter standalone that's not fucking soi yet not cringe like Lawrence's work? Now that's it's colder I wanted to start reading again. Thanks.

Attached: NAP.jpg (800x800, 105K)

sanderfag a hack

dammit, looks like the obsession's going to be cooking this time around. I was hoping that would wait for november

Anyone want to try that recipe game again? just throw out an ingredient and I'll post a recipe

children of blood and bone

This is /sffg/, so I'll have to go with Dragon Fruit.
Good luck.

Highly recommended for you:
A company of adventurers hunt down dragons for fun, profit, and lunch in an airship. Fantasy setting.
Example recipe page as image.
nyaa.si/view/1122602

Attached: Drifting Dragons - c001 (v01) - p065 [Digital-HD] [danke-Empire].jpg (2147x3056, 1.68M)

You know what? I'm going to do that, and I'm going to go crazy with it

Ingredients
>1 white dragon fruit, scooped and cubed, plus the skins of two more
>3/4 pound ground pork
>1/4 pound dried scallops, rehydrated and crushed, liquid reserved
>2 cloves garlic, sliced
>1 shallot, sliced
>1 inch ginger, cut into matchsticks
>2 birds eye chilis, sliced, seeds removed
>1 tsp sriracha
>1 heavy pink hawaiian red lava salt (optional, but recommended)
>1/4 cup cornstarch slurry
>1/4 cup dark rum or cognac

Recipe
>heat some oil in a heavy pan or wok until it just starts to smoke, then add sriracha and cook quickly until the oil turns red.
>add the ginger, shallot and chilis and sautee for about 30 seconds, then add the garlic and sautee for another 30 seconds
>remove the aromatics, add some more oil and add the pork, cooking while breaking it up with a spatula until you get lots of tiny, crispy bits
>add the aromatics back in, along with the scallops and scallop liquid and cook, stirring, until the liquid starts to evaporate
>add the cornstarch, just a little bit at a time until the sauce achieves a nice rich consistency. When it's just where you want it, add in the dragon fruit and cook, stirring, just until the edges soften and the fruit is warmed through
>spoon the mixture into the dragon fruit skins and reserve while you prepare the piece de resistance
>in a small pot, heat the liquor until simmering, then use a match or grill lighter to light it aflame
>pour it over the dragonfruit while still aflame, and serve

nice try tohru

>white dragon fruit
Yellow or nothing, pleb.

Well alright then.

Attached: Drifting Dragons - c003 (v01) - p142 [Digital-HD] [danke-Empire].jpg (2147x3056, 1.76M)

white is important for the visual contrast user. you can do one part yellow to two parts white, but beyond that you won't get the right look.

just joshing you user. This looks like an interesting read. Thanks for the rec

You're welcome.
I assume you don't have access to madokami, so if you like it and you have trouble finding after what's on nyaa, I can upload it. Just let me know.

Apparently there's going to be an anime of it as well.

Doesn't seem like white dragonfruit flesh would contrast super well with the pork unless you really browned it.

Seems a bit similar to Dungeon Meshi.

>tfw madokami is a shadow of its former self

Admittedly, dragonfruit is a hard ingredient to do savory. I could imagine wrapping it in ham, but where's the fun in that.

In this case, I'm trying to use the dragon fruit the same way tofu is used in mapo tofu – as a palate cleanser to beak up the spicy gravy. This dish after all is kind of a mix of mapo tofu, xo sauce, and some nameless flambeed tropical treat.

arguably, the mapo tofu I based it on would be infinitely more delicious without the dragonfruit weighing it down, so if I presented this to alton brown I'm pretty sure he'd have the chairman judo-throw me straight through the wall of kitchen stadium and into chelsea market below

How spicy should my mapo tofu be?

Attached: monthly reading.png (500x850, 233K)

>mapo tofu
>has neither of the most important flavor ingredients of mapo tofu: sichuan peppercorn and doubanjiang
I mean it sounds good, but the dried scallops suggest something else.
>Admittedly, dragonfruit is a hard ingredient to do savory
Yeah, and your recipe didn't sound bad. I'd go for something cold and refreshing, though. Maybe chunks of it in a ceviche.

I find that excess spice/numbing makes it more addictive to eat.

We Savory Flavors Fanatics General now, the new /sffg/.

>Suggest improvements
Holy shit tl;dr
Don't put EVERYTHING in a pastebin, people never read those.
Keep past threads like we used too, being able to simply click them is more convenient most of the time.
Remove NPR recommendations. Remove Scalzi.
Shrink the rest of the categories, put everything but main recommendations in pastebins or remove them.

the gravy itself should be just hotter than you can handle. The entire point of the tofu is to make it bearable

I was trying to build the dish a bit differently from mapo tofu admittedly. As I said, it's a mix of that with xo sauce and some random flaming fruit dessert. Another part of the reason is that I actually haven't cooked with doubanjiang before and didn't want to fuck up the dish by including an unreasonable amount. There's already enough variables in the dish that I'm guesstimating

You can get good pixian doubanjiang on amazon. Pretty neat stuff with a really deep flavor.

As it says, it's an extremely rough draft.
I wasn't going to put it as the OP, but no new thread was made for a while so I figured I may as well.

>being able to simply click them is more convenient most of the time.
Some people have Yea Forums stuff installed to just click to open links as they are.
If you left-click quickly it'll highlight the line and then can right-click to open.
You can also use the warosu link to open the links easily.

>Don't put EVERYTHING in a pastebin, people never read those.
Yes, I agree that people don't like to open external links, why is why I tend to put the max character count, 3000, in a post.
I have a pastebin I made on Yea Forums with ~200k views and another with ~100k views.

>Remove NPR recommendations. Remove Scalzi.
I would prefer not to.

>Shrink the rest of the categories, put everything but main recommendations in pastebins or remove them.
Is your objection entirely that you don't find it to be aesthetically suitable for your taste?

I don't see it as harmful. That being said, as I've posted, I'm not trying to take over the OP. This may just be a one-off.

Hmm, yeah, I forgot the links need to all be on separate lines. My mistake.

Redpill me on Stephen King. Is he any good?

>redpill
I refuse to engage with you.

>I would prefer not to
Why not? The NPR recommendations are literally the most generic stuff that came out this year, and hardly anything that would be discussed or recommended in this thread anyway.

>Is your objection
My objection is quality > quantity. People looking for recommendations want a clear answer, not a long ass list to filter through themselves.

>I'm not trying to take over the OP. This may just be a one-off.
I like the general idea, but it needs to be scaled down.

He gets slightly more hate than he deserve because he's popular but generally he's not good. His novel Cell are among the worst books I've ever read.

Just to be clear, the "I would prefer not to" is the same as its source.

>hardly anything that would be discussed or recommended in this thread anyway.
All the more reason to have it.

> People looking for recommendations want a clear answer, not a long ass list to filter through themselves.
Sure, specific people want specific answers and they post about it in the thread and are given specific answers. This is intended to be for everyone. If that was the case, no recs ought to be included in the OP because it's not specifically for anyone and the charts shouldn't even be made because they aren't specific enough. Otherwise it's just some random user pushing their taste.

Is 1984 considered science fiction?

It's most certainly science fiction.
Naturally though anything deemed worthwhile by the literary mainstream is stripped of any genre affiliations in popular perception.

Turns out Joe Abercrombie has done multiple Ask Me Anythings on Reddit. I guess that means that certain posters here will have to disown him and never read him again.

>Mark Lawrence is cringe
>Reads Chinese comic books
The absolute state of this board

I keep seeing people talk about litrpg. Is there actually any good litrpg that's worth reading?

>Retard bait logic
You can't be a big guy and not do the occasional ama. It's part of the social media marketing you have to do if you want to keep being published and your name isn't Thomas Pynchon.

Do you like the idea of using videogame mechanics as a plot device for the novel? Including when characters stats increase from doing stuff or they when level up?

Whether you do or not will determine a lot of whether you like it.

As well as if you like RPGs in general and their tropes.

There could be ones you like, but it's unlikely.
As I went through the charts, I saw a couple that might be ok, but I haven't followed up.

I tried reading one about a toy bear and had to give up 5 pages in. I don't know if that was a good example of the genre though.

This isn't the litrpg thread, and no, there isn't

Attached: 1557701571936.png (718x648, 56K)

I don't know if you've seen this, I've posted it a couple times, and once in the thread, but here are my opinions on the matter.

pastebin.com/MgtmPmp3

You can use [LitRPG] to go from one to another with a search.

Maybe eventually I'll follow up on some, but always so much else, so many distractions, and so many seemingly higher priorities that probably really shouldn't be.

Thanks, most of these look shit.

Oops, I forgot I didn't do the same for the 2nd chart for the []s.
I guess I should add those probably.
Oh well.
Time to sleep.

Remember, you don't have to wake up. Just sleep forever and ever

No. it's not considered science fiction. But it is. The technology behind the telescreen did not exist in 1949 when the book was published ergo it's sci-fi. However: I would argue this is a minor element in the overall scope of 1984 so I don't get too annoyed when it's considered more speculative fiction.

Sci Fi:
> The ancients were so advanced!
> War is terrible. Space is terrible. Space war.
> What happens when we get techno powers?
> What happens when the machines turn on us?
> Uh oh, utopias are really dystopias!
> Oh wow, aliens - and for the first time!
> These creatures aren't what they seem...
> We were the aliens after all!
> Time is weird. Let's swim in it.
> Relativity is weird. Everyone you knew is dead!
> Immortality is great! No wait...
> What if God was one of us?
> The Adventures of Tough Guy Space Gigolo
> The Adventures of Power Girl Cyber Queen
> The Adventures of Regular Kid in Big Space Trouble
> Sequels!

Attached: moon-monsters.jpg (600x420, 45K)

>“Science fiction is about laws. ‘This is what happened, no one can change it...Fantasy is about truth, which is relative.”
How reliable is this perspective?

> Bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish...
> That's the way you do things lad, when you're making shit up as you wish!

Scifi is just an aesthetic, remember that all fantasy and magic was at one time the accepted science. "What if a wizard invented immortality potions" was just as plausible then as "what if a scientist invented immortality drugs" is now.

>“Science fiction is about laws. ‘This is what happened, no one can change it...
If you've ever wondered why sci-fi's popularity is in the gutter and has been for decades it's because of this mentality right here.

Conan is white

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find consistent analogues for real sci-fi themes in fantasy. Also, classical mythology or pre-scientific revolution science isn't as close to modern fantasy as you seem to think. Immortality is a good example, but I off the top of my head I can't think of many others.

Even if you can think of a vast list of fantasy equivalents to sci-fi concepts that explore them better than sci-fi, some themes are decidedly the realm of science fiction: time, a non-religious answer to questions of creation, climate change (although arguably I'm sure this could be presented through allegory), consciousness and neuroscience. I would be deeply sceptical that the emotions invoked by authors like Watts or Egan could be matched in fantasy works.

Despite the derision of (who does make some fair points), sci-fi can definitely do some unique things that fantasy can't.

Attached: dont forget about palmer.jpg (672x372, 68K)

>a non-religious answer to questions of creation
By "non-religious" you mean "non-Christian".

Every single sci-fi book I've read was Gnostic or pantheist, which is still religion.

You just did, my man :^)

>All the more reason to have it
Absolutely not. What's the point of having different communities if they all recommend and read the same books? The fact that this place have its own, different, canon compared to Goodreads or Reddit is a good thing and something that should be encouraged by the recommendations.

The masterworks links are acceptable because they're very general and historical. But the selected recommendation charts should be returned to the OP to complement the general recommendations.

>image
Perhaps the Stars when? My impatience getting out of control, it's consuming me.

Attached: Eggman.jpg (997x879, 265K)

Has anyone here read The Martians, by Kim Stanley Robinson? I finished the Sexual Dimorphism story recently, and I thought it was great. It held my attention for a few days afterwards, at least. The ending is really quite beautiful, even if strange. I was wondering what opinions others might've had on it?

At the risk of sounding romantic, I'll write my opinions. Personally, I think the protagonist’s relationship with his love was really quite tragic. The story wasn't very long, but is succeeded in making me care about the protagonist, and it was really awful to see how utterly cast aside he was by a woman he loved so much that he even described her as a goddess on earth. He hits her, which leads to him hating himself, when he should rightfully be hating her, after she practically tortured him by refusing to dump him, whilst openly flirting with his future replacement, and then she psychologically rubs his face in the dirt with that answering machine message. Then, even though she was clearly the villain in the story, she gets to move on, and to be happy with her new man, whilst our protagonist still sees her as the same goddess as before, which denies him the ability to forget her. It is her senseless cruelty, and lack of remorse, that allows her to be happy, but our protagonist’s love, and guilt, denies him that same thing. It’s a story in which the protagonist would be infinitely happier if he were just worse at loving people, which is tragic. The sociopath gets to be happy, whilst the empath ends up sleeping on the beach in a greatcoat, then performing what is essentially attempted suicide, all because he loved a woman more than she loved him.

Really, I want to know whether this story is playing on some specific personal weaknesses of mine, or if it’s actually as emotional as I’m feeling. Give me your opinions. Opinions on the other stories would also be appreciated. I thought Arthur Sternbach Brings the Curveball to Mars, and Green Mars, were very interesting. The latter has made me wish I could become a professional Olympus Mons escarpment climber.

PS: please don’t bully me

Attached: martians.jpg (1000x1473, 285K)

First of all, let me start by saying that I support any and all improvements on the sticky, so long a they are actually, you know, and improvement. However, you seem to be one of the, thankfully few, faggot who don't understand that there's a reason people come here instead of arrfantasy.
There's a reason why we have the word "modularity". You don't want all of your files in the same folder and you don't want all of your links on sticky. Over 50 lines is imply unacceptable.
NPR not only includes books "we haven't read", but is also almost entirely filled with books almost no one here would enjoy (expect for jordan poster and a few others, and there's like a 30% chance that you are the jordan poster).I have never seen the scalzi website before, but upon a cursory glance I agree with the other user that it should be removed.
No one will ever care about writing section, magazines and blogs should be in a misc pastebin, downloads should include no more than 3 links, and no we don't care about what you use.
Selected fantasy and selected scifi were like the only charts that everyone seemed to like. Why would you remove them, and instead add charts that are completely based on your personal taste, and has nothing to do with this general, besides being speculative fiction? Those charts were like the ideals starting point for newfags, including Wolfe, Vance, Peake, Le Guin, and I think Dunsany. What sort of a fucked up childhood did you have to think that recommending a reading list of an author that isn't even that liked here is a better idea? That
Last time it took me a week of screeching for the new sticky to stick. And you are about to ruin it.
I hope we can come to an understanding, because otherwise I will have no choice but to screech again.

Mid 2020 I'm sad to report. I vaugely remember reading Ada was taking sme more time to polish it all up which I think it a good thing as I personally felt book 3 was a tad weak.

Right you are, well said. There's some Dharmic stuff in Watt's Echopraxia but that's the only other example I can think of.

Bully Stick
You didn't cook it last time either faggot.

youtu.be/GtD0TNAr0LI

Chapters 1-5 covered so far.

Attached: lord of the rings chapter five.png (1236x662, 533K)

>Last time it took me a week of screeching for the new sticky to stick
If I could give a fug I would have changed it back to the original template to mess with you, but I just couldn't give a fuck anymore.
Don't feel you acting autistic had anything to do with it sticking.

Why is Jeff Hayes such an autistic faggot?
He could be making some great audiobooks, but he chooses to only do litrpg shit.

i wish i was him...

It has everything to do with it sticking, I have tried to be reasonable for months, but the thread slave faggot refused to engage in a discussion, but as soon as I sperg out and start creating threads on my own, it sticks