Ye olde stack thread

ye olde stack thread

Attached: 1569279234463.jpg (5312x2988, 3.63M)

Butterfly is a qt :3

Mine stack LAZY EDITION

Pride And Prejudice
Pleasure
A Rebours
Portrait of a Lady

Time for a re-read.

Attached: botns.jpg (728x1296, 264K)

Based
Good
Why

What makes a stack superior to a shelf?

But they aren't.
I envy you, I can't find a edition with a nice cover.

Based
Good
Why

Is Anatomy of melancholy good?

Dickens' Bleak House
Ever since i read that Nabokov loved Dickens, i just can't bring myself to read it.

Is Anatomy of Melancholy Good? Ive been wanting to read it since forever but i have no idea what it actually is, even though I've read up on it.

Sick, Ive been meaning to get into Gene Wolfe. Tell me about it, user.

Attached: 1A9A89D0-AAD8-4D48-84AA-9E96302EA4FA.jpg (4032x1543, 1.34M)

Have you gone any further?
Gene Wolfe's initial Book of the New Sun tetralogy is: The Shadow of the Torturer (1980), The Claw of the Conciliator (1981), The Sword of the Lictor (1982) and The Citadel of the Autarch (1983), Lately they're published in two omnibus volumes: Shadow & Claw and Sword & Citadel.
The Urth of the New Sun (1987) serves as a fifth volume, or coda, to the Book of the New Sun series.
Then we have the The Book of the Long Sun tetralogy:
Nightside the Long Sun (1993), Lake of the Long Sun (1994), Caldé of the Long Sun (1994), and Exodus from the Long Sun (1996). These are also published in two omnibus albums: Litany of the Long Sun and Epiphany of the Long Sun.
Then we have the The Book of the Short Sun trilogy:
On Blue's Waters (1999) In Green's Jungles (2000) Return to the Whorl (2001). Those three books were collected in a single omnibus edition titled The Book of the Short Sun.
All three Sun series (The Book of the New Sun, The Book of the Long Sun, and The Book of the Short Sun) are referred to collectively as the "Solar Cycle," which is comprised of all twelve books.

Attached: GeneWolfe.jpg (766x812, 164K)

>Is Anatomy of melancholy good?
>Is Anatomy of Melancholy Good? Ive been wanting to read it since forever but i have no idea what it actually is, even though I've read up on it.
It's basically ye olde Infinite Jest

What would the ye olde Ulysses and ye olde Gravity's Rainbow be?

Gargantua & Pantagruel and Tristram Shandy, respectively.

You're on the money for Gravity's Rainbow but not Ulysses. Maybe Don Quixote? Shakespeare's First Folio?

Attached: 1569294112135171117701.jpg (5312x2988, 3.75M)

Attached: 15692944692201829793744.jpg (5312x2988, 3.77M)

It has to be Don Quixote, Shakespeare is popular enough to be a "meme" but it's not wacky enough.
Does the NYRB edition contain any note on how much they modernized the original archaic English? I'm noticing that there aren't many "paradife loft" esque spellings.

wow it's shit

It's cribbed from the 1932 "modernized" Everyman, and the note on translation style etc. is maintained. All NYRB added was the bland Gass introduction and the cute art hoe bait aesthetic.

>paradife loft
Protip: those aren't actually "f" characters but stylized "s" characters. The spelling in that case is the same.

Paradiſe Loſt.

What's the alternative, Penguin? Reading scans of the 1651 original?

If the options are Burton, Sterne, Cervantes, and Rabelais, that's just a ye olde experimental comedy trilogy/tetralogy. That could be apt for IJ and GR but less so for Ulysses. What oldies are very good, relatively serious prose stylists?

pic related
I found a scan somewhere online. The Penguin edition is upcoming but I expect it'll be crap.

Attached: 15692973443091601449278.jpg (5312x2988, 3.95M)

im a newfag. what is a stack? is it recently bought books or is it what youre currently reading?

either

Recent books that you may or may not be reading.

It's a pile of books

in that case heres what im reading now.

Attached: stack.jpg (4250x2390, 3.3M)

My lazy stack:
Creative and Critical Thinking
The Iliad - Trans. by Michael Reck
Crime and Punishment

Normally read C&CT in the morning, The Iliad in the evening, and C&P before bed. Pretty comfy on the psued track, desu.

Attached: hikikomori.png (955x686, 204K)

Martin Eden
Crying of Lot 49
Wuthering Heights
The Name of the Rose
Finnegans Wake
Kalevala

This is my first time seeing The Anatomy of Melancholy from the side. Jesus what a brick.