Hows your writing going Yea Forums?

You are writing right?

Attached: Stalin.jpg (1280x842, 205K)

I write songs. I always write lyrics first, most the lyrics have gone down well on Yea Forums (with the exception of that street fighting song), so I think it’s fair to post in this thread.

Was going well but have hit a shitty patch after releasing my first album. Everything I write seems trite over the last month or so. I find myself too focused too much on religious references and sin in everything I try to write lately as I am going through a pretty rough patch. I keep writing a verse or two then scrapping it. I keep the notes to pilfer for choice lines later on.

I've just started to write again seriously. Started a new position, and I've got some time for a few hundred words per day, at least.

What are some good writing sites? Yea Forums seems much more focused on reading.

I'm gonna give you some advice, because what you've asked kind of touches on a pet peeve of mine. I don't mind whether you take this advice or not.

Writing groups, sites, forums, and etc are great for total novices. As in, they can provide you with some elementary steps and rules to improve your writing (I'm mostly talking about creative writing), but you must beware of these groups. Once you transcend rookie-hood, you have to find your education elsewhere. Here's why:

These places are full of people who THINK they know what they're talking about, and they almost always present themselves as if that's the case. In reality, nearly all of them are amateurs, just like you, but maybe with some more practice. But all of them will tell you what you need to do, what you have to do, and what you must not do, regardless of whether it's quality advice or not. You have to go into those places with a good foundational education already, or you will not know what advice is good, and what will lead you astray and down the wrong path. Also, even if a person is accomplished, that doesn't mean that their process or advice will work for you. Think of John Elway or Michael Jordan. Both are legendary athletes, masters of their craft, and both are horrible at evaluating and developing talent at their old positions.

So my advice is to listen to them, but always take things with a strong grain of salt, and rely on your own practice, your own readings, and your own research to lead your way into becoming a "serious" writer, whatever that means to you. Sorry for the word dump.

I keep writing books/short stories. I get a few thousand words into it, re read it, realize the whole premise is cringy and that i am a bonafide retard. I then delete the document, regret that i deleted it and just wish i finished something for once regardless of quality. Then i start brainstorming my next story and the cycle continues ad infinitum. Being a brainlet is suffering.

Attached: apu cry.jpg (657x527, 53K)

Why not just make a dump folder for old ideas you find stupid? Then you have the satisfaction of removing them from your sight, but you can always go back later and improve or revise.

That's probably something I should have expected. I've been engaging in creative pursuits long enough I've seen that all before elsewhere.

I don't plan on being a "serious" writer. I have another established career. I might try the self publishing routine, I've vaguely aware there's a platform on amazon anybody can publish on, and maybe even get a few readers. I'm not interested in fame, fortune, or being taken "seriously." Figured there's probably a few like me out there who've been down that path before.

Sounds like a good idea i will do that from now on. For context here are a few ideas i found stupid and deleted. Feel free to laugh at my autism.
1. Man gets influenced by demonic forces and devolves from loving father and good hardworking family man to absolute degenerate over the course of seven days, each one representing one of the 7 deadly sins. 7th day is wrath and he kills his wife and later himself.
2. Post apocalyptic "historical document". Basically its told in the first person from a non reliable narrator about how the end of the world came about for future historians to look upon. Throughout the story he recognizes his own insanity yet pleads for them to trust him about certain events. He insists that 12 artifacts of supernatural ability were dropped onto humanity (this is later revealed to be as punishment). These artifacts are like those /cyoa/ pictures you find around here occasionally each one of the twelve artifacts has disastrous effects both on the world at large and its user. For example one of them is that simple age old "Press this button, 1 person will die but you will get 1000 dollars." Except in this interpretation the button has an alluring effect that makes you want to press it more and more, the more you press it the weaker you willpower becomes to resist in until you become a miserable pile of a man killing thousands of people a day for a pile of money you never use. 11 other artifacts the main protagonist talks about coming across with his own "locator" artifact that helps find them. His mission was to destroy them all which he accomplishes in the end. Ends on a hopeful note.
3. The soviet union joined the axis in world war 2 and easily crushed the British. The story takes place in the modern world. The axis has dissolved and with carte blanch from Hitler Stalin was allowed to intervene in Asia and crush the Japanese forcing a white peace and allowing Mao to take control of China. Britain is occupied by Germany but the loyal dominions stay democratic but white peace with Germany. America becomes increasingly defensive making the monroe doctrine much more invasive, instead of simply staging coups in southern American nations they straight up declare war on any and all American nations that refuse a dictate from Washington, the first dictate being the infamous "Democracy or Death" Legislation passed by president George Patton after FDR was declared a cowardly communist traitor and exiled. Now the main protagonist (The Canadian prime minister) has to circumvent global politics of the new cold war with the three major powers, the eastern communists, the European and African fascists, and the American and oceanic democratic powers. The Americans are trying to force canada to give up the great lakes as well as the land between mainland USA and alaska. They have 4 months to decide. The story is about the prime minsters personal life as well with his struggle with this. He allies germany.

Attached: apu thinks.png (678x525, 38K)

I write poetry. Lately I've been smoking weed every morning and night listening to the Doors. I'm obsessed. I started smoking in search of a creativity booster, but it's doing nothing of the sort. That which I have written is poor quality. Every night I'm high (high now), but I'm really missing out on good time to write and read. This can't go on.

Attached: jm.jpg (749x915, 197K)

I know you didn't really ask for feedback, but I'll offer some regardless.

These ideas are kind of curious, in that they all start strong and then kind of descend into the gimmicky or bizarre. I think you might be overthinking them, though I'm not going to reveal myself to be a pseud by trying to evaluate your psychology.

For me, premises are always short and as simple as they can be, lacking extraneous fluff or gimmick. Then that idea can be expanded, preferably with what feels like a natural extension of the simple premise (basically, I try to take the path I feel the story "wants" to take). That's just me, though.

You are probably right about my tendency for things to get really gimmicky and over expanded. I will keep that in mind with my next attempt and try to only expand naturally as you described. Will probably still end up silly but hey, the first pancake is practice, i might pick up professionalism later on. No matter what i will finish this one, regardless of how shit is is.

Hopefully that works out well for you. Just to let you know, when I read No. 2 on your idea list, I thought "Sold. I love it." after reading the first 2 sentences. Then you lost me when you started talking about artifacts. Just food for thought, but I think that one has lots of wonderful potential if you shave off the excess. If it'd been one of my ideas, I'd have run with that basic premise and let it marinate in the mind for a while, playing with those natural paths I talked about until a mature story emerges some time later.

what the fuck do you think

>The thing about the proximity was, first, that there was always someone better than yourself, which was charming at first, a real trip, but then the small places started shuttering, and soon the entire place was a moribund mall, totally vacant except for the giant aleph in the middle and a few surly, depressive failures manning lookout stations in the shell of the building, all sheetrock, birch, glass, and stained carpet. And the aleph paid the bills, mostly, but the rest of the place was auxiliary, so they turned off the power to the vacant fronts, so to speak, and then there wasn't really anywhere else to go, so they didn't need to dress the place up, and metaphorically speaking, you walked into a dark sheetrock cavern, with the linoleum tiles loose and scattered and a vast patch of dusty concrete where the fountain had been, and you took a left and a right, and you were at the aleph, which presumably made it all worthwhile. Except by this point, the aleph wasn't all that great either.

tell me this was produced by a human

You're right, but you won't regret having tried it. I haven't used the stuff in quite a while but I'm quite content with the notes I got.

>Pic Unrelated
I've really begun getting into writing lately. I have this pretty cool idea for a story I really do want to be made to a full book. It's gonna be a satire of sorts on the absolute state of America as we know it. Other than it will involve anthropomorphic animals, thats all I'll really say about it because I don't wanna waste my entire story here and have no drive to write the actual thing anymore.

Attached: JPEG_20190705_155034.png (568x566, 523K)

I only have two fucking sites to post my stories on and for one of them, my stories are too dark, violent, and sometimes even anti human. The other site being this one. I can't post my whole stories other then snippets in the critique threads. I haven't been able to reach out to much people but the ones that I do are fucking hooked into my art pieces and can't wait to read more. Even with my limited outlets I'm still creating more stories both for myself and my fans. There's a series of mine called "The demon named Vassago" i'm going to expand on.

I really don't want to give you feedback on this, because I don't like to do strictly negative "tear-down" criticism. But unfortunately I can't think of anything constructive to say, likely not because there's nothing redeemable about it, but instead because I lack context to really judge it. Sorry, bud.

pretty terrible
all of my stories seem to need to have some large scope to them and i don't necessarily want them any other way, but it makes it difficult to even begin, and once i do it often becomes conflated
i have the ideas in my head but putting them on paper in a meaningful order is challenging
it's also been several years since i completed a full story.
as of right now i'm aiming for something about the size of a small novella that could possibly be used as an introduction to a much larger story.

There is no difference between your 'inspired ' writing and writing you forced yourself to to.

The hardest thing is to sit down and write. But this is the only way it will happen.

People wait lifetimes for the 'right moment'.

Write. Finish the story even if it makes no sense. Then edit it and make it look like you always knew what you were doing.

>People wait lifetimes for the 'right moment'.
deep no sarcasm

it's about the internet
it's about what happened to the internet
there's the context

my parents caught me years ago; i stayed over at a friends house we smoked his dads homegrown stash
next day came home took all precautions (smell) was fine throughout the day. that night decided to nap round 6pm... some how my parents would have been standing by my room that night, and would have smelt the smell of the marijuana i smoked nearly 24 hours earlier!

Okay. That's definitely an interesting concept to work with. But all I really know of this is your style, and here's what I have to say. Apologies for the negative tone.

1. It has a serious flow problem, partially because of the run-on sentences that contain multiple separate thoughts with irrelevant dependent clauses. This smells of a slight lack of technical skill, at least in the area of flow and coherency.

2. The word choices in general lead me to the conclusion that you're trying to be intentionally convoluted. That is, it's like you want your audience to really work for the understanding. That sounds great in theory, and can give the sense the story is deep and intelligent, but more often it comes off as an author trying to get others to think of them as smart. Both the structure (long, run-on sentences with smart-sounding dependent clauses tossed in) and word choices lead me to this rough conclusion.

If it were me, I'd rewrite it, and think about ways to make it tighter and more straightforward. I think it's far better to lay your ideas on the line and let them be judged on their own merit without purple-ish prose.

Pretty shite. Been starting lots of "practice" pieces lately because I'm too scared and stupid to write my big epic, but after 2-10 pages I move on to a new one. I tend to have a good premise but I lose steam when it's time to prove my so-so writing chops. The structural reworking and nitty gritty are where I fail. Also been having some technical issues with Word which have stolen an hour here and there where I try to find a solution, get fed up of nothing working, and ignore the problem until I can't anymore, cycle repeat. Technical issues are formatting, if anyone cares. I wish Word had a magic button that would make novel formatting easy.

wrote this last night should I continue

Attached: lo.png (584x512, 48K)

oh
good advice
i was trying to be conversational is all

Yes. Absolutely. That's really, really good! If only for me please continue! Have you written anything else?

No, I'm writing wrong.

I'm writing a commentary on each psalm. I'll do the ecclesiastes and the Song for Songs when I'll be done.

A bit too purple but interesting I'd love to see where you want to go with this.