British Humour

What books will give me the taste of '''british humour''' so lauded about?
Read hitchhiker's guide to galaxy on someone's recommendation and I'm not impressed.

Attached: stock-photo-english-gentleman-drinking-tea-184937822.jpg (1493x1003, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uycsfu4574w
youtube.com/watch?v=H5WcHbA8kjY
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_YyaPt0-I&list=WL&index=367&t=2431s
youtu.be/hPKi1_rVuVU
bennewsam.co.uk/Goons.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're too burgerised, lad. It's over.

A Handful of Dust

It's a meme

Watch the following British comedy sketches to get a taste:
>youtube.com/watch?v=uycsfu4574w
>youtube.com/watch?v=H5WcHbA8kjY
Two of my absolute favourites.

Three Men in a Boat

Peter Simple, Dickens, etc

Honestly the brits on this website are some of the funniest posters on the site

only the second one's funny, and yes OP, core essence of british humour is mostly found in british tv

how do you know which ones are brit

There’s this monkey see

Attached: 13526DDC-D59A-49F0-98EB-CE0A95D36691.jpg (220x270, 14K)

>Peter Simple
can't find a single book of him on goodreads or amazon. who's this guy

watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_YyaPt0-I&list=WL&index=367&t=2431s

Book by Captain Marryat

Muriel Spark and Iris Murdoch are both hilarious (women alert though).

P. G. Wodehouse is great for old-school dry wit, Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome, Kingsley Amis (Lucky Jim), James Herriot, etc. For Irish humour, see Spike Milligan's Puckoon, Stella Gibbons's Cold Comfort Farm is awesome, the Queen Lucia series by E F Benson, Molesworth by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle, and so on. Monty Python/Ripping Yarns books are always useful for absurdist post-WWII humour. For true obscure craziness, read Bruce Dickinson's two comic novels (the lead singer of Iron Maiden) if you can find them. They're ribald and insane.

Has anybody read this bong?
The cunty fingers story has me intrigued.

Attached: 1819357A-DEC8-4964-BDEF-3A508C8DCFB0.jpg (1500x2400, 656K)

Not a book but Peep Show

I read somewhere that Jerome K Jerome ripped off some Swede for that book. Good advice though, as is PG Woodehouse

Definitely dont listen to this, the last century of bonh humor is trash

Attached: 31GrJPt690L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (313x499, 14K)

> Hears a joke
> Not impressed

OP asked about British humour in books and I gave him a dozen of the most famed and enduring examples. You on the other hand, offered nothing but the idiotic claim that the UK hasn't produced any funny writing in the past century.

To an extant Irvine Welsh would give you a taste. Even though he’s Scottish, the comedy in his books is very similar to a lot of northern UK humour

Listen to Blue Jam by Chris Morris.

The listen to Why Bother? by him and Peter Cook.

I realise they're not books but well, fuck it.

I offered Marryat, Dickens, Wells, Smollett

Ah, missed that. But really, nothing funny since 1919?

Lucky Jim.

it's not funny tho

Pretty much everybody would disagree so take a seat.

pretty much everybody who'd disagree that I've met is a self-important humorless pleb who wouldn't know good taste if it licked them in the face, you take a seat

Maybe Norman Douglas idk

edward lear

...and before that british radio. the goons, tw3, the navy lark, isihac, etc etc. hitch hiker's guide started out as a radio show.
(and before that, music hall, and before that shakespeare etc etc)

>For Irish humour, see Spike Milligan's Puckoon
milligoon was born in india and lived almost all his life in the uk. puckoon was his nod to his irish heritage, but it isn't really representative of his work. his best stuff is his kid's books. when i was kid i had a copy of a book of milliganimals and even now i can recite the whole of the baboon poem (there was a baboon who one afternoon said i think i will fly to the sun / and with two great palms strapped to his arms he started his takeoff run)
also you missed tom sharpe who would normally be on a list like that. blott etc. although the telly adaptations were better, i thought.

i saw brydon, mack and mitchell on tour recently. wasn't really as funny as i expected although seeing david mitchell dressed up as a chicken was worth it

Attached: 738391f2-f394-4e0e-ab91-6f8ab0d4f4f3_1.84f5a26c92ae8320f3f49e50a174a579.jpg (450x450, 18K)

Nice self-portrait.

tried trainspotting. understand nothing.

Anyway I can listen to those shows?

That’s because yir a wide-o, radge cunt, ken?

David Mitchell
youtu.be/hPKi1_rVuVU

YA CHEEKY CUNT, INNIT.

you can find the goons in many places online. for example bennewsam.co.uk/Goons.html
bear in mind they contain a lot of topical jokes which haven't always aged well. they were made in the early 1950s, when britain was still recovering from the war. for example the episode ill met by goonlight is a reference to the book ill met by moonlight by w stanley moss, the story of the ww2 mission to kidnap a german general led by patrick leigh fermor.
if you want a place to start try the episode called the mysterious punch up the conker

thanks

Evelyn Waugh. "Decline and Fall" and "The Loved One" are his best.

Why has no one else said Wodehouse

Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series, I recommend starting with Night Watch or Mort, but they're not in any particular order.

Threads.

>Threads
What's that?

Because they're the ones who are always posting "oi mate, cor blimey, i 'ant beleve 'mericans acshually do this shite mate, bloody 'ell,"

A rip-roaring tour-de-force showcasing the very best of British comedy

British "humor" is cringe as fuck my guy. Everyone hypes up Monty Python but I watched and and Jesus is it bad.

Scotland is part of Britain.

I wouldn't call it hyped up, many people dislike it and find it unfunny in britain. I think a lot of people outside of britain list it as their favourite to try and sound sophisticated, but don't realise how many other, better programmes there are, much in the same way you watched it and foolishly passed judgement over all of britain's long comedic tradition without looking into anything else.
It certainly isn't the HOLY GRAIL of British humour.

say it only once. why say it again?

Attached: tumblr_mvt8sxqGdF1t0rm9xo1_400.png (400x400, 203K)

monty python is 50 years old this year. of course it has dated, some of it quite badly.
you're probably an american teenager so you're used to fast jump cuts and sitcoms centred around a fucking big sofa so you have no idea of the cultural impact the pythons had when it was first on telly. there's a reason some of the sketches like the spanish inquisition have become part of the language.
the films still hold up, life of brian and holy grail are ace

>don't realise how many other, better programmes there are
Like? I can't recall a single better show that was airing at that time

What the fuck was a better comedy show than Monty Python's Flying Circus? I'll wait.

>hitchhiker's guide to galaxy
Look I seriously hate british people and their entire shitty culture but even I have to take a minute to defend them from that, Hitchhiker's guide is pure fucking cancer while Britain is only about 95%

>literary work that disaply british humor
Tristram Shandy (Lawrence STerne)
Some of Oscar Wilde's lesser works like the Canterville Ghost
And above all Saki. Anything by Saki.

Spike milligan.

Just watch Peep Show, Coupling and IT Crowd

>coupling
holy shit kys

peep show

Dunno but I’m watching The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and, OP, I encourage you to watch it

Zadie Smith - White Teeth is pretty funny