/scandinavian literature/ - ibsen edition

I'll have to write an essay about Ibsen's Doll's House this friday. What are your opinions and takes on this play?

I once heard a theory that Ibsen wasn't trying to criticize the society, he was simply writing about those kind of things because they were edgy and taboo. Would anybody elaborate on this theory, or is it just bullshit?

Also, feel free to discuss Scandinavian literature. These threads are usually comfy each time I make them.

Attached: ibsen1.jpg (340x237, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

houseofnames.com/shakespeare-family-crest)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump, common guys

Should all of those French/English/German/etc. authors of Scandinavian descent be considered Scandinavian writers? Shakespeare is a Scandinavian name, for example.

No. Descent is irrelevant. What matters is the language they wrote in.

imo descent is not completely irrelevant, i'm pretty sure i've seen ways in which it affects things

The only Scandinavian book I have read is Pan by Knut Hamsun

It is irrelevant when it comes to literature.

I have some of Ibsen's work including A Doll House. I'll probably read it soon, is it worth it, OP?

I think that James Joyce's writing has qualities which are only present because he is Irish

But what does that have to do with anything?

Er du selv skandi?
Next up: Growth of the soil. As comfy as it gets

I think that I have seen that English writers of Scandinavian descent have particular qualities

I read it as the wife being conscious of a condition of modernity that her husband was (willfully? ) Ignorant of.
The name of the play itself is suggestive of the wife's dissociation. Her life is a doll house. It doesn't feel real. Had it not been for social latitudes afforded by technology, she wouldn't have had some other object to weigh her own life against and would have been happy, unaware of the existence of any other possibility, and convinced that her real life was indeed a real life. She felt that her life wasn't meeting some sort of intangible collective expectation of legitimacy.

Maybe, but they're ultimately English writers.

Shakespeare is not a scandinavian name, there are literally 0 notable Scandinavian with that name. It's from middle English.

List of good Danish writers:
H.C. Andersen
End of list.

How can a culture be this devoid of talent anons?

Ibsen wrote in Danish. He was technically a Danish writer.

Ibsen was born in Norway, died in Norway, wrote most of his players in Germany, and while he wrote in Danish and published through a Danish publicist, by that standard we could call most early American writers English writers instead.

He was a Danish-language Norwegian writer, yes.

So far the best Scandinavian writers that I’ve read have been Knut Hamsun, Erlend Loe, and Gunnhild Oyehaug

>i've seen ways in which it affects things
Exemplify

So the contention that Danish people can't write stands unchallenged.

Kierkegaard
Blixen
Oehlenschläger
Holberg

Smut, svensker

Kierkegaard was a terrible writer.
Blixen is just generally bad
Oehlenschläger came second in the only contest he's known for, wrote a bunch of plays nobody gives a shit about, and... uhhh, Oh yeah I guess he wrote a shitty song.
Holberg is good.

Selma Lagerlöf's great, one of the staples of Swedish lit—Gösta Bergling in particular is phenomenal reflection on love and duty and self sacrifice.

Also, if you can read Swedish: read Lagerlöf's (distant relation to Selma) translation of Homer. It's divine in its hexameter, I've not seen an English translation that matches it.

Yet nothing worth reading has been written in Norwegian. They're the niggers of Scandinavia.

Strindberg is cool although he comes off as a cucked feminist in some parts of his work (he thought, for example, that men and women are actually quite similar and that women might one day be capable of being worthy enough to vote in elections)

Its a short read. Just do it and find out for yourself

Yes, I am Norwegian.

Great take!

Read Jon Fosse. One of the greatest writers of our age.

Are you the same guy that is always praising the Lagerlöf trabslation? I see your posts in all scandy threads! Haven't got to read it yet, but I am reading either Lagerlöf or a Norwegian prose version og Homer next time I read him.

Bump

Ibsen is a fucking coward for not showing the kids.

I read on this website (houseofnames.com/shakespeare-family-crest) that it's a Norman name

Is Munk any good?

Pan is about failing to become an adult and dying

Not him but I praise Lagerlöf’s translation from time to time as well. Genuinely amazing.