What's so good about this dude's prose? Why do you praise it so much, Yea Forums...

What's so good about this dude's prose? Why do you praise it so much, Yea Forums? Give me 1 (one) reason to think that this boring ass drunkard wrote anything of worth. Just read Portrait of The Arist. Shit sucks.

Attached: james_joyce.jpg (400x300, 47K)

>change my already heavily entrenched opinion that i have no intention of actually changing
>protip: you literally can't

I just finished Ulysses a couple of months ago and I was way out of my depth on that one. The parts I actually understood were very interesting though. Maybe I'll pick it up again in twenty years and hopefully appreciate it more.

Not really, i don't hate the fart man's prose or whatever. I just don't see it being good. Convince me otherwise. Show me how his prose could be considered good and not the snooze incoherent fest that it is.
Also, stream of conciousness is nothing like actual thought. The realist "- he thought." is closer to how people actually think than the whole modernist shtick.

FPBP

Show me how his prose can be considered bad, oh pee.

I'm not interested in trying to prove it's bad, i'm interested in understanding why does Yea Forums, apparently, likes it so much. Say it to me then, what is it about him that you like so much?

In order to best explain, I'd first need to know what you dislike about it and why.

No you don't, that's stupid. Imagine saying "first in order to explain what i like about my girlfriend, i need to know what you dislike about her, and why".
Tell me right now why do you think Joyce is good, if you think so.

Only read Dubliners. The main two things I like about his writing is that he's able to describe the beauty in the mundane and he is able to portray complicated emotions and internal arcs without busting into an endless internal monologue.

What if I like my girlfreind because of the absence of faults?

Then that wouldn't be related to the discussion at all. Do not run, friend. You must expose what's so good about Joyce and his fart fertish right NOW.

Jouce is good because he has no faults.

But what about Joyce?

Ho ho ho.

Not the best of zingers, but so wasn't yours. Tell me, friend, what wonders of the Joycean style made you so in love with him?

I like that his prose is faultless.

Tbh it's not like you can expect much more eloquence than that from Yea Forums posters. Thanks for your service, friend.

I prefer Nabokov

i've only finished dubliners, but i reccomend it if you haven't read it user. it's actually pretty dark and deals with some heavy themes, but it's written in such a way where you can almost skim over it without noticing if you're not careful. a lot of the stories don't have traditionally satisfying endings, which leaves the reader to kinda piece together what they were supposed to take away from it. a lot of the stories have a mysterious atmosphere to them.

also he was just a good writer, his prose is interesting and quirky without being obnoxious (in dubliners anyway, i know Ulysses and finnegan's wake are different stories). He's good at writing completely plainly for a couple pages then completely taking you off guard with stunningly beautiful and profound emotion and imagery

I answered your question.

I thanked your service.

read this sentence and tell me it's not obvious
>Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

I replied "I answered you question."

my god this is an insufferable conversation

Butt out, butthead.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious he has undiagnosed psychosis

purple prose

What part, specifically?

Attached: file.png (625x351, 371K)

Back to goodreads, faggot

i dont think that even fits here. its worse than purple prose because its almost rendered incomprehensible by the language mixture or whatever the fuck joyce does. tell me you unironically knew what "were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface." meant the first time you read it.

>im a goodreads faggot because i dont pretend to understand gibberish and spend my entire life dissecting the linguistics and diction of a single book
pseud gaylord

>first time you read it

Because it's the popular consensus among scholars. I always follow the popular consensus among scholars, don't you?

Try reading it aloud

i love how no one has read joyce's books on here but everyone is familiar with the fart letter

shit, that made my whole body tingle

I mean, it's his masterpiece. Everyone is probably familiar with the Commedia and not so much with the other Dante works.

Not only is it simply writing of a high quality, but the level of knowledge he must have had to write works like Ulysses and Finnegans Wake is also absolutely extraordinary.

wut

>Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo

I think this man went mad

On a serious note this is a deeply irish/anglo book

>anglo
>he didn't read the section of Ulysses bashing the shit out of anglos
imagine being this much of a pleb.

Seconding this. English isn't a particularly flowing or beautiful sounding language, that Joyce could arrange passages with the musical quality that he did is one of the most impressive things I've read.
He's also very good at capturing a specific sort of melancholia, but relatably, without feeling over the top

Why does normies like Circe so much?

bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

anyone else think the execution description in Cyclops was hilarious?

The citizen was based and Blooms jesus argument was cringe

>On a serious note this is a deeply irish/anglo book
yes. op is a ghetto black unmoved by joy division

yeah, the filthy semite.
pity Garryowen didn't bite off his bollocks
did give me some pause in my current criticisms, but i realized that i was probably being swept into some eruv of ensorcellment.
best to keep my golemnities to safer pastures perhaps. but must wend my way through these pages for my pridesakes.