Existence of God

What evidence can I derive from the bible text and history that God does exist? I want to believe

Attached: bible-image.jpg (960x600, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_ontological_proof
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i ask from this board since Yea Forums seems to know their stuff

I mean the only "evidence" of God is through revelation, so I guess the Bible itself is both the proof and the pudding?

But as far as I can figure that thinking is only convincing if you're already a believer, which I am not

Nothing can, including religious texts. Study philosophy, theoretical physics, theology, and make your own judgment of whether god exists. Only then are you qualified to subscribe to religion (of which you’ve also done research)

>What evidence can I derive from the bible text and history that God does exist?
The wonders

Attached: godnietzsche.jpg (720x293, 20K)

Put your hand in front of you, do you see it?
That's God's creation.
Now touch your face with the same hand.
Can you feel it?
God gave you the gift of sense.
Get up from your chair and walk.
Just imagine all the calculations that took for the muscles to be arranged in such a way that you can move around.
Basically, God is a craftstman. Just take in your surroundings and think. How can all this be a coincidence, just a stroke of luck? Everything's too complexly designed for there to not be a creator behind it.

Attached: urewelcome.jpg (475x644, 83K)

>I don’t understand how faith works: the post
Empiricism has really done a number on people, trying to prove god is real is futile and makes you look stupid

Read Kierkegaard, Pascal, and William James. Proving God's existence is useless.

i see people have faith, but jesus had to prove that he was God right?

any specific works? and also why is it useless?

If God has decided that he refused to prove his own existence, why assume that we, any human mind, could ever do it?

Ive always thought about this before, you cant start life from non life etc. everything is so fit for life

when did he refuse? If he sent his son, the perfect embodiment of how we should live, isnt that showing all of man that that he is here?

This can and has been denied. Even the historical existence of Jesus can't be asserted.

While I as a "believer" can agree with this argument, I think this is too weak an argument to convince non-believers.

Let's keep going from here. I believe atheism is part of the maturation of one's spiritual life. It is necessary to shed oneself of outward, form-based religions which focus only on outward representation, blind belief, and ritual just because.

Without the experience of God - - without mystical experience - - the existence of God cannot be attested. Believing in God without ever having felt Him is, in my view, to be doomed. What motivates this belief if not Fear, or perhaps Duty? (While I agree that Duty is important)

"Feeling" God is not the same as "Knowing" Him. I think we can all agree that it is impossible to Know God. We cannot know What, but we can know How. We can come to know the Effects of which He is a Cause.

Furthermore, Revelation is possible and anyone may attain it. However, this attainment is accidental, or perhaps one can say that it can't be provoked by one's Will and it falls on God to decide whether or not you're worthy of experiencing such Revelation.

However, God's existence can be logically proved if you define God in some other ways. If you define God as Existence, then we can agree that the Totality of All That Has Ever Existed, which is Omnipresent, Omniscient, and Omnipotent (Existence is everywhere; all that is known is known within Existence and through Existence; all that that is done is done within Existence and through Existence), we can agree that God exists, if we consider Him to be That.

However, what about other attributed commonly ascribed to God, such as having a Will, or of being an Ordaining Principle, the Logos etc? This can also be known through reason, but unless experienced it will all only be a multitude of words and concepts dancing around in one's mind.

I believe there is one way to get to know God as it is possible for man to know Him, considering the boundary of his limits: "Ask and ye shall receive".

Ask. Seek. Go after God. Pray so that God may present Himself to you. Not out of some whim, but sincerely. God loves Humility. God loves and Is Truth. Sacrifice bad habits for the sake of making yourself worthy of Revelation. Practice religion. Pray, meditate, fast. Religion is practice.

I hope this is of help.

I really wish that God would have revealed himself to me. but alas, it's all probably a spook.

how so? if jesus is mentioned in history books and is held on being a man who really lived by historical professionals, how can it be denied and not asserted?

What's the point? If he does, he doesn't want to interact with you (or anyone) so it is as if he doesn't exist

Deuteronomy 4:29
>But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Proverbs 8:17
>I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.
Jeremiah 29:13
>You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.
Matthew 7:7-8
>Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
Isaiah 55:6-7
>Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Lamentations 3:25
>The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.
James 4:8
>Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
2 Chronicles 7:14
>If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Matthew 5:6
>Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

If you want to find god, explore religions; their texts, rituals, prayers, trinkets, etc. Perhaps your heart doesn't lie in Christianity.

You can't derive evidence for faith, because it is an intensely personal thing. All holy books have are stories and written proclamations, no evidence. It's the same way you can force conversion but not belief.

who needs evidence when you can proof god exists through modal logic?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_ontological_proof

Your comming at it innately from the wrong angel if you ask for empirical evidence. Its about faith and extistentialism. its about the 99th percentil that Science cannot by definition prove. Science only examines how things tend to work not the underlying WHY. DESU i was an atheist until i read Plato and aristotle. From there I got into Augustine and the rest was history.

>PLATO

Are you a featherless chicken too you fucking numbskull LOL

Attached: diogenes.jpg (1800x1322, 1.05M)

Diogenes posters should be contained to reddit. Your shit philosopher made no impact on the field and people only remember him for being the ancient equivalent to Rick and Morty.

ugh. I believe in a god and you are the worst possible theist.

I mean, not to discount philosophers who actually wrote things but, there are only some things that we can know by proving to other people that they're wrong. Diogenes might not have done that, but he certainly embodies that idea.

Somebody in another Bible thread posted a Yale lecture about the Bible where the professor said the Bible is not a work of theology. You want arguments and evidence of the existence of God, you read somebody like Descartes, not the Bible.

Why? its part of pretty much all doctrines. From Augustine and Catholicism, to Kierkegaard and existentialists. Faith is the virtue of Christianity, it seeks to make a connection between the finite and infinite. Can you name me a single non obscure tradition that does not champion this?

Kinda this.

I do not disagree with you, but he is just one person in a line of the already established Cynicism branch of philosophy. Bringing him up is just like bringing up a rando follower of Kantian imperatives. Who cares from a philosophical sense? The best he is is a case study, because he lived along side much more notible figures like alexander and Plato. Cynics before him and after him have been much more nuance with their undertakings.

You need tradition to enforce and justify your beliefs? The thing that changes constantly? You're trying to understand something that is infinite and ineffable through limited and obvious human practices?

>You're trying to understand something that is infinite and ineffable through limited and obvious human practices?

That is literally the point that I was making. Faith fills that gap of the unknown

>You need tradition to enforce and justify your beliefs?

No, but i was explaining a core thoroughfare that is expressed in pretty much every interpretaton. I wasnt being bound by tradition, I was trying to encompass a wide range of interpretations.

As far as I understand it, faith is just that. Reason only comes in to give that faith a more concrete shape.

I prayed to God to give me a sign that he exists. The next day I was walking outside and saw a small chalkboard sign in front of a store that said "You asked for a sign - God."

Read the seven penitential Psalms out loud sincerely.

Watch veggitales retard

he must have been really pissed about the stone tablets to switch to just scribbling some chalk on a chalkboard

>poetry is evidence
How are you Christfags even able to bathe and feed yourselves?

We built western civilization, thats how.