What’s magical realism?

Attached: F0AF504C-CA71-4868-B4B3-96C77627550A.jpg (750x370, 87K)

Spic folktales

Surrealism as written by nonwhites.

Its a feeling, user.

Most of them aren't folk tales.
It's not surrealism.
Stories with fantasy elements which are ultimately rooted in reality or that take reality as a starting point. See: Universal History of Infamy by Borges or One Hundred Years of Solitude by García Márquez.

When I was younger my dad gave me a giant book full of opticial illusions. I think this one was on the cover. I’ve still got it somewhere.

nice story.

Realism, but with magic

Well, not that far from reality. Latin American literature has deep roots in traditional folk tales, which blended with Spanish medieval tradition.

I really think most of magical realism works are under-appreciated by whities because they do not share the common cultural background that most of these stories carry.

An interesting example: When discussing OHYoS with anglos the amount of time discussing incest is unnecessarily large. While discussing it whit Spanish speakers, where sex and even incest is not-so-unheard-of, the main focus is the capitalist invasion and the massacre, which reflects real killings occurred during dictator-time Latin America, which, for what I understand, was the real objective of the author.

The confusion/ambiguity between the physical and the symbolical?

more like the distorsion between the fantastic and the real.

>I really think most of magical realism works are under-appreciated by whities because they do not share the common cultural background that most of these stories carry.
Can you name a few besides One Hundred Years of Solitude?

Pedro Páramo

It's fantasy but nobody treats it like it's fantasy.
Both in the books themselves and outside of them lmao

Latins are white
they're fucking white

Men of Maize

>in art
Basically it's surrealism but less "wacky" per-se. There is little to no automatism. The art focuses more on optical illusions and/or painting in a semi-realistic style with aspects of fantasy. You can see this in painter such as Edward Hopper (whose stark contrasts in light give his art an almost uncomfortable metaphysical anxiety), Eyvind Earle, Giorgio de Chirico (some consider him a magic realist, but I disagree. His own term "metaphysical art" fits him better) and mostly Rob Gonsalves.
It's a lot less focused on the unconscious than surrealism. You don't get any of the odd juxtapositions of objects like in a Dali, or Magritte etc. Even then they're very loosely defined. It's something very visually defined.

>in literature
I'd say it's a lot of the same in literature. Something like Life of Pi (yeah its a YA novel but I don't give a shit), anything by Murakami or any of the latin american stuff is gonna be really different than stuff like Lautreament, The Blind Owl, Aurelia, Hebdomeros, Nadja or even Story of the Eye. A lot of magic realism have more cohesive plots and are more grounded in reality whereas surrealism is a pure mindfuck.

But again, even here it's still really loosely defined. It's not a black and white answer. Some consider the magic realists surrealist. It's like music genres maybe. A band could be classified as space rock but also as psychedelic rock.

Cuando Juan vuela por las plantaciones de platano

Paradiso by Lezama Lima

>they're fucking white

i don't think so, gringo. maybe 'white' skin, mestizo for most but not *white*.

Cry harder, gringo.

I think the same happens with The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It's hard to appreciate that book if you're not a Spanish-speaking latino, IMO. A lot of people here seem to have tons of disdain for it, but in the context of magical realism and modern Latinamerican/Latino immigrant culture, the book is really well-narrated and makes a lot of sense as a stylistic follow-up to the Boom's magical realism and the themes of power consistently presented by dudes like GGM and Vargas Llosa.

I swear I'm not an SJW.

Metal Gear Solid.

please post the name and some pics, I'm interested

fantasy written by spics

It's realism essentially. A real reality but with magical thinking.

When crazy shit happens and there is no explanation about how it happened or an established system that should allow it to happen.

Ballsy fake news

Why Yea Forums hivemind doesn't like Borges yet can't pretend he is for the pseuds? Both because of the Magical Realism.

holy fuck that painting is epic

Attached: 1547364497630.png (278x181, 6K)

For kids
like you

Best answer ITT