So the real villain was the patriarchy?

So the real villain was the patriarchy?

Attached: from-hell1.jpg (629x842, 140K)

Pretty sure it was the English crown. Queen Victoria literally orders the murders.

Queen Victoria was a trap.

yes

Oh ok, I thought it was something bad or evil.

Sort of. Part of Gull's murder ritual is sacrificing the harlots to keep feminity shackled. But he was working alone, the visions he had were his own, nobody else ordered him to do anything other than silence the girls. If you want to take Gull as the standin for patriarchy itself, I guess that's an interpretation.

Queen Victoria wanted the scandal silenced before it blew up. Gull suggested killing them to make the silence a certainty

the real patriarchy was the friends we made along the way

I really need a friend like Netley. Someone willing to stand by me in my best of times (upstanding doctor and freemason) and my worst (delusional prophet and freemason)

Get u a man who can do both

>I will make manifest the psychic undercurrents of society, create a symbol for the unconscious english mind, what england at her height truly represented
Lol a pentagram and dead whores.

scorn not the symbols. despite their sheer banality they are no less potent, less terrible

I read it a long time ago and I don't remember much except the part where he time traveled. What was up with that?

The symbols of the past are still relevant today or something

Do I have to be into weird occult shit like Alan Moore is to understand?

he was conjuring the future into being. there's an abrupt cut to two austrians having sex and the woman has a vision of a synagogue opening its doors and disgorging a river of blood. the idea is that the mechanization of victorian society, as represented by Gull, gave birth to the 20th century horrors of world wars and the holocaust.

you don't need to be into the symbols themselves, more the psychological and spiritual impact symbols can have on people

gull's ritual was actually magic and he broke through time and was given some divine sight over eternity

it'd help to better understand some things but no it's not required. and often when there's occult stuff moore himself tries to weave in an explanation anyway

yes, like in real life

It helps if you know a little because at its best it gives you that cool feeling you felt as a teenager when you first got into conspiracies and the occult. At its worst it is just a lot of pretentious wank to say "capitalism and monarchy and sexism bad"

I just thought to re-read this today.
hello thread

Which edition?

the 2006 top shelf edition