Has being well read actually helped your life at all?

Attached: image.gif (388x394, 85K)

I would say I've benefited from reading. I don't think I'd call myself well read.

>well read
>Yea Forums
pick 1

I tested perfectly on verbal stuff getting into college and graduate school, but you could argue that pursuing those did more harm than good.

Yes
Burgers in lit will end up in a single place
That place is the 1st Amendment
some end up in the 2nd Amendment and on the news

>pursuing those did more harm than good
based

Based boys

Its a decent cope

Yes, I get laid constantly because of it.

Yes, because the development of the mind is an end in and of itself.

Attached: IronicallySumgAnimeGirl.jpg (361x426, 32K)

Yes, honestly. I think it made me less neurotic for some reason.

Its helped me understand some of the influences to popular works, mainly in how hack-y some "auteurs" are

bah, reading is my life

It made me realize there is no class of people out there who actually understand things properly. I assumed there was, but it's just a bunch of slightly smarter and more knowledgeable retards.

Nope, i dropped reading 3 years ago and i've forgotten all the intricate plots and great ideas of those books.
just landed here by coincidence btw

Yeah. I get published easily and got few jobs in the so called art world because a person who actually reads exceeds what an artsy pseudo intellectual narcissistic druggy can comprehend and is praised for literally skills and knowledge.

Attached: 1422233644657.jpg (315x475, 67K)

literature isn't self-help. it should hurt you. you should be made more dysfunctional with every page, paralyzed.

It helped having some things to talk about in academic interviews and when I’ve had to schmooze with art types and successful friends of family. Plus it’s made me a happier more self aware person

Not "being well read" but "reading well".

Attached: schop.jpg (1007x1294, 371K)

Yes, in many ways. It's made me more employable, enabled me to form relationships with intelligent women who have no romantic interest in uneducated men, and most importantly it's furnished my mind with beautiful images and noble thoughts, making life more bearable.

I’m still miserable but even less invested in climbing out of the hole because I know just how much worse it could be and yet, it’s all still bearable, I’ll continue on wherever the years decide to take me, at least I will suffer interestingly

All the failures of my character were enhanced the moment I picked up philosophy

Elaborate

Absolutely. The benefits of being well read are somewhat forgotten nowadays when we perceive that all knowledge is merely a search away, but having knowledge actually in your brain enables you to make connections between ideas quickly and intuitively. This is beneficial in every singly aspect of life.

>▶
Nigger you know for damn sure that most people reading harry potter wouldn't understand a bit of those pretentious books.

People who don't have the capacity to understand the books won't get a god damn thing out of them. If you show a 5th grader one of those books, they'll shit in your fucking mouth and call you a shit-eating faggot. The reason why Harry Potter was so popular was because it was accessible, people could read it easily, and people could relate to it easily. People aren't all smart-ass fucks who think that emo/artsy/deep bullshit is choice. If you give those hard ass books to kids, they're going to hate reading and not read shit.

Reading something is easily better than not reading. Teaching kids to enjoy reading is far more valuable than forcing old books down their throat. I was told to read crime and punishment in high school, you know what I did, I just got drunk and smoked weed instead and didn't read the damn book. That's what happens when you push people above their comfort zone, they're likely to push back, give up, break down, or fuck off.

Also, pages don't mean shit. I'm sure Harry Potter has large font, and the amount of analysis required of each line is much lower. This allows people to read the book. It's not about "page", it's about one's capacity to read, the rate at which one can fully read and understand a page. If you can read and understand 5 pages of Harry Potter compared to 1 page of Dante, then functionally the length of Harry Potter is 20% of the number of pages it has, when using Dante as the standard.

I was a kid when harry potter came out, you know what I did, I pretended to read that shit for a day because cool kids were doing it in school, then I said fuck that reading is gay. You know what happened next? Reading continued to be gay forever. I was a little kid and I could understand that.

Even though reading is gay, it's an important skill. The amount of books that are gay as fuck, just full of stupid fucking drivel, is the reason why I steer away from that shit. Why would I read some shit when I know better than most of these asshats? Why would I consult an idiot for any sort of insight?

How am I such a reliable source of truth? When you don't read, you are forced to think for yourself, you are forced to use your mind to analyze reality and deduce the accurate understanding in order to survive. You train your mind to think, rather than parrot some gay ass quotes you heard from some douchebag who's literally only famous because allows you to pretend, to believe, that the cunt of a human you are doesn't stink as fucking bad as it truly does.

Fuck books. Just kidding, books are ok, but just like with the gays you need to be incredible careful of you'll get AIDS, psychological AIDS, that so many people who read those "deep, meaningful, historic" books end up with. You end up with airs, you end up being a pretentious faggot. Fuck books for doing that to people.

Second is the right to own and bear arms. He's referencing mass shooters

It's gotten me laid a handful of times, but in retrospect I think this may have made my life worse.

Basado

How can it help you get laid if women don't read anything outside of YA novels?

Go outside sometime, fresh air will do ya well

>How am I such a reliable source of truth? When you don't read, you are forced to think for yourself, you are forced to use your mind to analyze reality and deduce the accurate understanding in order to survive. You train your mind to think, rather than parrot some gay ass quotes you heard from some douchebag who's literally only famous because allows you to pretend, to believe, that the cunt of a human you are doesn't stink as fucking bad as it truly does.
I unironically agree. Great post

Only men are autistic enough to read outdated complicated books.
Women are incapable of putting in effort into understanding anything that doesn't pertain them personally.

How many piss bottles are in your room rn

If you build Charisma, being well read lets you build a idea of what cynicism is. That be helpful, but not directly.
Beyond that, reading is a mandatory skill to get anywhere, people do not want to be honest.

I am not well read

Honestly I wish I never got into reading for the fact that I can't talk to anyone about the books I've read. I would kill to have somebody to talk to who is reading the same book as me, to discuss it with them and how it makes them feel and all that. But reading has just made me lonelier than before so to answer your question, no, it has done the opposite

I think it has made me more well-rounded and humble person. As I read more, I realize how little I actually know.

No it's still a fucking nightmare. I've lost all ability to talk to other human beings - everything just relates to some kind of literature I've read - it's an eternal clusterfuck of metareferences that only I get, pulling me down, always down.

yes it gives me a leg up on many forms of discussion

You're the worst kind of pleb. Thinking that kids won't like reading these books despite you having never opened them. You fancy yourself a free thinker but you're just parroting the opinion that old books are hard when they actually survived time because they are accessible to everyone.
You don't need a PhD to read the Odyssey, you don't need to analyse every single line, it's a great adventure story that entertains even without looking at all the subtext or reading it with the context in mind.
Books aren't gay, you're the one who can't take the dumbness cock or of your mouth.