She is the greatest poet of the English language since Shakespeare

She is the greatest poet of the English language since Shakespeare.

Attached: 71FC05F5-120B-4817-8B25-7D6930C49ABF.jpg (296x376, 69K)

i went to that bitch's house last may...it was boring

also took my dick out on her grave

She's good but I find her and Shakespeare more clever than enjoyable as poets.

You didn’t deserve to go.

Stop overrating the importance of metaphor

Who is enjoyable as a poet to you then?

i had to for a class

But she mastered it

but why did she have to be so damn obscure

Fine but except for her metaphors she was mediocre

Carl Sandburg and Herman Hesse

Yes.

Sandburg is a discount Williams, and I thought Hesse wrote primarily in German.

I disagree. She manages to synthesize an expression of great passion and meditative atmosphere so frequently, and so concisely, I wonder how she came to exist in America at all. It wasn’t just metaphor she excelled at, but the profundity of themes, mixed with the occasional whimsy, even sensuality, it’s all brilliant to me. And all the while condensing it to maybe, 12 lines tops? She says more in two stanzas than Romantics could say in ten. Dickinson is a poet one can and should revisit endlessly, for her genius only grows more apparent.

True some of her stuff is incredibly opaque, but for the most part I’d say it’s digestible if you just read it intuitively and don’t worry about a line-by-line analysis.

I said two poets I enjoy more. Hesse is German ik. I never read Williams, always wanted to though.

Except if you forget the other great English poets since Shakespeare.

Well I understand that distinction then. You’d probably enjoy Stevens and Yeats if you aren’t already a fan.

Who? Milton, Pope, Tennyson, Keats, Blake, Yeats? Yeats holds a candle, Blake and Keats a little behind. The rest, not so much.

She is the eleventh Muse.

Yeats is neat from the little I've read. I need to read both. Thank you for the recommendations.

Don't forget Emerson

Milton is superior. Dickinson never wrote something as great as Paradise Lost. Just little poems here and there.

It wasn’t her style. Paradise Lost is a feat that does place Milton up with Shakespeare and Chaucer, but Dickinson’s innovations likewise place her among those heights in my opinion. Sure she never wrote an epic, but Milton never said “As all the Heavens were a Bell, and Being, but an Ear” or anything of the sort. Milton crafted a very good epic but Dickinson brought something much more unique to the canon imo.

Too bad she wasted her sharp talents in gay little sad poems. But oh well, what can be expected from a woman.

Keats and Shelley are the best English poets and I will never alter my opinion on this.

I feel like Poe's poetry was so overrated by some that it becomes underrated. Annabel Lee in particular is one of the simplest but truly ethereal poems.

Poe’s prose>Poe’s poetry

>also took my dick out on her grave
Did you COOM?

How do you think she comes?

dick in son

The least stinky turd is still a turd

Dare you see a Soul at the White Heat?
Then crouch within the door—
Red—is the Fire’s common tint—
But when the vivid Ore

Has vanquished Flame’s conditions—
It quivers from the Forge