Well, this is Guardian's top 100 best books of 21st century

Well, this is Guardian's top 100 best books of 21st century.
Never heard nothing about Hillary Mantel. Top 3 is filled by three women.
Thoughts?
theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/21/best-books-of-the-21st-century

Attached: 2560.jpg (1900x1140, 322K)

>tfw they put three women in the top

Attached: lucioano.jpg (800x450, 86K)

Thanks for telling me which ones to avoid

Most of the list is thrash, with some noteable exceptions. Egan, Knausgaard, Ishiguro, Sebald, McCarthy and Roth are good inclusions. Guardian doesn't have a clue it seems like. There's a lot of interesting contemporary fiction out there if you bother looking.

both males are jewish, some of the women as well

>Guardian doesn't have a clue it seems like
They know what they are doing and it has nothing to do with good literature.
They're trying to promote an ideology.

is Yuval a flavor of the month or is he actually good? I have heard both opinions here, normies seem to consider him an unbiased historian as if he was a God send.

If you believe that this list is anything other than marketing and propaganda, you're a fucking idiot.
>not even 1/4 way into 21st century
>all reviews and links tunnel you to their bookshop

some of the books are good, but most are shit please-buy-rights-for-movie.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 54K)

>Top 3 is filled by three women.
The entire list can be disregarded as ideological.

Goon Squad, The Argonauts, and Gilead deserve to be in the top 100. My top 10 would probably be Lerner, Dewitt, Bolaño

>My top 10 would probably be Lerner, Dewitt, Bolaño
Putain les mecs... Nelson is horseshit btw. Can’t believe I actually read Argonauts. Thank God it was short enough. That college-crowd literature is more or less physically repulsing to me I must admit.

*repulsive

>Never heard nothing about Hillary Mantel.
The absolute fucking state of Yea Forums.

It's a pretty good list, I'd say at least 75% of those books are well worth reading.

>Twenty-four years after her first novel, Housekeeping, Marilynne Robinson returns with an intimate tale of three generations from the Civil War to the twentieth century: a story about fathers and sons and the spiritual battles that still rage at America's heart. Writing in the tradition of Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman, Marilynne Robinson's beautiful, spare, and spiritual prose allows "even the faithless reader to feel the possibility of transcendent order" (Slate). In the luminous and unforgettable voice of Congregationalist minister John Ames, Gilead reveals the human condition and the often unbearable beauty of an ordinary life.

Am I the only one who hates family sagas? I utterly, sincerely despise them, and I see so often that agents specifically seek them out. Why? Most of us hate our own families, why would we want to read about some asshole's fictional shitbag family? It comes off as petty gossip in prose format. An entire genre for smallbrains whose lives circle around Facebook and text messengers.

And apparently this is a series book, too. I'm just imagining 2000 pages of forced drama and boring conversations between boring characters.

Where should I go with dewitt after sisters bros

>no 2666

Look at this list. Can it get more dull than this?

Which tactic?

>wrote a book about what it means to be a black man in America
>wrote about slavery in the deep south
So apparently virtue signaling trumps literary quality. Bloom was right about these faggots. Fuck the School of Resentment.

>Graphic """""NOVEL""""

Into le trash

>anglo

Yeah, no thanks

Just read sapiens. He breaks history into ideologies instead of events. Put it down once he gets past imperialism or attempts to see the future because that's retarded spectualization

What social justice is at its core is admitting that white people won the game of risk so fucking hard that they feel that they were picking on a retard. Social justice is throwing round two out of pity for a retard and you are a bad person and immoral bully if you disagree.

Naomi Klein?
Lmfao
They didn’t even bother to make this list seem legitimate

I'm okay with Gilead at number two. It's a wonderful novel, better than many of the classics I've read. However, Wolf Hall certainly isn't better than Austerlitz. In fact I'd say Bring Up the Bodies surpasses Wolf Hall in most respects. And in place of one of their nonfiction selections I would have add Lee Smolin's The Trouble with Physics.

>half of the thread is shitting on the list while acknowledging they've never read them
god you pseudo faggots have tanked this board so hard even Yea Forums looks better
>Most of us hate our own families,
lmao quit projecting you rootless cuck

>Most of us hate our own families
Not where I'm from. I love my family and virtually all my friends love their families too. Family sagas are based. Don't you like Russian classics?

Seems like a list you would make if you were trying to sell a lot of shit books to plebs.

What a coincidence that women happen to the best three writers of this century so far. I guess that good ol' patriarchy really did a number on them for 2000 years to suppress all that talent. They're just desperate for some female stars because all they have is Jane Austin and the Brontë sisters. Maybe Madame de Staël if they're actually into literature and not into the stuff we read when we were 15.

I also ctrl+F'd "Taleb", considering there's non-fiction on there as well, and there's 0 results. Not even The Black Swan, which predicted the 2008 financial crisis. Not even Antifragile, his best work. Absolute trash list.

I get that they wanted to shoehorn Rowling in there, but why the hell would you The Goblet of Fire? Halfblood Prince was my favorite as a kid, and I think Order of the Phoenix is generally regarded as the best. GoF sounds like the most stupid entry, and it has a ridiculous plot.

I feel the same. and it's so tempting to just write some pandering garbage about the struggles of brown people (at a time when the cities are minority white to begin with and every company PREFERS to hire a brown over a white). pandering is almost a guarantee of publishment. that or holocaust reiterations. how many books do we have about the holodomor? how many do we have about the holocaust? i rest my case.

certain groups are absolutely favoritised. and i see extremely low quality novels that are either about browns or written by browns that get published by the dozen when the quality is about what you'd find in on fanfiction sites.

these awards are a circus of dick suckers gathering in a circle-suck. pandering little cunt club that monopolized all the major publishing houses and award organizations, creating their own echo chamber and pushing their own garbage, narrow interests over anything about quality, merit, or creativity.

Brothers K is alright because I can jive with the idea of being stilted by your asshole of a father.

>how many books do we have about the holodomor? how many do we have about the holocaust? i rest my case.
There were multiple books on that list about the evil commies, Liberals hate the Soviet Union and North Korea. And that Applebaum "Red Famine" book has been all over every bookstore I've been to for years now. Oh wait, you just wanted them to focus on the event with a name that SOUNDS like "holocaust" to you, because you're clearly an expert on these events.

Halfblood Prince was my favorite as well, I remember being surprised by the twists at the end. The Goblet is, in retrospective, an anime tournament arc, but it also feels like the moment Rowling started to give a fuck about the plot.

which is why the liberal asspain about gulag archipelago exists.
>comparing two genocides during a similar era isn't a fair comparison
ok retard

I really want to write something about "the struggles of being a colored woman in America" or something and just pick a foreign-sounding pen name. And see what happens. Write some rupi kaur-like shitty poems and tack on an Arabic name. But I guess, in this day and age, they'll demand some kind of photo proof of yourself or a legit social media profile or whatever before you can get published. Like, they'll look you up and if you don't have an online presence, forget it.

wasn't there actually a guy who submitted the same poem (or short story?) using both an asian sounding name and a white sounding name, and the asian one got published while the white one was rejected?

Yeah but to be fair he submitted his poems or short stories or whatever to 8 publications, and only one accepted him. You can't be sure they wouldn't have accepted the same poem under his real name, either.

I hope you’re talking about the 1991 Brothers K and not The Brothers Karamazov
Those are two different books faggot

>mommy, look at me, i'm being autistic on the internet