If you haven't at least read the Iliad, you have no business posting on Yea Forums...

If you haven't at least read the Iliad, you have no business posting on Yea Forums. This is the basic bedrock of all of Western Civilization, if you haven't read it you are the definition of a pseud.

Attached: diomedes.jpg (266x457, 27K)

Poetry sucks.

Why the homophobia?

Your bar is too low, you should have said read all of the major Greeks

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the objective fact that poiesis is a non-teleological distraction.

If you read enough literature you basically learn the entire thing without even reading it anyway

I'm setting the bar so low in the futile hope that the average idiot of modern Yea Forums can crawl over it pathetically.

>non-teleological distraction
What should the Ideal Man be doing? What does his itinerary look like?

You hate gays bro?

Contemplating ever higher paradigms of teleological Sophia.

Wrong in so many ways.

This. After I swallowed the Greeks meme my days are filled with the beautiful images Homer created. So much of the ideas and feelings of Western man, but especially the ancients, fell into place. I feel like pretty much no literary criticism can be engaged in without first reading it as evidenced by the millions of people online who have such strong misconceptions about its content.

It wasn't even that long or difficult to read. I pushed it hard onto all my friends, none of whom are avid readers and/or very self conscious about their own abilities. Yet, for the one's who've taken or for the one's who listen to me discuss it, it's like a veil being lifted from their eyes as the true value that literature has slowly starts to sink in.

About to start my third read, thank you Yea Forums for pushing me into reading it :)

Attached: 1_EGnlKd7P_NzJbeNG2IugAw.png (1255x824, 1.44M)

Tell me why would anybody read the Iliad when you already know the story?

Seems pointless and waste of time. You are wasting your time reading the greek fleet listing while you can read something new that interests you.

What if Greek fleet listings do interest you?

>mfw muricans are going out of their way to read the Iliad.

Don't tell me the Iliad isn't mandatory reading in murican highschools? Here it is read at age 15.

Then you have tough luck, because it is very likely 100% fiction.

I'm Australian. Maybe in some schools, but for mine we barely covered Shakespeare let alone the classics.

The murcian friends I push it into, however, look at it in a totally different light once I explain it to them. Schools just suck the fun out of reading.

So?

No wonder muricans are such plebs.

in high school they made us read/anylize the entire poem in ancient greek.the only other work similarly treated was dante's commedia. i hated both of them but now not a week goes by that i don''t read a book from the iliad or a canto from the commedia.

>Maybe in some schools, but for mine we barely covered Shakespeare let alone the classics.
We did Shakespeare and Plato in my high-school.

I'm reading it now for the first time, although I had already read the Odyssey.

It depends on the school, but for most American public high schools, I would say no. The only Greek lit I was exposed to in high school was Oedipus.

We did some Shakespeare and Antigone, and you could do Beowulf if you wanted for the final exam, but most of it was devoted to Australian Yea Forums. Even then I couldn't tell you half the books we studied.

>Even then I couldn't tell you half the books we studied.
Yeah, I don't think that I could remember them either. And I don't think that any of my teachers were terribly enthused about Australian literature, either.

Can you even get it without secondary literature?

yes

>The Iliad is the basic bedrock of all of Western Civilization
*Blocks your path*

Attached: oswald-spengler.jpg (900x512, 48K)

Do you think that they were switched at birth? Also check'd.

Attached: Aleister_Crowley.jpg (630x871, 248K)

what country do you live in?

it's the Evangelion of literature

I don't get how people even think it's that hard to read. The few people that I know want to read it, don't do it because they believe it to be to hard.

Daily reminder that Dante never read Homer.

Depends on the translation