What is Yea Forums's opinion on Pushkin?

What is Yea Forums's opinion on Pushkin?

Attached: pushkin.jpg (450x600, 95K)

I cannot understand how you can be entertained by such simple fare-- tales which might have amused one's boyhood, of soldiers, and camps, villains, gallant heroes, and horses galloping over the wide open spaces, and tucked away in a suitable corner a beautiful maiden of about seventeen years of age to be rescued at a suitable moment... The Captain's Daughter... there was not a pin's worth of intellect in it... Tolstoy... did much the same thing but on a grander scale... Pushkin lived like a boy, wrote like a boy, and died like a boy... Captain's Daughter was good for
its period... people have become more complicated nowadays.

>filtered
Tell me more

i've never read any black writers, is he good?

Yeah but Eugene Onegin is certainly a novel of great emotional complexity, you must admit. And the boyish charm stuff often gives way to ennui.

That's literally a quote from James Joyce. Literally more patrician than you, me, and everyone on this site.

lol I love this post

pseudo-intellectuals fancy themselves as having the neuroplasticity to visit every region of time and space as an exhibit they can open themselves up to, as anthropologists, as empaths, as tourist -- but yet if you ask them what any of their favorite bands are they'll just tell you Radiohead.

>James Joyce
>pseudo-intellectual
user, I...

A favorite between the ages of 20 and 40, and thereafter. A genius.

Eugene Onegin. A great poem. Walter Arndt's translation is abominable.

>A genius.
that's an exaggeration

explain

A literary genius is someone like Shakespeare or Joyce. Pushkin is just alright.

The Queen of Spades is great

I don't know dude, I might like Pushkin more than Joyce.

The Shot and The Queen of Spades are so fucking good. It's literature extremely characteristic of its era but embodies in the best parts of it. Pushkin mainly inhabits the conscious and light side of life, while Gogol (along with ETA Hoffmann and specifically Melville's Moby-Dick) best exemplifies that dark side of peering into the unknown, where those demons unexorcised by the Enlightenment still lay even well into the 19th century.

In fact Russian authors really do embody the best aspects of whatever era, and especially genre, they happen to find themselves in. This is true even well into the Soviet Union. Pushkin and Gogol were the literary foundations of it all, and really the entire nation as a whole couldn't have asked for anything better. is looking at genius in purely Anglo terms. Why should a Russian genius be the same as an English or Irish one? Even Nabokov understood this, liking both authors, Pushkin and Joyce, by being a literary inheritor of both cultures

>someone with taste said so!
Oh shidd damn dude whoa

The Captain's Daughter does suck, though. The characters may as well be spectres, floating in some ghostly plane, where a pigeon may suddenly glitch in to being, and then dissipate, for absolutely no reason.

That's a bit rich from Mr Moocow, transcriptor of phrasebooks.
He's beautiful and good and we do not deserve him.

>That's a bit rich from Mr Moocow
pleb

>Why should a Russian genius be the same as an English or Irish one?
They aren't judged differently, faggot. Tolstoy was Russian and often considered a runner-up for greatest writer ever in whatever language. You explain that to me. Just admit Pushkin is inferior in every way to the greats.

Pushkin is basically the Russian Shakespeare

That's Tolstoy, if at all.

Tolstoy is not even a poet

How frightfully original, just what one would expect from a Joyce fan.

Yet he's a much superior writer. Funny, isn't it?

As opposed to the creative Pushkin fans:

Pushkin occupies a similar role in Russian literature as Shakespeare for English, Tolstoy really does not.

It's really that bad, huh? I'm starting to think Russians were lucky to get Tolstoy more than Tolstoy was lucky to be a Russian.

What role does Gogol play?

>Pigeonholes are the same as curiosity
K, were you born into Soviet realism or something?

yes (inclusive or).

>yes (inclusive or).
youre a faggot

cope

I went to a black church one time where they had a modified completely African looking version of that painting hanging in their childrens area. It was hanging under a sign that said "Historical Black Writers and Artists"

He's be considered the greatest poet of all time if he wrote in English. One of the very few true literary geniuses.