Went on a date with a girl who has a phd

>went on a date with a girl who has a phd
>showed her that I was reading The Tunnel

"so, user, do you normally read genre?"

Attached: gass.jpg (392x600, 63K)

She probably thought it was a science-fiction novel or something.

probably, she was flipping through it and weirded out by all the glyphs

she asked it super condescendingly though and i was put off because i do like reading sci fi and horror too.

still asked her for a second date.

she said no.

How can she possibly say that? Its probably the greatest book ive ever read, absolutely massive in scope and probably the most beautiful book ive ever read, the prose is silky and delirous, sometimes strangely comforting and often times the most depressing thing i can imagine, i can understand not liking it, but calling it anything other than a masterpiece is sacrilege.

i mean, she hadn't read it and didn't recognize it. she just took it from me and flipped through with her brow furrowed.

>still asked her for a second date.
>she said no.
jesus christ what a cunt. good riddance, anyway.

>still asked her for a second date.
>she said no.
Is she studying literature or something ? Why the hell would any human being, even a self-proclaimed "serious reader", would take shit like this so seriously ? Anyway fuck that cunt.

>i can understand not liking it, but calling it anything other than a masterpiece is sacrilege
... what ?!

i mean, she can date who she wants, user. not wanting to date me doesn't make her a cunt. if anything, condescendingly asking me if i only read genre makes her a cunt.

i don't think she's a cunt though. and i don't blame her for not wanting to go out with me again, i'm kind of an autist.

she already has her phd. i'm not sure what it was in exactly, but something to do with writing. she works as an editor for a publisher.

>if anything, condescendingly asking me if i only read genre makes her a cunt.
>i don't think she's a cunt though
okay lad
>and i don't blame her for not wanting to go out with me again, i'm kind of an autist.
sorry to hear that. good luck.

>is an editor
>doesn't know William Gass
maybe this is why literature sucks these days

agree

op thanks for sharing your story. The Tunnel is one of my favorite books, I like hearing stories about people interacting with it. I once weirded out a random guy by showing him all the images in it. That's pretty much it though.

I have the audiobook narrated by Gass and it's one of my most prized possessions.

You should've looked at her condescendingly and asked "you don't know who Gass is?"

>she works as an editor for a publisher.
This explains a lot about the current condition of publishing.
Did you ask her what her favorite books were?

>if anything
Good dubs wasted on bad reading comprehension.

All memoirs by lesbians I didn't recognize

Spoiler: she was a lesbian

You should’ve laughed in her face

His voice was kino

What a brilliant yet ugly man

OP, I'll let you in on a secret: women are stupid. Even supposedly educated women are stupid. Any education they receive is posturing and affectation. The one you were talking to likely conceives of herself as a "literary person" and any education was to further this appearance. It doesn't mean she knows anything at all about literature, as the point is the appearance.