Is the main character’s treatment of women in this novel disgusting and reprehensible or based and redpilled?

is the main character’s treatment of women in this novel disgusting and reprehensible or based and redpilled?

Attached: A06EBA38-DCB0-439B-89FC-445742EA5E9C.jpg (800x1222, 862K)

Finished this yesterday. Aside from being manipulative out of pride and ambition I wouldn't say there was anything especially 'against' women.

Passionate and possessive. A fool for love and ambition

He was reprehensible. I was shocked Al Gore admitted it was his favorite book.

this book exemplifies why i don't read french literature anymore. all monomaniacal scumsucking plebes, the lot of them. not one goal beyond conquest and fuckin. doubleplusyawn.

>I was shocked Al Gore admitted it was his favorite book
Lmao as if politicians care about anything except fucking

>Anglo posting

I have to agree, (and extend it to french authors in general) it's not even a matter of content, but rather, it's presentation. Theres this underlying drumbeat of single minded smugness, its akin to listen to an out of shape boomer yammering about how liberated he feels since he started jaywalking while wearing horse blinds.

Attached: main-qimg-8f208bbe8c0da0c91fb12283eb3551c5.png (602x779, 348K)

read Flaubert

Did you also find the ending to be shockingly sad?
For some reason even though I knew it was coming for close to 100 pages I felt more sad when I finished this than any book I’ve ever read

Attached: 8F9DC0BE-19C6-46DE-9F10-648295CD0687.png (242x208, 5K)

>based and redpilled
you've lost the power to think independently and thus don't deserve our answers

I don't understand how he treated women poorly

Julien did absolutely nothing wrong.

no. I'm busy reading Irish literature I'll actually enjoy, thanks.

I expected it too so I wasn’t sad while reading. Now, 2 days after, I think about it and find the last chapter incredibly beautiful though, truly a masterpiece, the more I think about it the more I like it.

He literally manipulated a woman into thinking he likes her and leading her on just to make Mathilde fancy him again. That's not being passionate and possessive, that's being a narcissistic psychopath. And I am not even a woman.

Also he fucking destroyed Madame de Renal's life.

how maudlin was that ending, as well. SHE DIED CLUTCHING HER CHILDREN

I feel exactly the same way. It’s like it tied together the whole story in a way I couldn’t even have imagined.
I keep thinking about the very last couple paragraphs with Fouqué sitting there next to the remains.

All he wanted is to sell some wood :(

beautiful cover
Can’t judge book by it, I hear