Why did Britain produce so little good writers in the 20th century despite having one of the best education system in...

Why did Britain produce so little good writers in the 20th century despite having one of the best education system in the world?

Attached: Capture19.png (1461x900, 2.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

truthdig.com/articles/finks-explores-the-blurred-line-between-propaganda-and-literature/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The based Waughposter is going to be up your ass for this post

They were too busy having (gay) sex.

Because in Britain only losers write, it's a career for spinster mistresses and beta cuck third or fourth sons
With universal education and a booming economy even losers could get a real job
But don't worry, soon there will be no shortage of excellent writers in the UK. And they'll all be fascist starving hobos writing on their phones, so no doubt Yea Forums will approve

not everyone writes for financial reasons. There's something called artistic drive. If you have it in you, you'll feel the drive to write whether you're sitting on money or no.

Salman Rushdie is Indian.

Thanks.

reporting for duty

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 8.36.00 AM.png (723x486, 666K)

Is she your waifu?

He-Evelyn, not She-Evelyn

My mistake, husbando. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

rushdie isn't a good writer tho

based

the actual reason is that in the 19th and 20th centuries the british aristocracy was already poor and cucked, while the bourgeoisie held all the money. and it's a well-known fact that the bourgeoisie doesn't read or care about figurative art or music. at the same time in germany (for example) the aristocracy was in full power until 1918, indeed they had many great writers and artists.

this guy gets it

Attached: brit999.jpg (600x400, 53K)

Checked and keked

>ignoring all artists that were born out of poverty

all artists were paid by the aristocrats before 1689 in england, 1789 in france, 1871/1918 in austria and germany. that's why after 1689 the english intellectual and artistic life was so poor. you could have some heroic poor artists from time to time, but that will never be enough.
truth is: democracy destroyed art.

i mean poor in comparison to other countries.

I am sure that part of the reason British lit declined in the 20th century is the reason why lit in general declined globally: the rise of audio-visual media like television and movies.

On the other hand, I have a nagging feeling that another part of the reason post-WW II lit feels so tame is the role the CIA played in subordinating lit into the service of Cold War culture wars.
truthdig.com/articles/finks-explores-the-blurred-line-between-propaganda-and-literature/

yeah Britain only managed to produce the biggest selling novelist of all time

Attached: Agatha_Christie_3.jpg (800x1087, 606K)

based and redpilled

How the fuck did you get to that idea? Yeats, Saki, Woolf, Auden, Isherwood, Lawrence, Forster, Orwell, Greene, Waugh, Wodehouse, Thomas.

The first half of that century was great.

>biggest selling

They had some phenomenal authors who for one reason or another haven't stood the test of time... John Cowper Powys, Jocelyn Brooke, Paul Scott, Anthony Powell. Maybe it's because their names aren't very memorable.

>Bongs can only measure success by quantifiable metrics

Truly a soulless race

How do they keep doing it?

Attached: image.jpg (2496x3756, 1.74M)

We'll talk when he gets the Nobel. Hold your peace till then.

But seriously, i haven't read any of his work to completion. I find him a bit wooden. I agree with you.

>John Cowper Powys
mah nigga

Don't forget Enid Blyton, a-and Barbara Cartland!

education provids nothing to talent. Only cultivation is what maters. You can talk to a apple tree and nothing happens. But prune and cultivate a tree that shows promise, and you will have good fruit.

yeah fuck off anons, christie was a master of the art

What are you talking about? Their educational system is almost as unequal and money driven as burgerland. And middle class white folk just has nothing new to say.

Ye, the art of writing "whodunit" novels for bored housewives
Fuck off

americans can't survive a day in british education system. you don't know how easy you have there

nothing wrong with enid blyton user. those are classic children's books. i'll add in beatrix potter and aa milne in that category too, since all their books were published in the 20th century.

Attached: 560high+2770473.jpg (383x560, 138K)

you've never read a single one of them, have you?
you're utterly clueless

oh and rudyard kipling, since kim was published in 1901

I'm not a fucking mutt, and sure their educational system is a joke too but britain is mediocre as fuck for first world standards. Then again, given the lack of amazing writers from scandinavia, having a good educational system doesn't seem that relevant.

based and redpilled

Stupid zoomer.

I had to read Ten Little Niggers for school, and it wasn't literature.

it has never been published under that title in the usa and was last published in the uk with that title as a limited release in 1977, so i suspect you are not telling the truth. or maybe you are like 70 years old. either way you're a dumbass

1. We still use the old title in translation where I live
2. Just because Christie was the "biggest selling", it doesn't make her a literary author, at best, she is middlebrow
Fuck off you Anglo shitbucket, nobody cares about sales figures.

>1. We still use the old title in translation where I live
then it's not ten little niggers is it dum dum. it's hurty blooty flurty shmurty or whatever obsolete language you speak out there in buttfuckistan

t.Has a glorified Creole as a mother tongue

The brits had some good ones in the first half, the second half yeah they really dropped the ball.

Good post

It’s not really the fact that it’s quantifiable so much as it is centered on monetary metrics. Statistics aren’t some evil bourgeois tool of oppression.

Isn't because a lot of Brit writers boil down to people in rooms experiencing their feelings, as opposed to doing shit? Or, for Cowper Powys, people on a hill experiencing their feelings. Adventures stopped, life and death slowed down and the main objective became forming your sentences well. Result: Bainbridge, Ishiguro, Barnes, Cusk, narcosis.

You have a point. The Brits more than any other country seem to adore the novel of manners. And they're really good at writing such novels, but a lot of people don't have the patience for books with so little action.

>so few good writers
>education systems
Brit here, no need to thank me.