Authors that started reading late in life?

What about those who were dyslexic, had ADHD, ADD or started illiterate?

Attached: f33ff3f3.jpg (800x450, 64K)

Bump.

None. Sorry dude, but just major in STEM like your parents are saying, it’s not worth it; set aside that strong passion, that I assure you is ephemeral, and pursue a less risky route. When you’re 30, trust me, more money will be more valuable than “having followed your dreams”—especially if you live in a western or westernized state. Just keep browsing LIT, reading a book here and there, and keep writing a hobby. Don’t make the same mistake I made.

Now, not to get your hopes up, there are rare cases where one truly is born an artist and truly does have something earnestly didactic to say to the world. While you don’t need formal training—that’s if this is indeed the case—to write your masterpiece (it might take you a lifetime), a university education will get you acquainted with tools/techniques that are crucial for good writing and thinking; it really is just having an experienced writer or English instructor critically looking over your work and having a group of likeminded somewhat intelligent (Since generally not just anyone is in uni) individuals to discuss writing with that is useful.

Best of luck.

Also as for me. I am moving to Argentina soon to work on a farm in exchange for housing and food. I’ve come to the realization that as long as I have my books, paper and pen, some work to keep my body healthy, and a wife and kids (as I hope I will find down their) I am and will be happy. I’m done working in a vacuous job that is harming my body and worst of all my mind. Plus, there’s an avant-garde classical guitar scene down there which I hope will inspire my playing too.

Worst case scenario, I get killed by some local thief who saw white skin and struck. I personally wouldn’t mind much if this is to happen.

>What about those who were dyslexic, had ADHD, ADD or started illiterate?
i don't know of any authors like that but on a semi-related note i know of this semi-famous guy who was the president of cleveland clinic, one of the most respected hospitals in the world, and he has dyslexia and apparently couldn't read books as a child because of it so he forced himself to gain a photographic memory

Attached: Toby_Cosgrove_cleveland.jpg (513x589, 51K)

Hubert Selby Jr.

Dope to see genuinely good advice here. Listen to this guy, OP, that is assuming a certain motive for your post. Perhaps you will one day write something that many people enjoy, or better yet consider important. You cannot, however, rely on dreams that may never materialize.

The problem isn't "pursuing art is risky" it's "pursuing outdated arts with no market and hoping to rely on it for income is risky" What are you guys doing writing novels expecting to get anything tangible out of it? Write with the acceptance that probably nobody would even read it. Use your writing "genius" for mediums people actually care about if you want recognition and money. Sure, attempt to revolutionize prose but you're competing with a long history on top of the idea if that's even possible anymore. You'll be like an artist in 1700 Florence wanting to paint Byzantine Madonnas on panel using egg tempura. It's still valuable.... but do you really think you'll get a patron? Take a look at theater since the the emergence of cinema...

That might be art to you and that’s fine, but public adoration and financial success are the least of my concern. I rather make one great art that might never be acknowledged (or sold) than “the most financially viable” art. Sure, I could adapt to the public, but then what’s the point anymore. You see this happen to a lot of small names that had a hit and then adapted there “genius to the medium” and not the other way around. It’s one thing to be a writer or musician or etc and another to be an artist.

I guess I’ve let my beliefs on what it means to write overtake my advice a little bit so let me be clear: pursing art isn’t risky if your intentions are to learn the medium and formula that sells (although I’d argue it still honestly is, so many talented people unrecognized), but if you believe and what I’ve said previously regarding the matter then yes it’s risky, I’d almost say dismally vain; but that should matter if you truly believe in at least in some variation of what I said because the notion of just creating is redeeming and more profound than any other experience in the temporal world.

I’m a stupid man so I probably didn’t even come close to what I’m trying to say. I’d urge you to read works such as “The Black Prince” by Murdoch or “The Moon and the Sixpence” by Maugham to get a better understanding of what I mean. Yes fiction, but it will set the context for more serious non-fiction work on this matter.

At the end of the day I will concede that it is less risky if you are pragmatic and are okay bending some of your artistic integrity.

This is also so stupid. Really. Internet users frivolously arguing on a board about fucking art LMAO. I’m glad I’m leaving the states, then even if my disciple is lacking me (like it is right now), it will be much harder to waste my time like this in the forest of Argentina. Think about it back then they didn’t have all this post-industrial shit that drains our time and literally just read most of the time for entertainment and education. If I only read 1/5 of what they read. I’ve strayed so far away. So so far away.

And truth be told, you might be right and I might be wrong, I could be right and you could be wrong, and more not than likely we are both wrong. As long as it keeps you happy and going, I think it’s we are both better off sticking to our guns. Maybe only when in due course death comes to our hearts will it grant us the knowledge of knowing if we were right as a token for enduring existence. Even if I or u or some smart guy at Yale truly understood or at least thinks he did, it would only be from his flawed biased human perspective. Only a divine power can truly see the whole, beautiful, picture. Yes. Truth sets one free, and to be truly obtain that free virtue you must be no more. Sometimes I wish I never even existed xD rawr haha yes the old worn out cliche, and yours truly has said it, so disregard wholly for I have sinned.

don't listen to this basedboi, you don't need stability and material comfort.

It beats being an incel in either case. Fuck it!

what exchange program? workaway?

I believe John Muir only started writing when he was in his 40s or 50s. But then again, he also was offered a university teaching position despite having no formal education. In some ways life was simpler back then.

>down their
ok good luck with the writing thing user

Melville had some kind of ADHD. Also Dylan Thomas' wife locked him in a shed without distractions or else he couldn't write

Damn you got me bro, I didn’t know that. Well soon enough you’ll learn great ideas surpass technique any day. To write interesting is better than to write mechanically. And no I’m not saying to throwaway grammar but it was 4am in the morning. Instead of making an argument or proper respond you went for the lowest hanging fruit.

Yes. I’ve had lots of correspondence with the organization and the farmer and it’s soon to happen by the end of the year.

I'd like to do something smiliar but I'm too much of a pussy to upset my life like this, despite it being a husk, 'life' in name only. I admire your risk taking. Godspeed user

Attached: the-zoom-in-to-a-freeze-frame-shot.jpg (664x243, 73K)

I only got into literature at 24.

I don't think it's bad. Sure the freetime I had in high school and uni was "wasted", but I was an insufferable retard then and anything I made would have been trash.

28 now. I've written several novels and have read hundreds.

I was a voracious reader until 17. Then nothing. I got bored of books. Only music can give me some feels now

Thanks user. I can’t say that will be my life 10 years from now but maybe it will, I don’t know. At the least, the tough reality of that lifestyle we set me right and I’ll have grown a little form the experience, but I’m set to stick with it for at least a year.