Self-help books

Have you ever read a self-help book that you were able to improve your life with?

Attached: SELFHELP_300_1024x1024.png (1024x1024, 343K)

the bible

Doesn't the bible fall into the "work more" camp of self help books?

This

Bible/stocism. knowlegde is self improvment. if you want to improve yourself learn to practice virtue in your daily life.

The Bible will not teach you virtue and anyone who says it does has not read it.

Buddhist and, to a lesser extent, Hindu scriptures are far more useful than the bible. The bible is contradictory and illogical, but has a couple good parts.

>dude stop desiring lmao

This but unironically
Ecclesiastes best book btw

Nice meme religion. Maybe you could call it Ayy-Buddha-Light-ism or something

Yes I'm studying philosophy and psychology in scholarly contexts

Self help is for civil realists

Look what happened to you, though? You took one of many religions and turned into the absolute thruth through, "faith." You then determined all else to be meme. One of the many opposittes of open ended, rational thought, able to look at many sides, from many viewpoints, is cultism.

Cultism is comfy. The answers are handed to you. They are truth, so you never need to question them. Is that really what you want, though?

based

yes, "hold me tight" by Sue Johnson. I highly suggest it to anyone currently in or interested in having a romantic relationship. you may be turned off by the hyper cheesey look, but this is fantastic book that allows you to frame the conflict inevitable to all relationships in a way that helps you understand why there is conflict and how you can best diffuse it and make progress towards a more stable baseline. solid research basis, excellent anecdotal examples from the author's decades of relationship counseling, and just an all around strong foundation to build your relationship on

Attached: holdmetight.jpg (323x500, 30K)

unironically the 50th law of power by Robert Greene

Reading Marxist and anarchist literature is unironically more therapeutic for me than any self-help bs. Maybe "How to win friends..." was useful, but have in mind that this is not about making friends but clients and business partners.

Attached: 1547930403996.jpg (627x767, 212K)

I think I want to fight you irl

Got me a sexy gf + stable job

Attached: 71R6N-+s31L.jpg (958x1411, 188K)

Attached: 51CHCAKAE6L.jpg (325x475, 35K)

>Rich dad poor dad
>How to win friends
>Mystery method
Seriously, these books are kino as fuck, whoever criticizes self help books as a whole is a pseud.

Fear and Trembling

the miracle morning is a pretty ok morning routine but the whole 100 page book could be condensed in like 2 pages if you eliminated all the self congratulatory anecdotes

the untethering soul is good

This book is full of unironically good advice. People who say "it doesn't work" are simply failing to implement it due to fear/laziness/inertia.

Attached: The_7_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People.jpg (255x391, 29K)

>Synergize. Adopt the guiding principle that in a group, the contributions of many will far exceed those of any individual.
slaven and herdpilled

>stoicism

>Yeess goy just accept everything that happens to you, you cannot change anything besides your attitude.

Can't build a good business without synergy.

How to win friends and influence people.

It literally teaches you how to interact with people so as to not provoke conflict.

It's not some autismo book about how to interact socially, but more of a book on how NOT to interact, and how to subtly influence people.

It's not a manipulator's handbook either. Most of it revolves around Abraham Lincoln's letters and how he was a most skillful person in dealing with people.

The only other relevant book is "freedom from the known" by Jiddu Krishnamurti, which is pretty much a book on how to meditate amidst psychological turmoil.

that's exactly why the book is shit. what people really need is help in overcoming their fear/laziness/inertia. Figuring out how to be the successful is easy. One can deduct the path to success with simple logic. What is hard is overcoming your inner demons. What is hard is the struggle against yourself. This book is toilet paper.

You'd take away more than this by skimming the Wikipedia page for stoicism.
The key is knowing what you can control, not just ignoring everything.

I think you misinterpreted his post.

What’s the job?

Will it teach conversation skills and potentially entering a relationship?

No, it will teach you to make the other person keep talking.

It will help you get people to open themselves to you.

>hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr don't be nice

Absolutely stupid :3

checked this out and its a good read

Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns M.D. is an excellent read for teaching you Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, specifically oriented towards depression. It's like a therapist in a book. I was really in a ditch and it helped significantly. Any book by a professional that teaches you therapeutic techniques can greatly help

Attached: serveimage2.jpg (568x568, 28K)

Ok Charlie Manson

This works. He repackages therapy techniques so you can use them on yourself. Each chapter is another technique. I see why he has such a fanbase

Attached: 81KkKgd18LL.jpg (1400x2125, 290K)

if you can't solve your own issues, you deserve them.

The trick is to do it in baby steps. The people who fail try to do it all at once. 7 habits maps out a step-by-step sequential path to being effective, and it works.

Retard positivity like this does indeed have its place.

When self-help is mentioned I'm always reminded of an article I read on one of those sites where people can publish their own shit (Medium, I believe it was). This one guy went to autistic lengths to improve himself. He tracked his V02 max while working out, he meditated an hour a day, read a specific amount of pages everyday, had a daily schedule he strictly followed, and much more -pretty much every single self-help meme you can think of. But then as you keeping reading the article you find out that after all that, he's still an ugly manlet with no friends that has to pay women to have sex with him, running some meme company in Sillicon Valley that developed an app that never took off.
That to me has always been the crux of the whole self-help stuff. You can do all sorts of meme shit that seems superficially helpful, but at the end of the day it's not capable of fundamentally changing who you are.

does this work against existential depression?

webdev

don't judge this book by its title
it's a good book that a lot of men on this site especially would benefit from

i would recommend as well

would also recommend “the road less travelled” by scott peck. good book on psychotherapy. topics range from narcissism, God, independence, will, pain, among more.

these three are the real self help

Attached: maxresdefault__01.jpg (1280x588, 168K)

>God
>not God
>God
hmm

This post is strange to me, I've done similar shit and I sort of concur on the point that autistically tracking every molecule of your life and engaging in self-improvement doesn't magically guarantee some kind of ubermensch life will arise, but why imply that it's useless or that doing that sort of stuff doesn't produce results.
The things that you're tracking, regular exercise, meditation, reading more frequently and such do guarantee improvement, how could you not consider your life greatly improved by transforming your health, body and mind to the optimal state, even if it doesn't mystically produce friends around you or grow your height.

best everything predestined

Protip: be born white with a nice face 6'3 with an 8" dick

The subtle art of the power of yes and no - which contains the secrets of Work while f*cking Them and only caring about You
(involves a Bulletproof Coffee coupon of 5$)

That's just a very specific class of self-help. All of these things probably didn't require him to do some honest soul searching or questioning of his own paradigms and beliefs.

The fact that he blogged about his journey is for me a sign that he didn't really went deep. If you can still talk about your journey with people that know you, let alone strangers on the internet, what you are doing is nowhere near personal enough to be truly tranformational.

replace dostoyevsky with schopenhauer and i agree

Self help books are for the kind of person that enjoys "having a career".

Do you all take notes or something wh3n you read these? Never feel like I absorb much from self help books like these

Attached: 1492826084323.gif (427x640, 517K)

I take notes, for several reasons. The bad one, I have a shitty focus and terrible memory. Good one, it gives me some kind of checklist of things that I can read again later. Ugly one, most of those books hid 3 or 4 core ideas under 250 pages of anecdotal evidences, pop science, repetitions and lies. Getting Things Done for example can be summed up with a single picture, and explained through a simple blogpost.

Link?

The New and Old Testaments are different books. They are not contradictory within themselves any more than the religious Poo texts.

Go somewhere else, /leftypol/ refugee faggot.

Read the book of Ecclesiastes

as the comic hints, a bunch of words, no matter how well-meaning or sensible, are just that.

What we need to overcome ourselves is real, qualitative brain change. Start with Robert Wilson, here.

Attached: Prometheus Rising.jpg (297x475, 57K)

Roman Stoics
Nicomachean Ethics