What foreign language is everyone currently learning atm? Why did you choose that one?

What foreign language is everyone currently learning atm? Why did you choose that one?

You are learning another language, right? You weren't really planning on reading translations your entire life, were you?

Attached: download0.jpg (275x183, 10K)

been reading Russian for years. I dont care enough to ever become fluent, i just like reading comfy 19th century literature. I chose it because it sounds nice and they have great writers.

Can I trouble you to describe your journey of learning Russian? Been really into the idea lately and I have similar goals.

I tried, I really did

Attached: feelings.jpg (601x508, 31K)

Trying to get into French but it sounds a bit too gay, lads. Literary French is kino, though.

Still learning English. It feels like a neverending journey.

Attached: Apu cries.jpg (793x786, 52K)

Yes, sumerian for those legal documents

Spoken French always sounded too guttural and nasally for me, but since Paris has become a colony of guttural vowel-slurring "booga booga"-sounding immigrants, it's so much worse now. I don't know who you would speak French with anymore. A bunch of Muslims with IQs of 90 and the theory of mind of an 8 year old child? When they speak French they sound like they're spitting out the syllables like overconfident retards.

sure, I started in spring 2014, just learned the alphabet over a couple days online. Then i started reading very simple children's stories online in dual-language texts. I tried to move up to the next level but knowing only languages without cases I didnt understand how the words were relating to each other. So i got a grammar book, and every day when I woke up Id read from the start of the book, and then one chapter further than the day before, and id do the exercises for the one new chapter, then look over my exercises from previous days(this was how i was taught inschool to study and it sort of stuck). After that I would read a few dual language texts.

I think i did that for a couple months until id done all the exercises in the book and read a fair amount of dual language stuff. Then i started reading texts on their own, which i did not understand at all at first but I just pushed through because it was more satisfying to sometimes glimpse the meaning without having to look at the translation. I did that, and dual language texts for like a year. By that time i could sort of struggle through a chekhov text on my own, and i continued for another two years just doing that, reading texts beyond my ability and also dual language texts, as well as acouple other grammars. 2017 is when i started to be able to actually read the language without a dictionary or translation for the most part. I spent a summer just reading war and peace over and over and that helped it click.

The whole thing was very unorganized and haphazard, i often didnt read any russian for like a week at a time. If you really put in effort you could get way better than that way more quickly. These days i just read a few pages every day unless i come across a novel,poet, or nonfiction text i really like. My russian is still terrible but I just like being able to read stuff.

I hope this means your ESL

forgot to mention, one other thing i did a lot was to copy word for word an entire chapter of some Russian book, and then attempt to translate it. Also tried to translate a lot of poems

I want to learn thousands of languages, tho many of those that pick up my interest are ''useless'' and would be a waste of time in the capitalist context we live in (Oromo, Urdu, Lingala, Latvian, Lithuanian, Bengali, Kanada, Polish, Ukranian, Estonian, Sami, Somali, etc)

Attached: 1559162965078.jpg (311x362, 30K)

>learning ooga booga
user, I...

Attached: 1111.jpg (248x189, 15K)

Thanks so much for this, you even have the same method and style as me I think, so it's heartening to hear that you not only progressed but kept your motivation and had fun with it.

That's exactly what I'm looking for too, to be basically literate within a year or a few of having fun with it. Kudos on getting up to real literature levels too, I've been told that's much harder in Russian than in French or even German.

Have you read Dostoevsky in both English and Russian? I had a friend tell me his native Russian father said he finds Dostoevsky disgusting in Russian and prefers to read him in English. Go figure.

They are interesting

Attached: 1530709472811.png (186x356, 43K)

That's quite the drive, user.

Attached: 1433672654452.jpg (644x747, 352K)

It is definitely very fun. I read TBK and Notes in English when i was 17, and then didnt read them in russian until i was 22, and bizarrely enough I remembered almost every passage even in translation. I know a lot of people shit on Dostoevsky's prose, I can't really comment on how good it is, but his voice is so recognizable that you can hear him across translation very easily, and the situations and ideas he comes up with are so memorable that they just stick in your head.

I found him kind of hard to understand though and still do. Tolstoy is a lot easier.

In Latin 111 at school. It was that or German. I chose it to read literature.

Should've learned german first, making learning latin a lot easier.

Japanese.

I do it for Dazai.

Learning Spanish for practical and literary reasons, as well as Greek

French

Partially because I live in Canada, partially to be able to read 20000 Leagues Under the Sea in it's original form (among other things as well).

I am also interested in learning Galic, but there doesn't seem to be a real reason other than my ancestors spoke it. So after French, I think I might try learning Russian and possibly Arabic after.

Mais je n'est pas un rapide apprenent de language.

I would love some tips on how to speed up my language adoption short of moving to Québec.

Attached: 2TGRoHh.jpg (670x3926, 659K)

Help me, bros. (Ancient) Greek, German, or French?

I have been learning German on and off over the years, unsuccessfully. Started in grammar school using a textbook on my own time, outside of class. Took German for three years in high school, starting with a beginner course and ending in advanced, where we tried to read Der Besuch der Alten Dame. Continued German in college where I was placed in an intermediate course. Sophomore year I took a more advanced course where we were expected to give presentations in German. I'd become physically ill before these and vomit in my dorm bathroom. After college I did a lot of self-studying. I went through the Assimil course, volume 1 of FSI and half of volume 2. I also started doing the Gold List method (you can find it on youtube) to increase my vocabulary, which seemed to help. I haven't studied any German in the past two years and have slid back a lot. Before I stopped, I knew a lot of words, but had terrible active ability with the language. Couldn't speak to save my life. Could do ok at reading, but would get lost when more complicated words are used.

Have you tried "German for Reading" by Sandberg, user? I assume you're pretty much past its level but it's a great refresher.

Yeah, I have read it. I've actually gone through a ton of books like it. I have a family friend who was a German professor who gave me a huge collection of German textbooks.

Which ones have you liked the most, user? I could use some practice myself.

>learning Russian
hahahahahah omg imagine learning the language of peasants that all russian aristocrats viewed with disgust and disdain, preferring french instead lmfaooooo idiots

I'm learning Japanese and will be studying abroad next semester. I'm a big fan of Murakami's magical realism aesthetic and want to get more into Japanese literature, though I am unfamiliar with a good majority of their authors. I'll likely be taking a course on Japanese literature while I'm there.

that's good. I feel like reading Japanese (and Chinese, Arabic, Korean, etc.) in translation is frivolous. If you're interested in reading those cultures, you have to learn the language.

German in Review by Sparks and Vail is my favorite for grammar. For a graded reader I like Literatur I by Spaethling and Weber.

great, great. now. explain why that applies to japanese, chinese, korean, and arabic, and not to french, italian, spanish, dutch, swedish, finnish, russian, estonian, polish, parsi, indian (all 60 gorillion regional languages), romanian, bulgarian, afrikaans, portugese, thai, vietnamese, etc.

fucking npc

Koine Greek

That's why I said "etc". French, Spanish, German, are at least related to English so generally translate better. Faggot

you're just a memeing brainlet who doesn't think about his own opinions before regurgitating them

Urdu and Bengali are actually some of the most spoken languages in the world

Anyone learning Korean?

i believe in you, user. it's not that hard

>Why did you choose that one?
Japanese. Because I like anime/manga/etc. It has an overwhelming amount of content which nowadays is pretty rare. If you learn certain languages some countries don't do much anymore.

I feel you, stupid frogposter

French, already studied it 5 years in highschool, now I have to study it at uni for a semester.
Sometimes I listen to podcasts and watch YouTube videos in french.
I'm halfway through Sagan's Bonjour tristesse (listening also to the audiolivre on archivedotorg), next I'm going to read the Rêveries of Rousseau probably.
I'm not really in love with the language, but it has become something easy to study and I feel like I've done something "productive" during the day.

I'm also reading some Latin, like Comenius' Orbis Pictus, just to kill time.
I should continue Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, but I'm finding it less fun the more I go further.

Dutch, not particularly for lit reasons but because I live here. I have now read the original text of Anne Frank's diary, so there is that.

I've been trying to learn French because
>I share a border with a French speaking country
>there are tons of interesting literature in French
>because it makes me feel more sophisticated (this last reason is the most shameful to admit)
I also started feeling useless and lazy every time I opened one of these threads and whenever I meat trilingual people, so I started studying out of shame.

Akkadian, to read the epic of gilgameš in it(also planning to do it in sumerian, but for that I would have to learn akkadian first anyway).

Are you able write, listen and speak Russian at all? Sounds like you only practiced reading and grammar.

I've been learning German for a long time and I'm finally at the point where I can read a bit. It's proving difficult lexically, and the vocabulary isn't as easy to learn as that of Romance languages. I'm trying to pass this obstacle by reading and practicing with clozemaster. As for my reading list, I have a set of Grimm tales, which are great, if a bit dated, and two modern children's books - Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer, and Emil und die Detektive. I also try reading some German media, mostly FAZ, Süddeutsche, Der Spiegel and Die Welt, although I'm not proficient enough yet with it and don't really get much out of it. Right now I have to keep expanding and practicing my vocab and then I'll try reading more serious and less boring stuff.

Try Kafka or Hesse. I found that after the Grimm tales they're the easiest to continue with afterwards.

Sandberg has a great book called "French for Reading". After I completed it ( and read Le Petit Prince ) I could make my way through L'Étranger with a dictionary at hand.

There's always one guy who makes this post whenever Russian is brought up and it makes me chuckle every time

pas la peine d'étendre mes capacités linguistique

Was learning German for a while cause of my heritage, had a roommate who had been a German student who I could talk to, but then we both moved and I got tired of not having a reason to use it.

Considering learning Spanish now cause I live in the South and hear it in my daily life. Would be more useful.

I'm studying spanish because it's one of the most spoken language and it's easy to me because I'm Italian.

If I've read Agnes by Peter Stamm can I read all three of those just fine?

Can you record an utterance of some phrase? Wonder what your accent sounds like

I've been learning French for a year, got to B1, want to get B2 before New Year's Eve.
Also, how do I expand my vocabulary to the point where I would be able to read Ulysses without struggle due to new words? Going over Anki does not seem to help at advanced level. Is it just reading lots of fiction or what?

Learning Japanese in uni at the moment. Prof said I had the best homework they had ever seen and were confused how I do so mediocre on the tests. Basically, I can read but very slowly.

>all russian aristocrats viewed with disgust and disdain, preferring french instead lmfaooooo idiots
That was also the case for English, though...

"pweez kill yourself with meeee. Pweeeeez"

Take a french class if you can, I think theyre available in any school in Canada if youre a student

Thanks. I've been using Duolingo so far, and thanks to French's similarity with Spanish I've been able to get by pretty well. I surprise myself when I'm able to make out a text almost in its entirety. Thanks for the recommendation; I think I will try it. I intended to read Le Petit Prince and L'Ètranger after I completed the tree, but maybe a stop by French for Reading would be recommendable.