Who else /crippled by absurdly high standards/?

Who else /crippled by absurdly high standards/?

I'm 26 and haven't done anything with my life but study philosophy in my room since I left school 10 years ago. I hold myself to a high standard and refuse to waste my life on worthless endeavours. The problem is I think I'm TOO harsh on myself, to the point where I'm crippled to do anything because I see it as a waste of time. Nothing short of the kind of life you only see in movies will do, I don't want to be "just" a writer. I want to be a writer who's capable of surviving in wilderness conditions indefinitely who's also proficient in a martial art and can play the piano. But then I think "I only want to do those things to impress people and I think everyone is a wanker so why bother?".

Attached: 5c94c2a2837d71c6d1ded427bf8d2e26.jpg (500x284, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

damagemag.com/tag/perfectionism/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sounds to me like you’re more than qualified to write my biography. You’ve already got the gist of it.

>I'm 26 and haven't done anything with my life but study philosophy in my room since I left school 10 years ago.
>I refuse to waste my life on worthless endeavours.
well, which is it?

Philosophy is a search for a reason to do something, so far it's failed

Sounds like you are just making excuses for being lazy and staying in your comfort zone

If you're wrong about what philosophy is of course you won't get the results you intended.
Philosophy concerns the clarification of thoughts, or more directly, the completion of thoughts. Ideas without the application of philosophical methods can be thought of as leaky and incomplete. They haven't been screwed down, logically stress tested, finished and foolproofed.

We both know the only philosophy that matters is the one that tries to figure out how to overcome the feeling of being adrift at sea with no control over where you're going or what you do.

No, I honestly feel like doing nothing. There's nothing in life I give enough of a fuck about to pursue it seriously.

>There's nothing in life I give enough of a fuck about to pursue it seriously

what about the absurdly miserable material conditions of the absurdly large amount of people in hideous poverty?

>We both know the only philosophy that matters is the one that tries to figure out how to overcome the feeling of being adrift at sea with no control over where you're going or what you do.
Praxis is only one subdomain of philosophy. Action inevitably leads to more information, which in turn leads to the need to revise one's interpretation of the world. Philosophy is universally applicable to every aspect of thought and life.
Pragmatics is undeniably, well, useful, but stomach should follow the brain, not the other way around.

>what about the absurdly miserable material conditions of the absurdly large amount of people in hideous poverty?
Is that a joke? Why would I care about them?

>There's nothing in life I give enough of a fuck about to pursue it seriously.
Every lazy person says this

So what?

What difference does it make anyway? The result is the same, so believe me or call me lazy. Nothing changes. I honestly, truly don't give a fuck. 10 year NEET, leeched a decade away, try and tell me I'm just "too lazy" and secretly possess a bunch of dreams and aspirations.

Go to church. You haven't set your standards too high, but your expectations. You crave admiration, and it is only in not getting it that you belittle people you've never met or talked to, primarily because they do not praise you. For all your reading, do you not find it odd that you are here talking about yourself and not what you've read? Humble yourself before the Lord.

Fuck off spastic, I didn't believe in your kike on a stick when my parents told me about God and I don't believe in him now.

christposters are a self-parody at this point

He believes in you.

How so? Are we really all so alike?

I don't care

the tone of your post is phony as hell. who the hell tells someone to "humble themselves before the Lord"?

it's not actually bad advice

no it's terrible advice, now go away

Pride is probably the biggest problem the majority of people have, especially in our society

Yeah and the biggest proudest faggot of them all is "the Lord"

who /smart but lazy/ here?

I say it to myself frequently. My girlfriend and I have long conversations about it. Of course, no matter who I say, you probably won't believe me, since I am a stranger to you and it would be easier to make things up than to tell the truth. But still, I am sad to hear that you think I was being insincere. As Mary, in her humility, is always at the feet of Christ, so are we, in all our pride, always at the feet of Satan. The only way one can truly humble themselves is to place themselves before the Lord, and to pray to see themselves as God sees them. Many people today, as in all ages, suffer greatly from pride; so it would be good, in our misery, in the emptiness we find at the end of all false roads, to humble ourselves and begin the long, humbling crawl back again to Calvary.

yeah too bad no one believes this shit anymore

Chicken, egg

I don't understand what you are trying to explain. You come off as pretentious, not a universal genius. What are your goals? Can you not say something silly like 'playing piano in the wild' or something? Maybe I'd actually help you despite you blogposting on a literature board

>What are your goals?
I don't have any, can you even read?

He cares immensely. He loves you and he wants what's best for you. You hurt because you ignore him. You don't have to hurt anymore.

I believe this. Everyone in my church believes this. Many people believe this. While certainly, the faith is weak--only 30% of American Catholics believe in the real presence--it does confirm that the faith still remains. If it seems to you that no one believes, perhaps it is only where you are looking.

Why are you posting here if you don't have any goals? Would you like me to prescribe you something to do?

of course you're too retarded to understand a hyperbole. you're making a great case for your "faith" btw, keep it up

If that were so, why would the origin and source of all being come to Earth as a Jewish carpenter under Roman rule to be crucified by his chosen people in his effort to save us from removing ourselves from his will, which sustains all?

he's overpowered. he does that shit for shits and gigs

>Why are you posting here if you don't have any goals?
I use Yea Forums as a sounding board for philosophical development. I make a thread with an exaggerated stance on what I recently read and think is sound to see how well it holds up to scrutiny.

I think you must pick between saying our faith is just an act and saying that our faith is just old-fashioned superstition.

How does this make sense to you?

Why do you think someone who got crucified is the 'lord'? I know you will respond with a christian copypasta but it's not virtuous at all to let evil overpower you

Why are you meta-projecting into this stance for 'philosophical development'?

In what way are you 'crippled' then?

Well in the case of the current thread I'm not exaggerating at all, it's an honest account of my life. But most of the time when I make a thread I take a belief and exaggerate it to draw people in.

Because any time I try to think of something I'd like to do with my life I'm crippled by the immediate reminder that I don't really care.

You have a poor understanding of virtue and power and evil. The church is built with the blood of martyrs. We accept that this world is temporary, but the life of the spirit is eternal. Had Jesus only been a man, like every other man who was crucified, then we would not know his name, just like we have forgotten the names of all the others. There is no reasonable explanation that anyone in the world today, almost 2000 years later, should know of Jesus unless it is all true. That the death of a carpenter can create the world's largest religion, which has transformed barbarians into civilizations, hardly seems like evil overpowered God. No, evil triumphs in the hearts of men, and it is against the cross that all evil breaks.

Alright man, so you just wasted my time with two replies. Are you going to do the same for the third one? If so don't bother. I asked a genuine question on what your goals are.

Told you, I don't have any goals.

>There is no reasonable explanation that anyone in the world today, almost 2000 years later, should know of Jesus unless it is all true.
do you realize how fallacious and delusional that is?

I'm not sure what you expected. He's clearly narcissistic and feeling very unhappy with himself. If he maintains a bare minimum of intellectual activity, he can produce in himself a profound state of boredom so as to ignore the pain of his self-made isolation.

Just wanted to say this thread is an absolute trainwreck.

If I was a roman executor of christ I would probably write about the feebleness of christ and tell people that being a slave is better than being a master. I would also tell people not to be prepared or avoid a crucification. You also say this world is 'temporary', then proclaim about the 'civilizations' that Christanity has brought forth. It has also brought numerous wars, even slavery was justified under christ. You are cherrypicking because since birth you have been told that god is a mystery and that truth is only found externally in a church. That's your problem, doesn't matter what bullshit you make up. I won't believe it.

You're afraid of failure and are scared that if you attempt things, you will actually fail, and then this will shatter your precious little ego that you've been cultivating for the past 10 years. You don't want everybody, and most importantly yourself, to know that you're a fraud and not actually as smart as you want others to believe. Time to start being real with yourself and to put in some real life work, instead of protecting your fragile ego.

I don't think you have a realistic view of life or society. The current commodified media industry, combined with digital technology, has dramatically warped the information landscape. If you step back from your own life and actually consider the transfer of information, especially prior to easily accessible paper production, you might start to gain a greater appreciation for what is known about the ancient world.

>You're afraid of failure
That doesn't make any sense. I don't try because I'm afraid of failing, I don't try because I don't see any reason to try. None of the benefits of trying interest me.

To me it just sounds like you're super butthurt that I'm smarter than you, but you tried and failed so you feel inferior to someone who saw the pointlessness of trying in the first place.

holy non sequitor

forget it...

Jesus christ

>that I'm smarter than you
Kek, okay let's measure your smartness, user. You've spent 10 years doing nothing but philosophy, lets see what you have to show for it.

It sounds like I struck a nerve. Right there in your OP you say how scared you are of being "just" a writer. We both know that if you were to try you would really end up as just another mediocre writer. That would shatter your fragile ego, but if you never do write anything then your ego is safe and you can pretend in your ignorance that you could be the next great author "if" you wanted to be. Just admit that you're a giant pussy with a fragile ego who is not as smart as he thinks he is. Look in a mirror and be honest with yourself, and then actually put in some work.

>how scared you are
Never said scared, learn to read

Slavery can still be justified in the abstract. It's not slavery which is evil, but evil masters who are evil. Now, it is generally good to avoid slavery at this time, because who in this age could be a good master; still, it is wrong to condemn in the theory what is evil in the man. And, unsurprisingly, as someone steeped in a culture of consumption, you can only see the material of civilization; but the essence of civilization is peoples' relationships to each other. It is not the church itself as an object that means anything, but rather the building of the church and the care for its design. Society today is organized around individualized, private consumption of material goods; as technology grows more complicated, these desires are more easily catered to, and yet the system increasingly strains under its own weight. Beethoven's music is more impressive than air conditioning. The courtly etiquette of King Louis' court is more meaningful than a UN deliberation. You have lost all sight of meaning, because meaning and communication lack material, and you cannot believe in anything which cannot be seen. You say if you had executed Christ, you would write up exactly those qualities of him which are praised to day; this is doubly ironic, for it is exactly opposite how the powers of the time treated him, and it is only by his followers (who have far outlasted the empire) that we see these qualities in him. Lastly, though, you have made no actual claim or argument on the facts or the philosophy or the theology. You have only tried to insult, and failed.

Why are you alive?

Actions speak louder than words, and just because you don't admit to something doesn't mean it isn't true.

Beats me.

>Actions speak louder than words
And? What actions have I taken that prove I'm scared?

I have a NEET friend that is kinda like you except he made himself think he's too retarded to do anything instead of the other way around.

Smart guys pretending to be retards, and retards pretending to be smart.

according to which philosophy should one spend one's life studying philosophy?

It sounds like you might genuinely have Narcissistic Personality Disorder, OP. It would likely be of great benefit for you to see a therapist. You probably won't due to the nature of Narcissism, but if you do, try to find one that is the same gender as you.

>It would likely be of great benefit for you to see a therapist
Therapists are a scam. They're charlatans and only useful to idiotic morons incapable of even basic introspection.

I am going to take a guess that you don't live in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Less than 150,000 people live there. If a man was crucified there right at this moment, how would you know? Imagine that there is no internet, there are no phones, no cars, nor trains, nor planes. Imagine ships take weeks to cross Lake Superior. And let's say many people are crucified--it is ordinary all across America. But this particular man that people are crucifying right now--about 200 people in Thundery Bay believe he is God incarnate. And, instead of getting angry at the killing of God and starting a riot, they instead--fearing persecution!--start a commune, not far from where the man is killed. How would you ever hear about this? Who would tell you? And what about your son, or grandson, or great-grandson? It is less likely that they would hear about it, for that would mean that the story of this man--who was seen as an indigent bum--was passed down over the generations. It was passed down even though people were continually killed for it. Even though it separated people from their families. The two hundred people would have to believe it so firmly that all their children believed it. Even that wouldn't be enough. They'd have to actually convince other people that it was true. Generation after generation would have to believe this story, each one relying only on the testimony of their forefathers. And imagine that for generations there are hardly any written copies of it, and most of the people who know the story can't even read anyways. How does this story survive? And certainly, whatever story it was could not be very good, right? It could not perfectly respond to thousands of years of Jewish scripture. It could not be expressed in terms of Greek and Latin philosophy so that even the most respected teachers were convinced of it. And consider, each person who shared this story, in order to share it and preserve it so carefully, would have to believe it in full. How could it be that 2000 years from now, the death of this essentially unknown man, out of all deaths, was held to be the death of God himself for the forgiveness of sins? I'm sure you will hand wave this away, like you do all things which are inconvenient to you; however, the more you look honestly at your fellow man, the more attention you give to the way they live their life, to how poorly they listen, how selfish they are, how stubborn they are, how short-sighted they are, how distrustful they are, you will come to realize that the Church and the Bible could not exist unless it were true.

You referenced civilizations, not me. I found it shallow too. Religion is an exoteric corpse. You go to church even though church is within you. Btw you can type all that bullshit up but I see through the telltales of a devil. If you are a lover of Christ, I am happy to hear that. I hope you act like him instead of preaching online...condemning people and what not....it really would be interesting if you were a loving person who is a 'slave' to Christ. Sadly I think you are someone who wants to convince people that 'catholicism' is right because your family or whatever are catholics.

If you were the roman empire, would you adopt christanity or gnosticism? It's obvious.

Really?

That's all you've got? "It's a really old story so it must be true". What an idiotic way of thinking.

So you believe other people who were seen as God are Gods too? Or are you only saying Christ because you are unfair?

You still don't see how delusional and fallacious it is to infer truth from the fact that it was preserved?

You're talking to a Christian. Look at the prose they write in. They have to write like that because common sense evades them. They want to trick you.

I didn't say civilizations are shallow. I said you can only see what is shallow in them. That is why I gave you the examples of civilization which, though immaterial, are better than some fruits we hold to be impressive today, but which are less significant. I am not condemning anyone here. I don't want any of you to suffer any more than you already have. So humble yourself before the Lord. I wish I were a slave to God. I am continually preparing for a Marian consecration, and always hesitating, always delaying, always postponing, always starting again from the beginning. And you're right, writing here is hardly a saintly task. I just know that I've spread enough hate and discord in my life, and it is only right that I help others who are like I was, so that they might not wander so far. I was proud. I am still proud. But it is good to be humble.

Goodwill is a result of goodwill. What you claim causes good, can be said for what causes bad. You might be right about God, I agree.

I'm really very sorry if that is what you think I am saying. I guess I assumed that if you were going to throw out Christianity, you would be more familiar with its history. It has not grown in the way other religions have grown. It does not say things other religions say. It is unique in this world. Yes, if you look only on the surface, it will look like any other old story. But I am asking you to consider the details, for it is in the details you will find it is impossible for the content to have arrived in this manner unless the content were true. The faith, as a phenomenon, cannot be explained by chance or invention or nature.

>The faith, as a phenomenon, cannot be explained by chance or invention or nature.

Prove it. The method you chose was proven fallacious.

Ah, I see. Is this the part of the conversation where, after realizing you do not know what I am saying about Christianity, you begin to talk only of your gnostic interpretation, as though you have something to teach me?

>it special so it true!
That's as retardedly fallacious as "it preserved so it true"

I'm not interested in teaching you that unless you asked me on a personal level. My points "Goodwill is a result of goodwill. What you claim causes good, can be said for what causes bad." are valid until you argue against them. Your argument that Christianity produced good values is countered by what I just said.

It was rhetoric, so no, it wasn't proven anything. Given that the history of the church is a known thing--history itself is a null hypothesis--it really falls upon you to explain how the history is false without introducing any contradictions.

I won't stop being a gnostic, you won't stop being a christian, but the claims you made like "christanity produces civilizations with good values" is countered by the evidence that those civilizations used christianity to justify very evil things too.

Those are both terrible, so it's a good thing I said neither. You should stop skimming, and pay attention how the sentences work together to communicate more than what any of them say on their own.

people in this thread have already told you twice you are being fallacious

>I dropped out of high school when I was sixteen because I was le intelligent philosopher but now I'm having a quarter-life crisis because I never learned how to orient myself toward a specific goal or attempt anything resembling structure with regard to pursuing said goal

Yawn

It is invalid to cry "fallacy" against rhetoric, which is not a formal logical argument. You, nor the other two, have come even close to understanding the argument, even though I have put it forward in multiple ways. Instead, you keep repeating yourselves and ignoring what has been added to the conversation. Of course, we can see how it's to your benefit, for now we are not discussing the matter at hand, but instead arguing over the argument itself. It's absurd. Let me see if I can say it even more clearly.

Christianity is impossible. Its transmission, its survival, its dominance, its content, its history--all of this must be taken as one thing, and each one contradicts all reasonable expectation. The existence of Christianity as a phenomenon of human activity in hostile nature is inexplicable.

The word you're looking for is "grandiosity".

I didn't make that claim.

>fallacy" against rhetoric, which is not a formal logical argument
Fallacies of means are most useful in defeating rhetoric, while they're useless in defeating a logical argument. And, yes, what you lamebrains are talking about are fallacies of means because they're the only ones you encounter in internet discussions, before you have to look that up.

Imagine being a quarter of a century old and still being this much of an insufferable edgelord about Christianity.

To be honest, I've never seen the term "fallacy of means" before, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can you please explain it to me?

damagemag.com/tag/perfectionism/

You dont hold yourself to any kind of standards, you are just a lazy bitch

This but I drink and I stopped reading

>sounds like you’re lazy
>no, I honestly feel like doing nothing

Attached: DC1C8425-1AD8-49C8-AB39-9CB4FE40B529.jpg (476x477, 22K)

If you didn’t care, you wouldn’t have had the thought in the first place. And are you really trying to argue Yea Forums is a valuable way of spending time?
Sounds like you’re too busy sniffing your farts to bother doing anything productive.

What's your point?

>If you didn’t care, you wouldn’t have had the thought in the first place
What kind of retard logic is that?

No human being is 100% sure of themselves, everyone always questions their path in life no matter how sure of it they are.
>And are you really trying to argue Yea Forums is a valuable way of spending time?
I said it was useful, I never said valuable.
>productive
Take your slave mentality elsewhere

>No human being is 100% sure of themselves, everyone always questions their path in life no matter how sure of it they are.
Sure, but you don’t even know if the path is for you or not. You just think about it and decide you don’t want to do it, instead of spending one of your limited days on this earth trying so you can actually determine from experience how you feel.
>productivity = wageslaving for 40 years
Classic NEET cope. You can be productive by doing lots of things, from learning an instrument to a language to picking up a sport.
You can be productive without having a job, you’re just too far up your own urethra to try.

Productivity itself is a slave mentality. There's nothing wrong with sitting under a tree until you die.

Just so you know, this opinion will only make sense to you for as long as you love nothing. Jacking off under a tree until you die and having done absolutely nothing to defend, cultivate, and nurture the things/people you love is the lowest form of waste. Anyone content with that is simply trying to make a witticism out of their own inability to function.

Attached: ERADICATED.jpg (640x712, 98K)

If you’re being productive for the sake of others, sure. But if you’re doing what you want to do on your own behalf, it can be quite rewarding.
If you’re happy doing nothing but sitting under a tree, there’s nothing wrong with doing so, but don’t act like it’s the fault of the activities rather than your own lack of motivation.

Why is Yea Forums the only board filled with unironic blog threads?

That's the facade that you're living behind - it's not the truth. For you, philosophy is an escape. How can you even apply or truly comprehend what you're reading if you have no life through which to do so?
>Justice is the interest of the stronger
Between Mom's kitchen and your bedroom, where might have you encountered this idea? Your books? That's a good start - but again, it's not real. There's no concreteness for you, no experiential confrontation with such an idea. How then could you possibly digest it? If you had a life, it would contribute to your understanding of such ideas, and such ideas could contribute to your understanding of life. But as it stands, this is just an escape for you. An excuse.
>but im seeking reason
No, puer aeternus, you're running away.
>Some pueri aeterni escape from the mother by means of...."thought airplanes" - going off into the air with some kind of philosophical theory or intellectual system.
>It is probably a last attempt on the part of the men to save their masculinity.
>They can slip out from under [their mother's] skirt into the realm of the intellect, where she cannot follow.
>...it is an initial attempt to escape the mother's power and the animus pressure by getting into the realms of books and philosophical discussion, which they think mother does not understand...

Attached: 2123182963123.jpg (400x525, 26K)

Based, everyone qqing in this thread about this is a triggered NPC and missed the point here entirely.

>I hold myself to a high standard and refuse to waste my life on worthless endeavours
Like studying philosophy?

Habits come first. Rationale comes second

Your ego is massively inflated, that's why you're depressed and anxious too. You don't even have to tell me, it is very obvious. Great people don't become great because they seek prestige or reification of self, they become great because they are gripped by passion and/or duty. If you want to be a writer, go and do it and be prepared to lose everything, but don't do it because you want to be a writer, do it because you want to write. You will most likely fail, you will most likely realize this world is incredibly vast and big, and that no one cares about you. Several greats of the past have been entirely unappreciated during their lives and yet kept on pushing. Some have, probably, never been recognized. Are you prepared for the same?

And by the way, this is the only sort of consistent attitude to hold as a philosopher. Philosophy is an entirely useless endeavor, and to recognize it as such, and stay true to it nonetheless, is the only right stance to take. Once you're able to appreciate it as such, and everything else you do, will you be freed from your neurotic self-inflicted suffering.

You obviously don't hold yourself to high standards if you've done nothing but sit in your room for 10 years reading philosophy. You think you hold yourself to high standards, and that's your excuse for doing nothing with your life.