>Faulkner
>Nabokov
>Dos Passos
>Salinger
>Updike
>O'Connor
>Hawthorne
>Bellow
Why is American literature so underrated?

Attached: Nylon-American-Flag-closeup.jpg (1500x1000, 211K)

What's Updike?

>Melville
>Faulkner
Good

The rest is just a giant cope for living in a judeo-capitalist hellscape. Except for Nabokov, who was a cosmopolite.

why omit Fitzgerald, Poe, Emerson, and Hemingway?

and Nabokov is not an american writer

Faulkner can't be great, he only wrote about stupid Southern farmers. He wasted his potential. Melville is the true genius.

It's only underrated among envious european pseuds. Everybody else is able to recognize the greatness of American literature.

I thought American literature was shit until I read Stoner, now I still think the same.

>Nabokov is not an american writer
He wrote books while he was an American citizen. I'd call that an American writer.

Stoner is suburban mom book club tier desu

All those writers are overrated. OP’s list is pretty good actually.

I found it very comfy to be honest, but it felt void somehow.

They might be overrated but it feels dumb to leave them out of a list of American literature.

the only ones i like in your list are henry james and dickinson

Not even american here. Faulkner is by far the best novelist of all time. Ulysses and The Recognitions are better than any of his work, but he has so many fucking masterpieces. He definitely has he most books in the top twenty, IMO.

The fact that Faulkner managed to encompass the human experience better than anyone while mostly writing about inbred rednecks is what makes him great.

A lot of people don't like to cheer for a winner

rude

>why omit Fitzgerald, Poe, Emerson, and Hemingway?
Maybe he hasn't read them, forgot to include, or has bad taste. Hemingway is America's best novelist

Is he really? My lamebrain hasn't read him yet, but I've seen a lot of backlash against him here recently

Poe is very underrated in my opinion.

damn, that good? im skeptical but ill give him a look

durn right

I think it’s perfectly rated

Barring the monster that is the USA trilogy, what of Dos Passos' work is worth reading? He's always intrigued me as a writer.

Manhattan Transfer. I rate it higher than the trilogy.

corncobby chronicles

ok i don't actually agree with that but it's one of the sickest literary burns ever

>It's only underrated among envious european pseuds
Pretty much this, but a lot of American literature is similarly underrated among American pseuds. Dashiell Hammet and Raymond Chandler for example are never discussed here.

thanks

Because they don't like the country, so they refuse to like anything it does by extent. See also: people saying shit like "Chinks are soulless bugmen ruled by an almighty state, their culture is just rape and genocide so they never wrote anything good anyway" even though China has a lot of good books.

I stayed away from him for a long time too. All I knew about his writing was from the common cliches: macho, a style that's almost ludicrously plain, and that his short stories are better than his mediocre novels. After reading his work I don't think any of that's accurate.

underrated reply

Who is doing the underrating?

Attached: 1568999325473.jpg (1232x1233, 209K)

No problem. It's highly stylized and somewhat unusually structured, though, so it's not for everyone.

left

I'm halfway through Stoner and, besides Billy Budd, it's the first american book I read that isn't complete shit.

Why is american literature so overrated?

>Why is american literature so overrated?
Why are you so poorly read, and why do you have such poor taste? Can’t answer your question without a better idea of your mental malfunction.

>Nabokov the cosmopolite
how many less writers would a country like Ireland 'have' if we used this criteria? would they get Joyce?

also I think there's a clear influence of American life and culture on books like Lolita, Pnin, etc.

i think if you spend the first 20ish years of your life in a country, then that is really the country you belong to, it formed your mind.

Unrelated but can someone tell me what the figure of speech is called where for example you say ‘the city’ to mean Rome? Metonymy seems similar but not the same thing.

Sounds interesting. I've enjoyed a lot of modernist texts I've read so I hope it'll be for me.

which american novels have you read? stoner doesn't even belong in the top 100.

>when your literature is so poor that you must claim foreign writers
kek the absolute state of burgoids

this

not really, it comes off as classist and ignorant.

>NOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN’T HAVE DISDAIN FOR LOWER SOCIAL CLASSES!!! THAT’S CLASSIST!!!!

Attached: D7F9EF3B-6F9D-4AC1-92DB-BB7D8B5BDC4E.png (785x1000, 254K)

You can, but it's retarded to apply it to fictional characters. And Nabokov is popular among söyboys so I don't know what you mean.

>udeo-capitalist hellscape
why do europeans think stringing together vague platitudes is meaningful

the only good american literature was written south of the mason-dixon line

That's just your Southern pride speaking. In the 20th century publishers and journalists began treating Southern writers the way minority writers are treated today, giving them special attention and overrating them because they felt they were underrepresented in the past. Virtue signaling ain't new.

Antonomasia.

>e 20th century publishers and journalists began treating Southern writers the way minority writers are treated today, giving them special attention and overrating them because they felt they were underrepresented in the past.
lol no

>when your countries are so shitty that anybody with any intelligence flees the first chance he gets
kek the absolute state of Eurolards

when lesbian hermaphrodites get a clitoral erections