do you like semicolon?

Attached: semicolon.jpg (968x681, 14K)

ye

I love semicolons; they're great.

yes; yes

I love semicolons. They're great.*

I find it a bit confusing
is this a correct use of semicolons?

That's how I was taught to use them; don't make fun of me, faggots.

That's how I was taught to use them. Don't make fun of me, faggots.*

Yeah it's correct usage. You just use it to link to independent clauses, so like replacing a comma and conjunction.

I don't think I've ever used a semicolon in serious writing. I always opt for commas or separate sentences.

>semi
did it have cancer?

He's using them correctly you dingdong. The only caveat is that typically the two clauses are supposed to be related to one another in concept, though I don't think it's a requirement.

I know. I just hate semicolons because they're redundant.

I know; I just hate semicolons because they're redundant.*

Yeah I feel it; as I said above, I never use them. It's kinda fun to try though. Apparently they are also correct to use before conjunctions when there are multiple dependent clauses and other comma-using sections in a more complex sentence, in order to clean it up a bit.

lel

is it meant to be used somewhere where u could use either a comma or a colon and instead do both, cause thats how ive been using them my whole life

Upvoted

Not at all; I'm sorry.

Moreso when either a comma + conjunction or a period works

Best way to use it is as a list separator where a list element contains a comma, similar to alternating ( and [ in math.

The asterix comes first you stupid zoomers

I use them this way mostly. I think it makes the separate components of the list clearer especially when you are using a conjunction in one

Ye; s

>colon, then list with commas divided by semicolons
The only chad way to use them

I like most of the functions in English, particularly the em dash. The semicolon is a fine tool though.

The asterisk comes first, you stupid zoomers*.

*Cringe.

I was told semi colons are used to replace a coma, and whenever you feel like it.

interrobang is better.

I abuse semi-colons just like I abused your mom last night, OP.

Attached: 67095449_2638157559550419_8180782912027754496_n.jpg (1347x1902, 273K)

Yes. It is tactical map of woman from below.

>asterix

Attached: th.jpg (278x259, 7K)

yes; YES

It's a powerful tool when you know how to use it

semicolons were invented by smartass students who were too lazy to fix their comma splices

Do you like ancient Greek punctuation marks;

It can be used to great effect. Usually in delineating big complex sentences.

>In M…, an important city in upper Italy, the widowed Marquise von O…, a lady of excellent reputation and the mother of several well-raised children, let it be known through the newspapers that without her knowledge she had become expectant; that the father of the child to whom she would give birth should declare himself; and that she, out of family considerations, was resolved to marry him.

All you need is commas and periods

Attached: 220px-Cormac_McCarthy_(Outer_Dark_author_portrait).jpg (220x240, 17K)

I hate what the edgy community has done with it: transforming it into a symbol of overcoming suicide.
>The semicolon represents our unwillingness to give up and put a full stop to our struggle in death
Bitch, some sentences, paragraphs, pages need to end some fucking time. They are just, in my opinion, perpetuating the same sentence that has gone for too long; it is a synonim for conformity in meaning.
Also, in Spanish we have an idiom which translates literally to "turn the page over", to leave hard times behind (after your gf leaves you and you overcome your depression? You turn the page over). The semi-colon tattoo literally represents clinging on to old ideas that brought you pain; the necessity for self-pity and attention.
And a semi-eternal reminder that you are a pussy.

Also in zeugmas.
>Carl was wearing a cardigan; Lucy, a sweater; John, a blazer; and Zimmer was swingin' his dick around.

Samefag here.
I am reading about project semicolon, and guess what?
The founder offed herself.

Attached: Sin título2.jpg (516x470, 34K)

who the fuck uses punctuation anyway lmao

Anybody but phoneposters.

Heh

>asterix

Attached: Asterix.jpg (662x936, 85K)

Sure? You definitely want them for lists of pairs. They also can join sentences, but it's annoying when people think semicolons are just "periods but faster." Rules can be broken, but when you have so many other ways to set pace it's poor form to force it through punctuation.

overrated and prime vehicle for pretentiousness

I have no problem with semicolons; it's using them properly i have a problem with.

javascript

Only if there isn't a better alternative, which there almost always is.

yes but i never use it because it looks like ur winking ;)

I know C++ so no I actually hate them with a passion

hehe :o

The last time I was in the nutter one of the MH techs had a semicolon tattoo. Shit had me like "lol."

> asterix

I used to say that. Felt pretty stupid when I realised I was wrong.

In y'all's defense it is q word more commonly heard than read

I love it to the point I think I overuse them. I like writing in long sentences with few pauses in between, and a semicolon is the perfect compromise between a comma and a "and".

Attached: 1568895307791.png (1920x1080, 1.74M)

Also, Asterix's own name is a pun on the "*"

Semicolons are great for making emoticons;_;

That's the question mark.

Don't you know that already bet you to it?

The semicolon is useful as it allows a greater layering of complex thought in writing; the semicolon allows an increase in the density of thought by implying a closer relationship between clauses than would otherwise be implied by a period. I use the semicolon whenever it's necessary, however it's uncommonly appropriate in vulgar writing.

In ancient times I've been known and worshipped as the semicolon god.