Which is best to read first?

Which is best to read first?

Attached: 001706The-Iliad-The-Odyssey3.jpg (695x552, 123K)

Well the odyssey literally takes place directly after the iliad and frequently references it...

Flip a coin, roll a dice.

>translation
learn greek retard

Based and logicpilled

Obviously The Iliad, dummy.

The Iliad you daft cunt.

Didn't we already read The Odyssey in 5th grade?

>reading it just once in your life

Don't make the books stand like that, you are going to tear them AAAAAAA

they are deckle-edged so they are already fucked up

The Odyssey. It's shorter, easier to follow, and doesn't have a pleb filter like the Iliad's ship catalogue.

>he got the meme editions
just throw them in the thrash and watch the Pitt movie, that's more your speed.

>literally takes place directly after the iliad
t. absolutely clueless ignorant

The Iliad. The Odyssey is basically just The Iliad 2

you're trolling right

The Illiad then The Fall Of Troy and then The Oddyssey and then The Aneid.

>Which is best to read first
Cliffs Notes

Some kind of background mythology and/or history text first hopefully.

Idk who cliff is, but he has to be rich by now.

>and then The Aneid.
don't fall for the meme

>fell for the meme of not falling for the meme

Snake eye you fap to it

which translation do I read

what wrong wit em

Do American seriously read The Oddysey in 5th grade? Here in Norway we never encounter greek literature. The homeric epics was mentioned with just one sentence in my history books from high school, thats all. Y'all read the whole thing?

The Iliad, then the Odyssey. That way the story is in chronological order and you understand all the references to the Iliad. Afterwards you can(and should) read the Aneid.

all of them
the deckle-edges

> not knowing that you should just skip the catalogue of ships

very not based

no serushly what wrong wit em i don know what deckel edg is

Yup. In 5th grade we read lotf, rifles for watie, much ado about nothing, and the odyssey.

they were never considered on the same level by the greeks themselves, not even close. the iliad captured the essence of the greek civilization, while the odyssey was no more and no less than a good book.

The pages are cut like in pic related, making the book unreadable. Get the regular Penguin Classics edition, which has literally the same content but it's much cheaper. If you already have either version just read those.

Attached: 234324342342.jpg (900x900, 61K)

this is a good way to ensure noone ever reads these texts

Why didn't they just call it that, then?

The Iliad: Achilles vs Hector
The Iliad 2: Odysseus's Adventures
The Iliad 3: Troy's Revenge

Homer had a bad publisher

This was also the feeling I got while reading them. I enjoyed the Odyssey a bit more than the Iliad, but it didn't have the same grandeur and weight the Iliad had. This actually made me ultimately prefer the Iliad over it.

because all of those sound retarded

>skipping 265 lines out of 15,693, approximately 1.69% of the entire epic

Why are you even here if you don't read the whole thing?

Michael Reck

Anthony Verity

this is they gayest thing i've heard all day

kek

The iliad. You cant appreciate the Odyssey in full without seeing what all the men who went over and fought at Troy went through, and you wont appreciate why its such a big deal when Odysseus gets home.
To put it bluntly, the men who fought at Troy were a cut above those at home. This is shown in the odyssey but you wont appreciate it without the iliad

Rieu’s Iliad, Chapman’s Odyssey

Attached: 80EDBCF9-1BA0-4FC3-80D3-5456959E24E9.jpg (640x987, 88K)

>translation

Attached: image.jpg (654x720, 279K)

I thought I would hate deckle edges but I just read Gravity's Rainbow with them and had no issues. I actually kind of liked the texture.

Troy Wars 1: The Phthian Menace
Troy Wars 2: Attack of the Cyclops
Troy Wars 3: Revenge of the Trojans

lattimore

Neither, go outside and get some fresh air you fucking dweeb. Jesus, do any of you fucking mouthbreathers think about anything other than books? Get out there and get a job you goddamn loser.

I know you just wait and see

Attached: Screenshot_142.png (644x644, 936K)

Lol are you joking? The catalogue is crucial; if you didn't read it you haven't even read the Iliad, despicable casual

thats the one I have and I hate it. Wish I had got the Picador edition.

Here is the correct reading order:
The eternal #1 in the list of lost books I want found:The full Greek Epic Cycle of Troy, much of which is lost, except in fragments and later summaries. The eight works together told the entire history of the Trojan War in epic verse.

1. Cypria (11 books by Stasinus): the events leading up to the Trojan War and the first nine years of the conflict, especially the Judgement of Paris.(fifty lines remain of the original text)

2. Iliad (24 books by Homer): Achilles' rage against first king Agamemnon and then the Trojan prince Hector, ending with Achilles killing Hector in revenge for the death of Patroclus and Priam coming to Achilles to ransom Hector's body. (full manuscripts remain of the original text)

3. Aethiopis 5 books by Arctinus): the arrival of the Trojan allies, Penthesileia the Amazon and Memnon; their deaths at Achilles' hands in revenge for the death of Antilochus; Achilles' own death. (only five lines remain of the original text)

4. Ilias Mikra ("Little Iliad" 4 books by Lesches): events after Achilles' death, including the building of the Trojan Horse and the Awarding of the Arms to Odysseus. (nearly thirty lines remain of the original text)

5. Iliou persis ("Sack of Troy" 2 books by Arctinus): the destruction of Troy by the Greeks. (only ten lines remain of the original text)

6. Nostoi ("Returnings" 5 books by Agias or Eumelus): the return home of the Greek force and the events contingent upon their arrival, concluding with the returns of Agamemnon and Menelaus. (five and a half lines remain of the original text)

7. Odyssey (24 books by Homer): the end of Odysseus' voyage home and his vengeance on his wife Penelope's suitors, who have devoured his property in his absence.(full manuscripts remain of the original text)

8. Telegony (2 books by Eugammon): Odysseus' voyage to Thesprotia and return to Ithaca, and death at the hands of an illegitimate son Telegonus. (only two lines remain of the original text)

Maybe someday... from Oxyrhynchus or another treasure-trove.

Second this

My fucking sides