Gnosticism

Ok.. where tf do i start on this big boi of secrets and wizardry

Attached: 1E58DE7E-9EA7-4714-93CF-A8D39107A093.jpg (550x360, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wvJAgrUBF4w)
youtube.com/watch?v=rzjrl24aHiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WDEBz25lGdY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you have to wait for your owl
if it hasn’t come, it might not
are you a muggle?

Stephan A. Hoeller - Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing

Attached: Arcane.jpg (561x480, 160K)

did someone here study occultism for a few years and eventually realized it was an utter waste of time?

Honestly, A Voyage to Arcturus

If you want history I'd suggest the following:
The Gnostic Gospels - Elaine Pagels
Adam, Eve & The Serpent - Elaine Pagels

If you want the actual texts read the Nag Hammadi Library (I'd start with The Gospel of Thomas)

The Dead Sea Scrolls by John Allegro is on my reading list.

Attached: 51cgjhHCYLL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (320x499, 39K)

The only people that stick with it are schizos or schzio-adjacents. It can be interesting but it's a fruitless endeavor if you're looking for some kind of enlightenment.

Well, I'm not that user, but it seems like, of what's extant, there are so many similar but disparate elements within the fragments of what we have that trying to talk about "the Gnostics" as a singular an unable thing is basically asking to activate a mental disorder.

this. gnostics are just fledgling neoplatonists

Say what thou wilt but Adorno irreparably BTFO all occulticism and mysticism with just 2 or 3 aphorisms, once you see it called “metaphysics for children” once you can’t really go back

What would a metaphysics for sophisticated adults entail?

>study occultism

lmao

Love

Attached: 77CECE34-F1E2-4D21-9F46-46177418EF8B.gif (499x230, 328K)

>reading anything written by a woman

I talked to a guy a while ago who worshiped the demiurge in some weird way (very idolatrous) and his philosophy heavily relied on will to power / affirmation of life. I don't want to do him an injustice by mis-characterizing his belief system, but he viewed the demiurge as this incomprehensible affirmation of "nature/life" (they way things naturally come together / exist, similar to entropy, a way of life without thought or conception) on a cosmic level.

Should be obvious, but he was living his life and beliefs as a revolt against platonism and he himself tried to be as pure of thought as possible. He talked about this concept of existing purely as a being of cognition and instinct; doing complex actions as a result of exclusively subconscious thoughts.

Wasn't the whole of the gnostic body of texts found to be written well after the New Testament? Like Hermeticism, seems blatantly fraudulent.

Unlike the NT, which was written by that reporter what followed JC around his last few years.

Where do I start with alchemy? I want to conduct transmutations (metaphorically of course).

Plotinus, Against the Gnostics

Plotinus - Against the Gnostics

The Gospel of Thomas represents the most primitive form of Jesus traditions, and many of its sayings are thought by scholars to be extremely early.

yes

>study
hardly the correct term. most of it is nonsense. some of it is really dangerous. pray to our Father in heaven, kids, like Jesus himself taught you. pride, the hubris of thinking you know better, is the #1 way to fuck up your life.

no, gnostic ideas existed in the early Church. Marcion and the reactionaries against him were instrumental in the formation of Christianity as we know it.

There is a theory that the Gospel of Thomas actually predates the New Testament Gospels, as it is simply a collection of sayings of Jesus (many of which overlap with the New Testament) with no narrative. The idea is that at an early stage there was a Works Gospel, which would have simply been a list of Jesus's miracles with descriptions, and a Sayings Gospel, which would have been like the Gospel of Thomas, a collection of sayings. All other Gospels would have been assembled by frequent reference to these two or derivative of another gospel that was assembled in such a way.

The Nag Hammadi Libray, obviously. AND IF ANYBODY SAYS MARVIN W. MEYER'S TRANSLATION, I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU!

Just read the Bible and Catholic Catechism and realize Gnosticism is heresy.

Thank you for posting this. Loving it so far.

>catholicism in 2019
lmao larping trad'ers are the worst

The Gnostic Scriptures by Bentley Layton is a good companion to the Nag Hammadi Library by James Robinson

Has anybody made a variant of that picture where he tries to get back but can't, because there is an abstract angel with a flaming sword preventing it?

What's wrong? Don't like reading about the Child of Humanity?

the secret is you will be on a fast track to pride, narcissism, delusion and hell once you really get into Gnosticism.
winning.

you won't find anything useful on this catholicism LARP board
>not deleting at least one of them
you are so retarded

Yea. I was obsessed with trying to learn how to tell the future through symbolism/numerology. Much in the same way sound can manifest itself physically (youtu.be/wvJAgrUBF4w) I believed that time behaved in the same way, that life was pre determined and certain patterns/numbers revealed certain aspects of time.

Have you read Land’s theory of hyperstition and how art predicts future events? Through a heavy process of autism I collapsed it with Jung’s theory that the greatest artists express truth without understanding it because they manage to channel the collective unconscious into works of art. Because future events emerge from current and past events, I’ve taken it to mean that the ability for people to express future events is because the collective unconscious contains knowledge of future events, which are contained in the knowledge of current and past events. However, there are infinitely possible futures from the events that we’ve been exposed to so far (the ones people express most, for instance, societal collapse and environmental disasters, are merely the most likely events. This could also include what symbols are used), and we aren’t predetermined towards any specific future event. Basically, I believe we aren’t powerless as we have the ability to decide our futures

If you have any interest in how other people have had a mania for numerology, you should check out Sade's 120 Days of Sodom. He was interred in a French prison while writing it with no set date of release, and began to believe that he could use numerology to determine his release, to the point where he started flipping out on his wife to stop torturing him with codes in her letters and just tell him when he was getting released, and it manifests in a distracting degree of emphasis on numbers in the novel. The film adaptation even makes a joking reference to it.

Thankfully I haven't put too much time into studying this shit in any serious capacity. I'm mostly interested in mainstream contemporary philosophy, and my personal beliefs are essentially a form naturalistic platonism and mild universalism.

I probably wont ever spend too much time on any of this stuff, since I don't really have any occult or superstitious proclivities, but I will say that I have developed somewhat of a layman's interest in the subject with all the Epstein stuff and the related Pizzagate fiasco that's received a lot (albeit not enough) attention in the last few months.

What do you mean by "blatantly fraudulent". I don't mean to mischaracterize your position, but perhaps you're suffering from some epistemic bias? At least insofar as you've failed to realize that Jews could raise the same Criticism against Christian teachings.

Both sound interesting. Thanks for the recommendations

>At least insofar as you've failed to realize that Jews could raise the same Criticism against Christian teachings.
We can use Christian methodology; from their fruits you shall know them.
Discerning Christian civilization(s) from the Jewish ones should be easy.

>Discerning Christian civilization(s) from the Jewish ones should be easy.
They are both Judeo-Christian thus Semitic

>they are both anti-Christian-Christian thus Semitic
You didn't really refute me, either. Had you stated that they produce equally bad fruit, you would have a point. Now you merely indicate their lineage - not that Judaic civilization is inherently inhumane and unsustainable.

I think you're missing the point user.

You say that gnosticism offers an illegitimate interpretation of early Christian teachings.

I'm saying the Jews could just as well say that the New Testament is an illegitimate interpretation. In fact they do say this, as can be seen in the Jewish criticism of "exoteric" reading of the Talmud (which are generally the reading endorsed by Christians).

We're all gonna make it.

Jesus loves you

But the Church doesn't

>De même, il en est qui ne peuvent pas entendre prononcer le mot d’« ésotérisme » (dont nous n’abusons pas, on en conviendra) sans penser immédiatement à l’occultisme ou à d’autres choses du même genre, dans lesquelles il n’y a pas trace de véritable ésotérisme ; il est incroyable que les prétentions les plus injustifiées soient si facilement admises par ceux mêmes qui auraient le plus grand intérêt à les réfuter ; le seul moyen efficace de combattre l’occultisme, c’est de montrer qu’il n’a rien de sérieux, qu’il n’est qu’une invention toute moderne, et que l’ésotérisme, au vrai sens de ce mot, est tout autre chose que cela en réalité. Il en est aussi qui, par une autre confusion, croient pouvoir traduire « ésotérisme » par « gnosticisme » ; ici, il s’agit de conceptions authentiquement plus anciennes, mais l’interprétation n’en est pas pour cela plus exacte ni plus juste. Il est assez difficile de savoir aujourd’hui d’une manière précise ce que furent les doctrines assez variées qui sont réunies sous cette bien des distinctions à faire ; mais, dans l’ensemble, il apparaît qu’il y eut là des idées orientales plus ou moins défigurées, probablement mal comprises par les Grecs, et revêtues de formes imaginatives qui ne sont guère compatibles avec la pure intellectualité ; on peut assurément trouver sans peine des choses plus dignes d’intérêt, moins mélangées d’éléments hétéroclites, d’une valeur beaucoup moins douteuse et d’une signification beaucoup plus sûre

Attached: cb0439673283b8b86031234a5e76f517.jpg (236x340, 12K)

>I'm saying the Jews could just as well say that the New Testament is an illegitimate interpretation.
It's not arbitrary.
They lost: their temple, their lineages, their patriarchal nature (they are matrilineal now), their priesthood, their nation and their right to sacrifice.
For two thousand years. It's clear to all which one is theologically and morally correct.

Listen to Mckennas talk about it, it will give you a good chart of what you wanna get in to.

youtube.com/watch?v=rzjrl24aHiQ

Isn't gnosticism just basically a low key satanism that bridges apostate christianity to literal luciferianism? that's why there's so much shilling going on all the boards?

youtube.com/watch?v=WDEBz25lGdY

Attached: 1568860878114.png (500x500, 129K)

It was started by some jews who were smart enough to realize that YHVH cannot be God. It goes down from there

Isn't Christianity basically a method to rape altarboys?

>some of it is really dangerous.
How so?

Lucifer is good though

>Isn't gnosticism just basically a low key satanism
No. Gnosticism doesn't worship the God of this world; aka. Satan.
Gnosticism does seek a way out. The main separation from Christianity is that it has a better understanding of human souls (hylics, psychics and pneumatic), but refuses to acknowledge any merit to the physical world.

Isn't Judaism just a baby torture machine that stands outside of time?