Why do redditors have this mentality that knowledge, wisdom...

Why do redditors have this mentality that knowledge, wisdom, and intellect is something you gain like leveling up in an RPG?

Attached: images-1.jpg (272x185, 13K)

I don't know. Why don't you write a book about it and then your thread might be fit for this board.

They are, all of them, mentally seven years old.

>gaining knowledge of things by reading about them is reddit now

Reddit is retarded but so are you.

Why do other people striving for improvement make you seethe so much?

Attached: B87B21DC-37EB-48C9-BE3A-B42608E2BBD8.jpg (850x400, 47K)

Because they don't actually come away from reading these things a little wiser so they resort to quantitative gold star bullshit like how many pages they read instead and hope that'll magically ferment into a wisdom down the line

>Proust
I know for a fact that no one has ever read through the full book and actually enjoyed it.

Fiction & self-improvement are mutually exclusive.

>finish 20 pages
>stop reading mid-sentence
Genius

Literally all they mentioned is reading goals, faggot. Not wisdom or intellect. Maybe you should take their pleb advice and read more because you certainly don't have reading comprehension.

>Reading books like it's some video game high score.

You're acting like the people of Yea Forums don't use books and the names of philosophers the same way a child uses pokemon cards. Somebody post that copypasta again.

>improvement

Self-"""improvement""" is just a cope.

I think the redditors point was that you can easily make time to read great works of literature and shouldn’t make excuses

i genuinely don't notice much of that happening around here. It's mostly flamewars about this or that philosopher/novelist

>It's impossible to get better at something by practicing it. We all know Einstein was born with his innate mastery or the violen and knowledge of general relativity and he did not have to practice or study at all. This is why I stay inside my mom's basement all day and never try at all.

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 7K)

I don't know it's almost as if the rise and grind RPG mentality has serious consequences huh

Not the same thing. Striving to get better at a certain topic out of passion is entirely different from self-improvement, as the latter lacks any subjective substance and is masturbatory.

lots of assumptions here bud

everything is a "cope" you mong

Life affirmation isn’t.

it is

>proust
>woolf
>reading ulysses as a person who needs to be motivated to read more than 20 pages a day
yikes.

Attached: 1536361138442.jpg (792x520, 70K)

he stole the theory you goy

Fair enough.

based

That's a correct answer.

this mentions nothing about intelligence and is clearly just a schedule for people who feel as if they lack the time required to read a book. You're a faggot

Proust was a shitter. If he weren't already dead I'd get a bunch of my buddies together and we'd beat his scrawny Parisian ass.

It’s the same way in academia, admit to not reading a book and you will get bert stared, but in reality most people have an extremely shallow understanding of what they do read. I admit to not having read tons of shit in my grad program but when the conversations gets to an author I know about (Tolstoy, Faulkner, Augustine) I realize people are lying or read the books once and have forgotten all but the most basic scenes and concepts.

I remember asking my teacher if he got to do philosophy in his bachelor in university, and he said yes, so I start asking him about Nietzsche and Sartre because I had just started and he just blank stares me and then dodges my questions, this experience has reverberated and acts very similar to it have happened multiple more times that I'm actually in university myself. It's sad.

If were reading Ulysses, I'd need some serious motivation to read 20 pages a day.

4vhan also has this.mentality, specially lit and mu. Maybe tv and co.

This is not a bad thing per se. It is only bad if you don't realize real improvement is made through reflexion and one's own thoughts, and that reading too.much will erase your own voice. Ironically, this thought isn't mine.

Very much true

Passion might lie in things you haven't experienced yet. Why should people try and broader their horizons.

yes i kinda agree. you changed my mind